Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

SD Black Hills Whitetail

Dooger

First post (lurker)!

Couple last minute things are coming to mind as I prepare to camp and hunt in the Hills this coming week. I’m coming from Upper MI as a first timer. I’m a big woods hunter and like to get back in where there’s not much pressure. Not planning on road hunting one bit. More of a still hunter.

Do I need the $20 permit to cut wood for my wall tent while on NF land? All other areas I’ve camped I don’t need it as the wood would be used for a temporary camp. I plan on stopping at the district office anyways, but just thought I’d ask.

Also, can you guys post some pics for me? I’m looking for a bigger deer, but don’t want to pass up something I probably should’ve shot. I’d like a 120”, but I’m not sure how feasible that is from what I’ve read.

Thanks in advance!

7EA30497-8CC1-49B0-9661-AA104276A643.jpg little hills buck
FDD86578-B1EC-415D-930B-828E31702CF4.jpgAverage hills bucks.
7F110234-EF08-4117-8BAE-883AEA4D2B62.jpgAbove average hills bucks, I wouldn’t pass on these.
A53E0D6C3-4938-4DDA-B0A1-EF4A462236E0.jpg Another above average deer.

This is my first time posting pictures, so hopefully it worked out. As for the fire wood I’m not 100% but I think you do need a permit. I stayed at a FS campground this summer and they had a lot of rounds stacked all over any they said I could take them though. Either way good luck. Hope you have a good time. Where abouts in the hills are you planning on going? Sorry for the sideways pics, I don’t know what I did wrong.

Last edited:
Thanks! That helps. Hopefully I can find a good one N, S or W of Custer. Looks like the highs are in the 50’s next week though. How long should I hold out for an above average buck? I hunt hard and get back into some country.

Jeez I don’t know man, I’m originally from the Lead/Deadwood area so the furthest south I’ve been is around the hill city area. I will say that the two bigger euro mounts that I have were deadheads found in that area. I think they should be pretty frisky next week honestly so the chances are a little higher to run into something bigger. I don’t think you need to go balls to the wall with getting into the roughest terrain. If you do that’s great, but I think you’ll be walking by a lot of deer to get there. Still hunt the ridges and it should produce. I’ve always wanted to go west of Custer where the jasper fire burned but like I said that was a hell of a drive. Good luck

I think you’ll only have to hunt half as hard as you want to. From what I’ve seen, the buck:doe rate is out of whack- does EVERYWHERE. Chances are, you’ll see a pile driving around. As far as buck size, I think there are good ones out there, but I would be happy to settle with that 110” range.

Wish I could help with the firewood, but I’d be happy to hear what you find out, hoping to draw a whitetail tag in the next year or two

Got a call back from the Hell Canyon Ranger District; no need for a camping permit or firewood permit.

Thanks guys!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back