Montana whitetail

brockel

Went out to do chores and this guy was creeping across a block management stubble field. Told myself even though he wasn’t what I was looking for that if he was still there after I was done doing chores I’d make a move on him since it was the last day I’d get to deer hunt this year. Sure enough he was still out in the stubble field. I grabbed the wife’s 6.5-06 as that’s what was in the pickup. Ranged him at 483 yards. Got settled in and touched it off. Didn’t quite give enough wind and the 140 berger took him through the liver but shrapneled his lungs too. He made a 30 yard dash and down he went.

Also came over a hill and found an antelope buck that had tried to jump the fence and hung his leg. He hadn’t been there long as he was still full of piss and vinegar. Took some prying with a crescent wrench and a piece of 1” square tubing to get the wires spread enough to push his leg back through. Was a bit of a rodeo with me having to dive out of the way once he came loose and decided running my direction was a good idea

Attachments

• 1807981C-C9CB-4F86-B512-66C1C39BE3FB.jpg
    1807981C-C9CB-4F86-B512-66C1C39BE3FB.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 526
That's an opportunity meant to be taken. Congrats. Good job on the antelope release. I often wondered how those events might work out....for the guy doing the release.

Nice buck but even better that you saved that antelope!

Good shooting. Have you chrono'd that 26-06? Sounds like interdastin' rocketry. Maybe throw an Ackley shoulder into a formula.

Well done. Great job on the release... its things like this that the anti-hunters never see or hear about, how many of them would risk injury to get an agitated animal out of a fence for no more reason than it was the right thing to do. Well done indeed!!

Good shooting. Have you chrono'd that 26-06? Sounds like interdastin' rocketry. Maybe throw an Ackley shoulder into a formula.

RL26 will push a 140 almost 3100fps. Wife didn’t like the recoil so she’s shooting a mild load of h4831 at 2850fps. If I was going to Ackley it I’d go 6.5-280 Ackley that way it’s a simple neck down using a 280 Ackley bushing die with the proper bushing. Cheaper than 6.5-06 Ackley dies and no fireforming

Congrats on the nice deer and antelope release.

Releasing an antelope was probably stressful enough, then having it run your direction, man that had to be a major adrenaline rush.

Congrats on another average day in Montana! ...Jealous. Although we don't have any of that white stuff on the ground here yet.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back