Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Equipment Question - New Bowhunter

Nice. I especially like the pink stabilizer and sling. :hump:

Seriously though, all great advice from my HT friends. I have purchased a nearly new Diamond Edge SB-1 locally for next to nothing and will be getting it set up, new string and cables and tuned at the local archery shop. They will get my proper draw length identified also. I have signed up for a newby class, and will be joining the local archery club this coming Tuesday at their monthly meeting.

Looking forward to a different hunting experience this coming season.

The Edge will work just fine for you. It's super adjustable and can be made to fit you with out any problems. Now start shooting with the club and building your muscles. Just a word of caution don't over due the shooting, stop when your tired. Shooting tired is a great way to develop bad habits and they are a bugger to get rid of. Start with a light weight and work your way up a little at a time. Now go enjoy!!!!

Dan

to the folks recommending high end equipment:
1)the gentleman is 55 yr old and has never hunted with a bow, you dont even know if he can pull 45# which is the usual low end or most bows, he is getting into a sport when most guys his age are getting out of it due to physical issues.
2) he clearly states he has a 400.00 budget, he needs the entire enchilada, i am guessing bow,sight,quiver,peep,release,arrows,case,broadheads etc
3)he states he has never archery hunted before, bearing this in mind, how do we know he will like it.

taking these points into consideration why would anything more than a suitable entry level bow, to first see if the person can draw a bow of adequate weight to hunt game.

next, see if his body can shoot 20 arrows/night for a month without pain.

then, see if he enjoys it.

lastly, see if he enjoys hunting with archery equipment.

you folks are assuming, he can draw a heavy bow, that he will enjoy shooting a bow,that his body will allow him to shoot enough arrows to get proficient without pain, and lastly that he will enjoy archery hunting.

start at the entry level, until you are comfortable that this is something you really wanna do.

if you like it like we do you will get big and better soon enough.

here you go used everything you need for hunting except arrows/broadheads under 200.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Diamond-Ar...age-Case-Release/273601393789?redirect=mobile

The Edge will work just fine for you. It's super adjustable and can be made to fit you with out any problems. Now start shooting with the club and building your muscles. Just a word of caution don't over due the shooting, stop when your tired. Shooting tired is a great way to develop bad habits and they are a bugger to get rid of. Start with a light weight and work your way up a little at a time. Now go enjoy!!!!

Dan

Exactly what I am doing. At my age, I don't suffer from "pride" issues, so starting out at 40lbs to build up the muscles and develop proper technique is more important. I don't have "equipment envy" so I did not feel the need to spend a ton of $ to impress other archers. Frankly, I could have spent much more on a bow if I felt it was necessary, but I figured $400.00 was a good target. I'll get a high end bow when I feel I have the base skill set to justify it.

I am in good shape for my age, but I have found those muscles that had not been used much in the shoulders. I have shot at the club and try to get in about 20-25 arrows in the garage each night concentrating on smooth draw and smooth release.

Appreciate everyone's advice. I'm looking forward to a new chapter in my hunting "career".

Last edited:
Go to your local archery shop, give them the requirements and budget. I'm sure they have some old models which suitable for you.

Well, thought I would add an update to this thread after about a month.

As I stated above, I was able to pick up a Diamond SB-1 locally for a excellent price. I also joined the local archery club so I could shoot regularly (those of you who are not on a small city lot, count your blessings). I have been out to shoot a couple of times and pretty much like riding a bike once and not forgetting how to do it, I did OK. 4-5" groupings at 20yds with an occasional "flyer".

Jump ahead to last Wednesday where I had a 1 on 1 training session at our local archery shop. What a difference that made! The instructor adjusted my draw length (shortened it by 1") which in turn changed my anchor points to a much more comfortable position. Adjusted the length of my release (shorter) so I could get my whole index finger on it instead of my finger tip. This made it much easier to release with a little back tension and not a firm trigger pull. Much smoother release. Also got me to change my "death grip" to a light thumb pad positioning on the bow riser. Now I am shooting a consistent 3" arrow grouping at 20yds and about 4-5" at 30yds and 5-6" at 40yds. Far fewer "flyers". I am not planning on taking any shots farther than 40 yds this next upcoming deer season mainly due to eyesight issues anyway.

Being a wearer of glasses, I can see a definite problem with getting a clear sight picture centering the peep with the front sight housing. I have also decided that I need larger pins as the ones I have now are small and seem to disappear when focusing on the target. I may try contacts in the future or finally pull the trigger on Lasik.

For those of you who are like me who are new to archery, I highly recommend spending time with an instructor. It was well worth it. A 1 hour investment has cut my groups nearly in half. Now I just have to implement everything together and execute.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you found something and are making progress. Now its just practice, practice, and practice.

Well, thought I would add an update to this thread after about a month.

As I stated above, I was able to pick up a Diamond SB-1 locally for a excellent price. I also joined the local archery club so I could shoot regularly (those of you who are not on a small city lot, count your blessings). I have been out to shoot a couple of times and pretty much like riding a bike once and not forgetting how to do it, I did OK. 4-5" groupings at 20yds with an occasional "flyer".

Jump ahead to last Wednesday where I had a 1 on 1 training session at our local archery shop. What a difference that made! The instructor adjusted my draw length (shortened it by 1") which in turn changed my anchor points to a much more comfortable position. Adjusted the length of my release (shorter) so I could get my whole index finger on it instead of my finger tip. This made it much easier to release with a little back tension and not a firm trigger pull. Much smoother release. Also got me to change my "death grip" to a light thumb pad positioning on the bow riser. Now I am shooting a consistent 3" arrow grouping at 20yds and about 4-5" at 30yds and 5-6" at 40yds. Far fewer "flyers". I am not planning on taking any shots farther than 40 yds this next upcoming deer season mainly due to eyesight issues anyway.

Being a wearer of glasses, I can see a definite problem with getting a clear sight picture centering the peep with the front sight housing. I have also decided that I need larger pins as the ones I have now are small and seem to disappear when focusing on the target. I may try contacts in the future or finally pull the trigger on Lasik.

For those of you who are like me who are new to archery, I highly recommend spending time with an instructor. It was well worth it. A 1 hour investment has cut my groups nearly in half. Now I just have to implement everything together and execute.

I have glasses... "progressives" and have adapted very well. The biggest problem can be weather (rain/snow). I also have larger pins.... I believe .029. Great when you get old. Not great for target shooting, however, perfect for real world hunting.

Practicing daily. When I can't get to the club range, I am shooting at least 40 arrows into my block target in the back yard.

My issue with my glasses is getting fogged up in cold weather. Anyone use those alleged "no fog" coatings and have success?

Last edited:
ty for the update.

just curious, are there any local shooting leagues? what did you start at for draw weight?

I'm in the business, If you get any kind of antiglare/fog/reflective, etc on your glasses, you need to be careful how you clean them as they may be prone to smudging/scratches. I recommend Zeiss wipes and/or microfiber cloths for the field and running water and handsoap for cleaning at home. Air or pat dry. Avoid excessive rubbing in any case. You'll induce scratches by rubbing your glasses to clean them.

As far as your new archery hobby, congrats! Archery is more rewarding than rifle shooting IMO. Especially if you get into 3D, etc. SO glad you got proper instruction. Watch out for target panic, it can be a killer. Your intructors probably know how to remedy it. Also don't push it too hard at first, I injured my AC joint doing that and it was quite painful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back