Yeti GOBOX Collection

Aches, pains and a public land deer

Hunting Wife

I can hardly contain myself when deer season rolls around. I don’t know what it is, but I think it gets to the point Hunting Husband can’t wait to just kick me out the door already. My hopes for the season were slightly dampened this year. Torn muscles in my knee in July, flare up of a nagging lower back injury from my younger days when I thought I was indestructible, and having to learn completely new stomping grounds seemed like a tall order. I’m not typically too worried about antlers, but told myself it had to be a four point. Unless it was a monster 3....Or an ancient 2. But I’d cross that bridge when I got there.

I’m lucky to live in a place with a ridiculous amount of public land. My biggest problem was narrowing down where to go. I pored over maps and put on lots of miles driving around trying to decide where to start. Still I have a list of more places I want to look at than I’ll ever have time to get to. So as soon as the body allowed, I started putting miles on the boots to see what I could find.

I found a few busts- too grazed, too crowded, bisected by roads that don’t appear on a map. But I found a lot of other things too:

Watched a crazy rutty buck kill a fawn that was with the doe he was chasing. Had never seen that before.

Found bobcat tracks after a fresh snow.

Sat here and glassed up a dead head consolation prize on a day that was otherwise a bust.

7757F517-F827-4259-90C2-2DEC8279F695.jpg

7C1931E5-42E8-48FD-9277-90196F2FC8C9.jpg

Watched the antelope migration.

Sat on another hill and glassed miles of country while listening to thousands of snow geese, white fronts and Canadas passing through.

Saw lots of does and little bucks everywhere I went.

Saw a couple of decent bucks that I just couldn’t quite make happen. Frustrating to feel like your body let you down.

Saw a ton of road hunters.

Never saw another soul outside of a vehicle.

Watched some incredible sunrises and sunsets.

B275FE43-AA18-4F44-A4CA-7E8A67F2FE6E.jpg

Took a younger lady out on her first western spot and stalk type experience. This was also the first time I’ve ever hunted with another woman. I just don’t meet very many other female hunters who are willing to go without their men. It was a crappy weather day, terrible mud. Found some bucks but we only had a half day and didn’t have time to close the deal. Still, it was her first time trying something new, and we saw some critters so I guess it was a success.

After a couple of weeks of hiking new territory, and the epic mud hike, I was starting to feel the miles. I decided to end my hunt back in the spot I’d seen the most activity. Sat and glassed a herd of does that were within my striking distance. Moved in on them, and it wasn’t too long before this buck came running over the hill and found me.

16FDA1E5-8D8E-475E-8196-E3B1C5F5244C.jpg

Probably about the smallest 4 point I could have found, but given my aching back I was ok with that. He dropped a little over 2 miles from the truck. I was able to cut that almost in half by finding another road. Why did I pick this year to have my first solo backpack extraction? An ice pack would be nice right now...

053AE5CB-EA1E-4858-83C5-E8EFB9EC7C45.jpg

Ask and you shall receive. Who knew Mother Nature had a sense of humor? Two heavy-feeling loads later and I was done. I felt it in the morning.

Things I learned this year:
I need to practice my solo technique for the gutless method. Or I need to grow a third arm. More practice is probably easier.

Packing quarters is easier than dragging. To those who replied such on my thread last year, you were right.

I still don’t have a fancy hunting pack, but my old Kelty works just fine.

In spite of the frustration, I wouldn’t trade the experiences for anything. Hopefully I’ll be good as new by next year!

Great story. Thanks for sharing. Congrats on the fine deer and your determination.

Nice.
The sunsets/rises, the geese, watching the critters be critters, the ability to wander without a care across vast tracts of ground - doesn't get any better does it................

I need to practice my solo technique for the gutless method. Or I need to grow a third arm. More practice is probably easier.

That made me laugh. Congrats on the hunt.

Wonderful write-up and pictures. Thanks for taking us along on your adventure. Hope you heal up soon and congratulations on a nice buck.

Congratulations on your buck,give yourself time to heal and come back stronger than ever.:cool:

Nice deer, better description of hunt. It is good to see all our aches and pains effects everyone.

Thank you for the story!

Awesome. Not a thing wrong with that buck.
Gutless is hard with one person I've found also. Some paracord sometimes can help with tying up legs to the antlers. Extra hands seem to be the best help though.
Dragging is a pain, looks like carting terrain.

Regarding the solo gutless method.....
I've done numerous antelope, deer, and elk this exact way.
Just my experience, but here's a few ideas that have made it a very quick, efficient and doable deal for me:
I always take quarters off leaving hide on. I know many will disagree but it works fine - keeps meat from getting dirty and drying also.
I use two knives exclusively - a drop point ordinary hunting blade for the shoulders and skinning of the mid section in prep for backstrap removal, and a 5" Rapala fillet knife. The latter does the surgery on the hind 1/4(s) removal from the hip. Also nice for backstrap and loin removal. I really like the longer flexible blade for this work.
I remove the hocks after 1/4 removal, as the extra length comes in handy to prop the legs behind my knee.
Drop the paunch out of the carcass after removing 1/4's and the loins are readily available.
Just a few ideas , take or leave.
I'll admit my well abused 56 year old back does feel the fun of being humped over a carcass for a half hour......
And
Packing out the meat does definitely benefit from the presence of that friend, but a couple trips in and out lets you enjoy the event just a little longer - one more trip through the sage..............

Regarding the solo gutless method.....
I've done numerous antelope, deer, and elk this exact way.
Just my experience, but here's a few ideas that have made it a very quick, efficient and doable deal for me:
I always take quarters off leaving hide on. I know many will disagree but it works fine - keeps meat from getting dirty and drying also.
I use two knives exclusively - a drop point ordinary hunting blade for the shoulders and skinning of the mid section in prep for backstrap removal, and a 5" Rapala fillet knife. The latter does the surgery on the hind 1/4(s) removal from the hip. Also nice for backstrap and loin removal. I really like the longer flexible blade for this work.
I remove the hocks after 1/4 removal, as the extra length comes in handy to prop the legs behind my knee.
Drop the paunch out of the carcass after removing 1/4's and the loins are readily available.
Just a few ideas , take or leave.
I'll admit my well abused 56 year old back does feel the fun of being humped over a carcass for a half hour......
And
Packing out the meat does definitely benefit from the presence of that friend, but a couple trips in and out lets you enjoy the event just a little longer - one more trip through the sage..............

Thanks for the tips. It was parts of the skinning that really made me want more hands. I could see how leaving hide on would cut frustration and keep my shoulders and shanks from drying out. I like to leave them whole, but it isn’t worth it if they have to be trimmed. No shanks from this guy....went from frozen by the time I got home to too dry so ended up in the burger bin.

Even with the aches and pains, two pack trips with no sound but falling snow wasn’t exactly terrible :)

Some how they always seem to taste a little better when there
is hard work and effort involved. I always seem to remember the pack outs
more than the hunt details
Well done :hump:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back