Nebraska Sharpies and Chickens

BrentD

In a week, I'm going to blast off to Nebraska for a couple of days of sharptail hunting. I've never hunted them before but understand they are often found on the lee side of hills and ridges. If we run across any prairei chickens, they are in play too, but I'd like to shoot a Sharptail.

Having never hunted this species (or even seen them), and not having hunted in this area, I don't have any idea of what I'm doing. If any of you feel motivated to offer advice or whatever, I'm all ears. I'll have my trusty pheasant dog, Gus, with me and a brace or two of double barrels. But I'm winging it after that (pun noted).

2018%20Gus%20and%20one%20bird%20Jan%202018%20B%20small.jpg

I've never hunted Nebraska but I have hunted sharpies in Sodak. Get ready to walk. When one flushes, get close because the rest are about to flush too. They like the top of hills or ridges. Goodluck!

Well deer season started today so they will get jumped over and over.

There's always one left behind. If you spook a flock out of range go over there, there is always one that didn't flush.

Last edited:
I have heard that there is always one or two that are slow to flush. I'll be looking for those. I've got good boots and I'll be ready to put in some miles.

Good luck! One thing I found valuable and hunting chickens and shark tales is to carry some binoculars. They often fly a long way before landing, and the binoculars allow you to see better where they lit.

I will be in central Iowa through Tuesday morning trying to find one of those wild roosters you left behind!

I’ve only hunted sharpies in Montana. The stragglers definitely give you a chance. It can take lots of miles to get into them, but once you’ve found them and broken up a flock it can be great fun to go around finding small groups, singles and doubles. Like pointer said, if they get up wild and don’t go 5 miles, watch where they land. They’ll often flush to cover somewhere, and scatter a bit. They’ll also often hold better in those smaller groups so you can get some phenomenal dog work and shooting.

Not sure what the habitat in Nebraska looks like. Around here, if we get out at first light we can find them in the roosting areas -heavier grass or snowberry in low areas. Much after first light, we target the nice likely feeding areas- good grass and native forbs on slopes or tops, or grassy edges if there’s lots of ag. In general and if they have a choice, you’re looking for sparser and shorter grass than what pheasants would choose. We always look for the best native looking stuff we can find and start there. Nice grassland with some hills and coulees, a few junipers or buffaloberry patches and little bluestem on the hills is sharptail heaven. If it’s cold, they’ll pack into shrubby coulees and buffaloberry patches during the day. Otherwise they’ll often just loaf in the grass on those hills all day if it isn’t windy.

Good luck! I love chasing sharp tails. Have never seen a chicken. Would love to see pics if you get into those!

Last edited:
Hunted Sharpies for many years in the Mckelvie (SP) national forest of Nebraska. NOT really a forest. Lots of fun when I was young (lots of walking). Yes you will find them on the hill side opposite the wind. I would walk the tops of the hills and watch for them to flush. They can be pretty spooky at times. There will be slow flushers. NOTE: take a GPS as it's really easy to become lost (disoriented) in the sand hills. Very unique hunt.

good luck to all
the dog

I'm leaving on Friday at dawn. Destination McKelvie

I'll have OnX on my phone so I won't get lost. I love that kind of country where getting lost in the wide open is even possible.

I'm ready to walk. I did 9.25 miles on Sunday for pheasants in heavy grass. This should be easier. Hopefully more productive.

Good luck and hope you brought some red to wear on Saturday, they don't like any other colors in Nebraska on Saturdays.
Folks are very friendly I found in the small towns, don't be afraid to make some phone calls about access.
You can also buy plat maps for each county that show landowners and contact info.

I don't wear "colors". Ever.

Being an academic, my employer's colors are "cardinal and gold" :rolleyes:

It's a uniform I don't subscribe to.

I'll have a Nebraskan on my wing by Saturday midmorning, so should be good.

Yes, Nebraska is a great place. One of the best kept secrets in all of America. Kansas too.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back