Alaska Drawings 101

406LIFE

Is there a video out there on this like the other states?

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions to muddle through this?

Resources for working through the different draws?

Going duck hunting in December so I bought my 2018 small game license. Bought a 2019 stamp thinking it would be 2018/19 but it was 2019/20. So I guess I'm committed to hunt next year too.

No video (that I'm aware of).

Read the "preamble" carefully - some hunts require a non resident to already have an outfitter (guide) lined up before applying.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.main There is a lot of info here, but it will require searching through it. Contact bios in the units of the hunts you are interested in.
http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/forumdisplay.php/2-Alaska-Hunting Is another web site that may help.

My advice is to carefully read through the regulations and the hunt supplement for the draw tags. As mentioned by Gary, you may need a guide already for some hunts, just like you may need bowhunters ed. ML. ed. etc. for some others. I am an AK resident and it's still confusing at times. I need to get my bowhunter's education finished, and ML education, so I can start applying for some restricted area hunts for 2020.

I have been looking into this as well, but I think I may try to the OTC blacktail route first.

Alaska has a lot of screwy rules, I would call someone at the office and let them know your plans for the hunt.

There is a lot of stuff to consider.

Like for example on POW hunts for black bears, you cannot use a land vehicle for transportation (CUA).

You have to use either a boat or a plane to hunt black bears in the region.

There is also the transporter & guide thing to consider.

Locking tags and sealing of bears is another thing to consider. A lot of info on this one.

Also the draw process is a bit confusing at first. You get 5 choices per species and all 5 can be used in the same hunt. Each choice costs some money.

The draw is for the August - July of the next year season. For example this draw will be for August 2019 to July of 2020.

If you decide to put in for bear, then you may not hunt for 18 months after putting in.

I didn't find the draw that big a deal it's not all that unlike all the other states. The one thing that is weird is the fact that the licensing year is Jan 1- Dec 31st (locking tag) but the regulatory year is July - June (bag limit). So bag limits are Fall-Spring but tags are good spring - fall

EG using POW bears

You apply for the bear tag in December 2018 for May 2020, if you draw then you get a locking tag that is good for 2020. You cannot buy a bear tag in the fall of 2019 and harvest a bear in the chugach and then get another locking tag in 2020 and harvest a bear on POW because fall 2019 and spring 2020 are lumped together for bag limits, what is bizarre is that if say you said ok I'm going to bear hunt in the chugach fall 2019 and if I get one fine I'm not going to POW in may 2020, your bear tag for the fall would expire in 2019 and you would have to buy a new one for 2020.

None of the moose/caribou units are any better than the general units in terms of DIY you are still probably going to have to use an outfitter to fly you in or out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back