Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Quality 2-way tripod head

BrentD

One of the things that I did not like about my gear this year was the tripod head on my Slik 50 light-weight tripod. The tripod itself was fine. But the head was cheap, plastic junk. It is, ostensibly, a 3-way head. The left-right tilt function being accomplished by a plastic base that flops over on a hinge which leaves the base poorly supported and at some risk of breaking. I also had to add a Manfrotto Quick Release receiver plate to it as it had no built-in quick release system - something I consider essential for a set up that I set up and take down multiple times every day.

Can anyone recommend a decent, lightweight, 2-way tripod head that I could adapt to the Slik-50 tripod?

Alternatively, I suppose I could look for a whole, new tripod, but I'd prefer to avoid the expense, if possible.

What works for you guys?

Addendum: I am not a fan of ball heads or pistol grip tripod heads.

Last edited:
I have a Vanguard PH-111 and it has been a great head for me. I have it mounted on a set of Promaster CF legs. Some Panheads can get really big, the vanguard is pretty nice sized. The current version is the PH-114v

I have been hearing a lot of great things about the Benro S2 head. Lots of info on it over on rokslide. I do believe this is the one I will be going with on a cheaper slik sprint tripod. S&S archery is a dealer for the head fyi.

Have a Vanguard PH -113V on a carbon tripod and it seems fine so far. Pretty cheap but made of magnesium.

I've been fairly happy with the Manfrotto 700rc2. I weighed a lot of options when I got it, it kinda seems like the $75-$125 heads are more alike than different in performance. I've only used a few others in the field, so I'm not much use for comparisons.

This thread has been amazingly helpful. I'm looking into all of the suggestions and each one is an order of magnitude better than the ones that I already have. I probably have 6 or 7 tripods, some are great, for other purposes, but useless for backpack hunting. Quite a few are just plain useless for anything.

Sadly, there is no place where I can go and handle these. I miss the brick and mortar shops especially just now. But I'll sort them out and buy one of these. Next year, I'll be elk hunting (I'm sure to draw - said that this year too :( ) and I'll need a better tripod than I have now. The glassware is good, but the tripods don't do them justice.

I've been fairly happy with the Manfrotto 700rc2. I weighed a lot of options when I got it, it kinda seems like the $75-$125 heads are more alike than different in performance. I've only used a few others in the field, so I'm not much use for comparisons.

I bought the 700rc2 as well, so far so good.

The 700rc2 looks a bit bulky and heavy. I believe it weights 1.1 lbs from what I've been able to learn.

I think this might be a lighter head than the 700rc2, but I don't really know. Yet.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/371868301922?ViewItem=&item=371868301922

this one might be too cheap to be true, and again, I can't judge it for size/weight. Ah, just found that it is about the same weight as the 700rc2, a little over 1 #
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Andoer-2-W...-with-1-4-3-8-Quick-Release-H9M0/142942660167

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back