Still wet behind the ears in Arizona

Lugh

Hello all,
I have always had a passion for hunting. Yet have never had a real hunt, well besides a couple squirl shoots as a young boy. I've only been able to read a few books and buy some instructional DVDs as far as hunting goes. I am very new to the scene. I have (what I believe to be) a solid foundation. Though I know there will always be more to learn and no better way to get experience than to dry my ears and get my BOOTS wet.

Well that's the thing. I have no clue what I'm doing. Sav for a few squirl ive never hunted before. Never stalked, or tracked, or anything. So I'm more on a childs level although I'm 26 ha

(Edit) I also don't realy want to hunt on my own at the moment due to my lack of experience. Id rather not maul anything and not be able to track the poor thing down.

Last edited:
From what I understand, Arizona has some terrific small game opportunities. Before going the big game route, it may be wise to put in some time hunting small game. If you have a decent 22 and/or a shotgun, spending some time afield after rabbits, quail and squirrel will certainly help. It puts you in hunting situations, tests your shooting abilities and not much worry of wounding and losing game. Plus, all are good eating. Just a thought.

John, thats a great idea. I have had the same thought. I believe rabit and squirl are basically year round and do not require a tag if i am remembering correctly.

I have a marlin model 60. .22 and a westfeild model 550 12ga. That would be a good place for me to start.

Also (when ready) I was wondering what my 30-30 might be useful/ethical to hunt.

I hear deer can be taken with a high velocity 30-30 round well enough.

Last edited:
Not sure if I would use the terms high velocity and 30-30 in the same sentence, but you have every you need. Have you taken hunters safety yet? Arizona has a pretty good 2 part program from the looks of it. There are a lot of videos Newberg has posted on YouTube that are instructional to point you in a good direction as far as big game and grouse.

I joined a local forum as well and have met quite a few guys around my area that hunt. If you reached out in a local group you can probably find some who can show you the ropes.

Fair enough Ha ha.

No hunters safety yet. But will get it dome before I try ANYTHING. I joined a few groops on Facebook but this is the only forum i have found so far. And seems lile you folks are very accommodating and knowledgeable. As well as quite friendly.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions from everyone. I will be taking all this solid advice. Thank you.

Welcome from Pa ! Perhaps join a local sportsmann’s club, and or a local shooting range. Should be able to gather a little knowledge from members willing to get you started.

I would suggest that you get to know your weapon (rifle, bow, or shotgun) very well. Shooting at targets (rifle range, backyard/archery range or trap/skeet respectively) and becoming comfortably proficient before bearing down on an animate target.

Enjoy the growth of your skills and comfort afield, and allow yourself reasonable slack if you don't advance as quickly in your skills as you might have thought you could. Kids learn to roll over, then crawl, and crash and burn multiple times before they ever run.

It was awhile ago, but when I was based in Phoenix I used to play up north of Apache Junction. Rabbits & quail were a dime a dozen, though you would amazed at their ability to skirt away as soon as you saw them. A .22 and getting ALOT of practice avoiding cactus needles will both put some munchies on the table & set you up for when you finally draw a tag.

Thank you everyone for the help. I plan on making a trip to plink some squirl, rabbit, or something else, maybe next week end.

I would highly suggest your hunters safety first. You need to know the rules and safety while afield. Remember, it’s not just you out there and bullets travel very far, even after the target.

Update: I have found and taken the hunters safety. And passed the online portion. Now have to wait for the feild day.

Look up Youth Outdoors Unlimited. Volunteer to help them put on some of their youth camps, and you will meet a lot of helpful people, and give back to the hunting community. You can tag along as they guide kids and learn a lot.

Back