Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Cow hunt gone wrong

I think PrairieHunter is fishing for the gps tracks ��. My OnX tracker had three loops: 10.43, 10.65, and 6.91 miles. It died at the end of the day and I’m estimating about two miles covered after my phone shut off. It was a long, sore day. The elevation was fairly minor though (38 floors per my iPhone?) but OnX doesn’t track that. Normally I’d agree wholeheartedly though!

Congrats on your hunt, and well earned freezer full of meat. You are the opposite of the average road hunter.

Great pic and story!

Hard lessons learned, are earned and easy to remember.

Congrats!

Game carts can work in a variety of places, mud not so much though.
Have seen a whole bull elk carted off of Kennaday Peak, though the downfall, a Cabelas game cart.

Nice job and good bull!

Our cart has taken a beating over the years to the point the fabric is gone. The saving grace has been the spoke covers or I am sure we would have left it for somebody else.

Lots of work for those elk, certainly you will remember that hunt and harvest, CONGRATS!!

knife tip: I don't cut lower legs off until the other cutting is done. Getting into those bones is not conducive to a sharp edge. YMMV

Thanks for all the kudos and tips everyone. I wanted to put up what I did post hunt in case anyone else was interested. First, I made an osso bucco out of a shank that was phenomenal. Second, I decided what to do with the antlers. I initially was going to cut them up for dog chews and make the most I could out of the bull, but was talked out of that by my friends saying I should keep the first elk. So I decided to mount the elk and my first rifle deer from 2 years ago.
I mounted the skull caps to a plywood oval I cut out and then filled in the space with expanding foam. Once that dries it was super easy to sand round. Then I upholstered with a thin layer of batting and some fabric (wife’s preference and looks good). I took a 12” wide board and roughed it up with an angle grinder and knot wheel then stained to age it. I think it looks pretty good overall but I’m biased ;) thanks again everybody!D2935F2B-DFBB-4CB8-BB32-33E328AD1CCD.jpg

Congrats on earning some fine vittles there. Nothing like that first one to teach a lot about what to do differently next time. Lessons learned are the best type. Lessons not learned are the hardest.

FH

Congrats!

And I like the way you displayed the antlers of your buck & bull.

Ya, elk often don't come easy. You guys earned yours.

Regards, Guy

Sounds like you guys had a great hunt and a good learning experience. Congrats!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back