Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default smaller caliber gun coyote, javelina, coues deer

Folks,

Looking for help on a new rifle. I think I decided on a .243 maybe a remington or savage. I know some of you are more experienced than I. Any suggestions? I have a 30-06 model 70 which is great for big game but need something for smaller animals. Thank you

2. Default

.243 is a great caliber. We could fill this thread with pages and pages of best caliber/ gun etc., but I think your decision is solid.

There's nothing wrong with a 243 it's a great coyote gun especially for windy days. Lots of great new options also.
    I'm pretty sure the thermal's hate me

Solid choice.

5. Default

243 would be a good choice. A good 87/90 gr bullet would do for everything.

You can't go wrong with that choice. The .243 has proven it's self time after time and you can find ammo and reloading components most anywhere.
    Plus, since it isn't the newest hot caliber that everyone is after right now, a good used rifle can be had in a wide variety of manufacturer models, for some money saving over a new one.

VERY good choice for most anything you point it at.
    Check out a 240 WB or if you want to fight the crowd a 6mm Creedmoor.
    “Being Captain Doesn’t mean you’re the Smartest”
    “It just means you’re the one with the Boat!”

260 Remington
    83% of all statistics are made up.

25-06 would be my choice

Stick with the 243
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."

-Theodore Roosevelt

.22-250
    Oh give me a home with a low interest loan,
    a cowgirl and two pickup trucks.

A color TV,
    all the beer should be free,
    and that, man, is Rancho Deluxe.

The .22 cal cf is a great option and with the proper bullet (lots of options) and shot placement will put your intended target down and with room to spare.

P.S. I am needing new tires for my truck?

.223? even that is overkill for javelina and coyotes.

Pistol-cartridge lever gun?

Just thinking outside the normal bolt rifle box.

Killed many whitetails, mule deer, and antelope with a .243 and never had to shoot them more than once.

I'll toss in & agree with Loco. A 22/250 would be the cat's ass cartridge for zapping critters of small stature. Better yet! Get a 22/250 & rebore it to a 250 Savage !!! Now we're talkin' Bad Ass !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Talent, hits a target, no one else can hit... Genius, hits a target, no one else can see."

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner46 View Post
    I'll toss in & agree with Loco. A 22/250 would be the cat's ass cartridge for zapping critters of small stature. Better yet! Get a 22/250 & rebore it to a 250 Savage !!! Now we're talkin' Bad Ass !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And make it a single shot.

All good information. I'm partial to the idea of the .222 Remington as well. It's a bit old, but that makes it cool.
    Old Milwaukee Pro Staff

18. Default

One thing wrong with the 22 CF's. Not a legal deer cartridge everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
    One thing wrong with the 22 CF's. Not a legal deer cartridge everywhere!
    The OP specified Coues Deer. I can't think of any place that has them where a 22CF is not legal.

20. Default

22-250 was made for that.

Plus if you get it in a classic like a rem varminter, it will have the best resale value.

I would not go with a 22 center fire, personally. They work fine, but the .243 gives more room to spare on the deer. I have shot the .243, 6mm Rem, .223, 22-250 and now, I would hands down buy a 6.5cm. You can shoot 100-grain bullets, up to 147 depending on which ammo you want to use. It has an ever-increasing array of ammo from several companies and all the factory ammo shoots lights out, from what I have read (I only hand load). A few months back, I converted a Rem 700 22-250 to a Creed and it has become my favorite rifle. Another good option is a .260, but the factory offerings are not as prolific and the ballistics are virtually identical to the Creed.

Remington and Savage rifles both shoot real well. I have always been a Savage fan and they are very easy for a smith to re-barrel, due to their barrel nut system.
    You did not "seen" anything. You "saw" it.
    Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
    Member of BHA.
    Life Member NRA

I have been killing whitetails and mule deer since I was 12(almost 40 now) with a 22-250 loaded with a 64 grain bullet and have taken more than I care to count. We also have a .220 swift in the family that my dad has shot all my life and that thing is deadly accurate and has taken tons of deer also.

Yep, dozens of deer/antelope have fallen to either a 22-250 or 223 here as well. I know a few others that have done a lot of clean killing with a 22 CF. Out of easily 50+, I lost one very large mule deer buck back in the 80s (high school) that I never did recover. That one still haunts me to this day. Keep shots under 300 yards and in the vitals and the results are impressive. Lots of other options and clearly the 22 CF is not for everyone; especially those not anal about accuracy.

250 Savage
    25-45 Sharps
    257 Roberts
    260 Rem
    6.5X55 Swede
    6.5X57 Mauser
    7mm-08

Hard to beat a 6mm Remington!! I've taken lots of deer, antelope, and an elk with mine. Plenty of coyotes as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast