Arizona Coues Deer - info needed please for an upcoming hunt

Hobbs

Hey folks,
I know this can be a touchy subject but I am looking for information on Arizona Coues Deer. A friend and I are planning a 2020 Coues hunt in Arizona and I have been trying to learn all that I can so that we have the greatest chance of success. I don't need specific directions or anything, what I really would like to know is what kind of habitat do they prefer to hang out in? Are there certain features that they tend to stick close too (aside from water)? Do they share some of the habits of other western whitetail? Also, if anyone knows any good articles or books about them I would love to read some more an understand them a bit better. Thanks in advance!

Check out "Deer of the Southwest" by Jim Heffelfinger, and "How to hunt Coues Deer" by Duwane Adams on Amazon. Everything you need to know will be in those 2 books.

Thank you, that's the kind of info I needed.

It also really depends on what part of the state you are hunting in. I do most of my hunting north of Phoenix and i have seen them all over. I have seen them in large groups with Mule deer and i have even seen them in a group running , from me after missing a shot, with Elk, Mule Deer and Antelope. What unit/ part of the state are you looking to hunt?

I hunted them for the first time last year in a border unit. Super fun, but they didn't act much like any of the other deer i have hunted. The area we were in, the coues definitely liked the bigger, steeper mountains, while the muleys were all low in the flats. Never had any trouble finding either.

Border units are fun, I hunt them almost every year. They have a lot of deer and hunters. In general, coues are not that hard to find, but you don't have to focus around water. Coues can normally survive on what little water they get from browse. You'll find them on the flats and the mountains. If you want to hunt the mountains get on top because 90% of the other hunters will be hunting it from the bottom up. The big bucks will almost always be on or near the top. The flats and rolling country are really overlooked, a lot of deer hide there including big bucks.

Duwane Adams did a podcast with Jay Scott a few years back. I recommend listening to it a few times. Good info on how, where, and when to glass and I think he talks about some of the units.
https://jayscottoutdoors.podbean.co...-coues-deer-hunting-with-duwane-adams-part-1/

Do you have a unit picked out? Send me a PM and I'll provide any incite I can.

The border units are easier to draw, except for the December rut hunts. those are highly sought after. tag numbers are lower too. In the central to northern part of state they can be found in the pines. They prefer higher elevations while the muleys will hang out lower in the southern units. PM me if you wish. Also check out coueswhitetail.com. A lot of good info on that site. Beware though, also a lot of a holes on that site. I prefer to lurk there.Andy 2018 buck.jpgCarson 2018 buck.jpgView attachment 90156IMG_0039[1].jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0578.jpg
    IMG_0578.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 108
I will second listening to the Jay Scott Podcasts... lots of unit specific info and different hunting strategies given up there. Listen to every one related to Coues Whitetail and you'll be way ahead. junior88 also nailed coueswhitetail.com... if you posted this question there you would get bombarded by condescending jackasses... Ed F

I will second listening to the Jay Scott Podcasts... lots of unit specific info and different hunting strategies given up there. Listen to every one related to Coues Whitetail and you'll be way ahead. junior88 also nailed coueswhitetail.com... if you posted this question there you would get bombarded by condescending jackasses... Ed F
Hahaha. Yeah, I cautiously direct people to CW.com. lots of good folks there, but quite a few knuckleheads. Whatever you do, don't mention mule deer lol

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back