Cheap Rifle Shootout

I've not handled a Mossberg rifle, but I believe gunwriter Richard Mann thinks a lot of them. You might want to check out his reviews.

If I had to choose based on personal experience, I'd go with the Savage 110. I gave the 6.5 Creedmoor a try this year in a Tikka and couldn't be happier with that cartridge. I think it's going to replace the .308 as my go-to hunting and general purpose round. Nothing wrong with the 7mm-08, of course.

I completely understand where you're coming from Don. I'm thinking about moving him towards a .308, 30-06 or 270. Nothing more than that. He's not a tiny kid is 16 by now. My inlaws aren't a hunting family an I'm trying to get him into the lifestyle. I won't murder his shoulder.

One of my nephew's posted a video of his kid shooting his 12 ga recently. Kids maybe 5yrs old and a real trooper. Gun knocked him backward quite a ways and onto the ground. Bad first lesson in shooting!

TC Compass just went on sale for $230 after MIR at Cabelas. My 6.5mb shoots just under MOA w cheap factory loads. Def worth $230.

I have a Savage axis with the wood stock and a Weaver scope that I picked up for under $300 at Walmart. I couldn't be happier with it. I've been meaning to replace the scope with a viper, but haven't got around to it yet. The Weaver is good enough glass to hunt with. My dad hunts with a Howa 1500 that I love. That will probably be my next rifle purchase. It has a great trigger. I've seen them used with a decent scope for under $500 a few times.

It's already been said, but I think most of the guns you mentioned will get the job done. I like savages, Howa and Mossbergs personally. There are plenty of budget rifles that are great for hinting. I didn't care for the safety on the compass.

Look around pawn shops. For most, hunting season is over, and there is sure to be some guys selling their rifles now. If I had to go new, it would be a remington 700 ADL and then the best optic I could find on Amazon. The 700 is a great action and has tons of aftermarket support, so customizing in the future should be a snap

I have one of the “cheap” 700s and can drill tennis balls at 200 yards with it. I have to stick with my old favorite 700. I have 3.

.243 is great for deer, but I wouldn't personally trust it on elk.

Fully agreed. I must have missed the elk need in OP. I like starting new hunters down at .223 (targets/varmints/predators) or .243 (targets/varmints/predators/deer/'lope) and get them super confident. Later if they want to move up to Elk or Black Bear, they can always sell the .243 and buy 7-08, .308. .270, 30-06, etc. (or keep it and have 2 guns!) But if they want elk at the start, I would go 6.5manbun or 7mm08. No doubt 30-06 is a do all rifle, but many a young/new hunter has developed a flinch with that as a starting point. And frankly, in the lower 48 I doubt I will ever take my 30-06 or 300WSM out of the gun safe again. My 7mm08, .270 and .308 easily kill anything I want to kill with less wasted powder and recoil. (but the 300wsm is going to africa next year).

Last edited:
My son shoots a Howa 1500 and it’s a darn good gun. Accurate too.
Really looking into a Howa 1500 in 300 win mag, browning x-bolt, or Ruger American Rifle Cerakote Bronze .300 Win Mag 24-inch. Any thoughts to any of these rifles? I’m particular to browning but am super interested in the Howa and Ruger models as well. Thanks for any invite. P. S. Does he shoot with a “heavy barrel” on his Howa?

I own a few cheap guns and a few not so cheap guns. I own a .270 win, .243 win, a 7mm08 Rem, .280 Rem and my son owns a 30-30. I have a Remington 770 in a .270 win that shoots nice and straight but good luck cycling another shell in for a follow up shot, half the time it jams or tries to feed 2 shells at once. I don't think I have put more than 200 shells through it.I have a Ruger American in a .243 win, it is an accurate and light weight rifle. I would buy another Ruger American. I have been impressed with how well it preforms. The only drawback I can see with that rifle is that the bolt will cycle even with the safety on, could cause you to misfire. As for a first time caliber, my preference would be something like a 7mm08, .243, 25-06 or 30-30. The 7-mm08 and 30-30 with the rite bullet and good shot placement will handle almost any job you throw at them within 150 to 200 yds and the recoil is very manageable. I'm not sure about the 25-06 I have never owned one myself but have heard good things about the caliber and I do see reports about it being good for all small game through to deer size game. The .243 is good for deer down and recoil is just a little more than shooting a .22 . I think the saying goes: It is better to have a well placed shot with a .22 than a poor placed shot with anything else. IMO it is always good to start someone out with a gun that they are not afraid to shoot and can spend time practicing with.

Last edited:
I have 3 savages and 3 700 rems and all are great rifles. Get one that is easy to buy ammo for until you start reloading. I love the 25-06 but for the average guy that wants an all go to gun 270 is hard to beat. I just have never had a 7mm 08 but from what I have seen that would be a great first choice.

Dose a 7mm08.
I think it dose but it has its limits. Just like any other round. Speaking of the 6.5 Man bun. I am working on getting ether Aucubounds or Etips loades for it in 140 grn. So i think it would max out for elk at maybe 300 yards. Where as a 300 i would go 500 and never think twice

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back