Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6-man tent

I bought a North Face Oval Intention back in 1976. I used it for 25 years until my lab got scared in a lightning storm and wanted inside the tent. She made her own door. I tried to repair it but the material was too weak. During the years I had sent it in for a busted zipper and broken poles. I also sent in the rainfly that had multiple holes that were caused when the poles broke. They had told me that warranty doesn't cover holes and tears. I explained that it was a result of 4 of the six poles breaking all at once in a fierce windstorm. I received new poles and a new rainfly. I do know that warranty does not cover UV damage.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

glass eye -
    I contacted TNF about my fly, and said that I felt it was UV damage. They asked me to send it in, and did not say it was not covered by warranty. I'm not really very optimistic, but I decided it would be worth the postage (for just the fly) to find out.

Sadly, TNF does not make this tent any more. What I see for a replacement is much smaller and is a single-wall tent, which I really do not like.

The REI Grand Hut has my attention but the zipper issue was noted.

For now, I'll wait on TNF's verdict. Maybe they have a fly to sell me. I'd probably go for that. If not, I'll have to make a tough decision. I'm not liking most of the alternatives.

Personally I like the vintage tents better, they were built to last. The new tents today have the waterproof coating getting all gummy the first time it's exposed to heat ( sun or in a hot vehicle ) The vintage tents didn't have those issues. I'd look on ebay, sometimes some vintage ones turn up in mint condition.

Yes, there is an 8-person version of my TNF on ebay right now. But too big.

The new tents tend to have acres of screen which is nice on hot summer nights, but not so great on cold autumns at some moderate elevations.

I'm on my second Cabelas Outback lodge, which is a fairly inexpensive option. The first one lasted me about 9 years till the entrance zipper broke. The repair was almost as much as a new one so I just got another. I add 2 extra lines per corner s and upgraded the tent pegs to rebar. With those 2 changes, I've survived some pretty stout wind in central Wyoming.
    John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12