Caribou Gear

6-man tent

You can get them with a liner to help with the condensation. They are floorless, so bugs is a downside on that note. But being floorless can also be a plus. If I was to do a 2 or 3 man tent, I would do a Sawtooth from Kifaru. More then that I would do the tipi. Maybe do 2 tents and then a tarp for a covered cooking / gathering area?

I put together a Kifaru with a liner and screens and no stove. It came to almost $1700. What the heck makes these things so expensive?

That is out of my price range for what I'm looking for. I like the idea of a second tent or shelter, but pricewise, it won't include a Tipi if I go that way.

Following Elitist's suggestion, I'm sending the old fly in to North Face tomorrow. Maybe something good will come of it. Just postage to lose at this point.

https://www.walltentshop.com/collections/spike-tents/products/selkirk-spike-tent-frame-floor-fly

Unless you're averse to a canvas tent - this is a good package. I have it. 12x12. Takes wind, snow, pretty much all that can be thrown at it. Not light weight - but it's built to do a job.
I heat it with a Big Buddy heater, warm down to -15, so far the coldest I've had it out on the prairie. Woodstove compatible, if that's your style.
Use the nylon tents for nylon tent weather, something like this for actual hunting season conditions???
I have 8 tents, 3 canvas & 5 nylon - kind of a junkie......
IMG_6732.jpg

Last edited:
A couple thoughts: will North Face repair your current tent? What about running a heavy clear plastic drop cloth over that tent? I tend to tarp or use clear plastic over a tent that will be a base camp for more than a couple days. Obviously depends on your application and works best with trees, but I've tarped a Kingdom many times with clear plastic and had good results.
It's really a shame REI doesn't get their zippers fixed. Those generally are good tents for the price. I had one blow over once in ridiculously high winds, but it was also not guyed out real well either. Their latest is the Grand Hut, which I had a chance to use for a week this fall. I liked it, but I see the reviews often mention bad zippers, some right out of the package.
https://www.rei.com/product/128688/rei-co-op-grand-hut-6-tent

I bought a North Face Oval Intention back in 1976. I used it for 25 years until my lab got scared in a lightning storm and wanted inside the tent. She made her own door. I tried to repair it but the material was too weak. During the years I had sent it in for a busted zipper and broken poles. I also sent in the rainfly that had multiple holes that were caused when the poles broke. They had told me that warranty doesn't cover holes and tears. I explained that it was a result of 4 of the six poles breaking all at once in a fierce windstorm. I received new poles and a new rainfly. I do know that warranty does not cover UV damage.

Attachments

• Oval Intention.jpg
    Oval Intention.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 259
glass eye -
I contacted TNF about my fly, and said that I felt it was UV damage. They asked me to send it in, and did not say it was not covered by warranty. I'm not really very optimistic, but I decided it would be worth the postage (for just the fly) to find out.

Sadly, TNF does not make this tent any more. What I see for a replacement is much smaller and is a single-wall tent, which I really do not like.

The REI Grand Hut has my attention but the zipper issue was noted.

For now, I'll wait on TNF's verdict. Maybe they have a fly to sell me. I'd probably go for that. If not, I'll have to make a tough decision. I'm not liking most of the alternatives.

Personally I like the vintage tents better, they were built to last. The new tents today have the waterproof coating getting all gummy the first time it's exposed to heat ( sun or in a hot vehicle ) The vintage tents didn't have those issues. I'd look on ebay, sometimes some vintage ones turn up in mint condition.

Yes, there is an 8-person version of my TNF on ebay right now. But too big.

The new tents tend to have acres of screen which is nice on hot summer nights, but not so great on cold autumns at some moderate elevations.

I'm on my second Cabelas Outback lodge, which is a fairly inexpensive option. The first one lasted me about 9 years till the entrance zipper broke. The repair was almost as much as a new one so I just got another. I add 2 extra lines per corner s and upgraded the tent pegs to rebar. With those 2 changes, I've survived some pretty stout wind in central Wyoming.

Just to put closure to this, TNF decided UV damage would not qualify under the warranty, although they did note it was "damaged" by UV (as opposed to my me).

The upside was that they had a new fly in stock for $130 so I'll be good to go for a few more years at least.

I'm okay with that. I'm not really like the tent options out there right now anyway, so this saves a few bucks and keeps me with something that is good enough for this purpose.

For what its worth, I have a kingdom 8. I did a lot of research on that tent because, like you, I was woried bout the wind issues. I cant remember the place I found extensive independent reviews but it confirmed my thoughts. Because oof the vertical design it obviously is prone to wind issues. In fact the reviewer had one wrecked. The hitch is that they didn't have it tied down correctly and were not using the rain fly. The fly strengthens the design and has a significant number of tie outs that give it strength. I have ridden out 40mph winds on several occasions. Im not sure of snow, I would think it may build up. The extra vestibules and garage are awesome for extended stay.

85F6A323-9B62-4503-A584-026B576BA41E.jpegI have nothing but good things to say about Cabela’s Alaska Guide Series 6 man tent.
I have hunted Colorado above 9000’ to Yellowstone Park to Montana in November and the Badlands of South Dakota.
I have camped in single digits to heavy snow to Midwest thunder storms with extremely strong winds.
It is a lot of tent for the money.

Last edited:
I concur, the Cabala's Alasakan guide tent in the benchmark for that sort of tent in my opinion. I've spent a fair bit of time in a couple of them. But that might be next time, not this time. Albeit, the Guide Tent's future is cloudy given the Bass Pro issue.

Somewhere in this thread, I think one or two people expressed interest in the REI Kingdom tents. FWIW, they are on sale right now for 35% off.

Just a heads up. I'm sitting this one out.

Back