Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Half way through my third season

It's not the killing it's the not seeing anything. I get plenty of deer in Indiana. When I first started it took forever to get one but I saw them all the time so I could change strategy. When you aren't seeing anything it's hard to even come up with a strategy to try and get one. Noharley is probably right. Need more fluids more rest and the altitude messes with your mind. The tent and bag I will definitely sell. $250 for tent $95 for bag

I feel you, especially this season for me. It's been 4 years since I have shot an elk, but have been alongside friends who have harvested, which is good consolation. Found some elk and mule deer but just cannot seem to figure out how to put the pieces together. The last few seasons have been pretty frustrating, especially hearing reports from friends who make it seem easy to go out and "get an elk". Especially ones that don't have my same level of experience. This year we hiked into our campsite and two nice bulls were 200 yards off the trail and the two of us had bull tags....the season started the next day. After that it was all chasing and no shooting.. Definitely have thought about hanging it up in the heat of the moment, but I don't think I can bring myself to do that.

You could always try a different type of hunting. Get a pronghorn tag or do some bird hunting. It seems like elk has become the benchmark of hunting. If you're not killing an elk on the reg you aren't as good as the people who are. I also think you're constantly hearing about the people who are killing and you don't hear from the people who aren't. Makes it seem like everyone but you is out filling their tag which is certainly not the case.

It's a regular size I'm 6'4" and it's big enough for me. I have used it this season only. Left hand zip. It was 13 when I got up today I was a little chilly but not cold.

Age brings slowness and slowness brings success. When I was a young guy I walked enough miles to transverse the state of Wyoming and killed elk but mostly cows or small bulls. Then as I aged I slowed down and became more aware of my surroundings and what was happening in them. All my best bulls have come from sitting and glassing areas that I trusted held elk. I have had cows walk so close to me that I was within 10 feet of their path, while hid under a large pine tree. One even looked under the tree and barked at me while her calf tried to nurse on her. To cool. It is never easy, I hunted a spot for 9 days and never spotted an elk of any kind and yet killed an 6x6 the next year on the opening day. I guess all I am trying to get you to understand is that find a good spot and spend time learning what it has to offer before moving on. You can learn from covering country but I think you learn more from timely observation.

Just remember that there are tons of people, myself included, that would do anything to be in your shoes and be able to go out hunting that often...even if you don't see jack. Keep trying different things. You will find them.

i'm the last person to be giving advice,as there are many on this board that are way better at hunting than I am, but I have seen way more animals with my binoculars than with my feet.
the guy that taught me to hunt would park himself in a likely spot for several days and not move. there needs to be a possibility of animals in the area, but glassing has always been more productive for me than walking.
dont give up yet, there is still hope...

It sounds like you need to try archery. Bugles keep the interest level high, even though there is probably a lower chance of success. You at least know where the elk are and can control the situation a little more.

If you only want to see animals just park yourself next to some private land.. if you want to have a realistic shot at harvesting one start building points to draw a better unit

I'm on my 7th season without bring an elk home. This last year was the toughest yet. I snapped like a twig from the Sissy Tree by day three of the first rifle season. Five days of hiking the hunt area, pre season, in fresh snow and not breaking a track is depressing enough. Finding two big herds worth of tracks leaving my area on opening morning was my highlight!?! Two years of planning and time and money spent out the window. NEVER saw a live elk in ten days afield. Definitely the hardest hunt yet. It took a few weeks of licking my wounds, but screw it. I'll be back. Don't give up so easy. You'll regret it.

Update, finally found some elk. Nowhere near where they were last year. I hit the spots I saw lots of tracks last year but it was the last day of the hunt. Kept that spot for a mid week area. Got there and not one track. Went to one area I had saw no sign last year and there was tons of tracks. Sat on the point as far back as you could go on public and watched the deer all afternoon. Even watched a guy who had 2 guides with him bust out all the deer in one little spot. There were deer going in all kinds of directions and they never saw them. The guy that was with me watched and we both laughed saying at least we didn't pay someone to scare off all the animals we were trying to hunt. Watched a big 4x4 go around chasing does and 45 minutes left of legal light here they come out of the Aspen's a nice herd of about 50. We got set up and waited for them to come on to public. They must have known where the line was because they stayed 25-50 yards on the private going down the mountain. 3 5x5 a couple legals some spikes and cows. Went back the next morning and they were all on public but by the time it was legal shooting light they were back up in the Aspen's. That evening we were right back where we were the night before waiting for them hoping they would come out and give us a chance. They came out higher and started going the way we thought they might the night before. Only this time the bulls and half the herd stayed up high on private and you could see them feeding above the Aspen's. We had a cow tag so as they went over the small hill in front of us where there was a small Aspen Grove and some brush we closed the distance on them the wind was perfect blowing from right to left. 2 guys got behind them and I kept them in front of me so I could see if they came out of there. When they got in behind them they were started over the ridge to where I couldn't see them for the trees and brush they shot because they other side of the ridge was back to private. We didn't tag anything but we did give it all we had. My flight home leaves in 3 hours. The one unfortunate thing that happened is I got to 5 yards on a really nice 6x6 yesterday on public land in the unit I was hunting only I was in the car leaving to come to Denver so I wouldn't miss my flight. I did get to see that guy clear a fence and never miss a stride. The way he went across it was like it wasn't even there.

Glad to here that you were able to locate some elk. Elk hunting can be frustrating, not giving up is one of the biggest steps you need to become a successful elk hunter, that and taking time to understand the animal. Deer are easy, but elk will run you through the wringer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back