Half way through my third season

Jasher

I have come to the conclusion that I have to be the worst Hunter. I hike and hike and hike more. Try different elevations go to places no one would ever dream of going. Today did 7 miles already in snow up to my knees. I can't even find a stupid cow. It's become not fun anymore. I know it's hunting and not shooting but it shouldn't be this hard. So I will be selling all my gear and find something else to do with my spare time.

Same boat going into my third elk season, but I'll keep going even if we strike out again. It's always a blast and a challenge, helps to have a good crew to hunt with. Are you solo hunting...?

Seen plenty of elk, but never on public land with a rifle in my hand... Takes time and luck to pull it all together and work it out.

Are you seeing any elk? Are you just walking or are you walking up to a glassing point in the dark and spending time behind the binos?

You just have to break the seal and things start to click.

I have come to the conclusion that I have to be the worst Hunter. I hike and hike and hike more. Try different elevations go to places no one would ever dream of going. Today did 7 miles already in snow up to my knees. I can't even find a stupid cow. It's become not fun anymore. I know it's hunting and not shooting but it shouldn't be this hard. So I will be selling all my gear and find something else to do with my spare time.

The first time out after you sell your rifle, you will be up to your elbows in elk.

Don't keep doing whatever you are doing. Try something different. A different place, a different approach, a different game animal. Something different! If you keep doing the same thing and getting the same result, then it's time to change. Hard to know what to suggest, not knowing what you are doing now.

Tried the glassing thing. I will have a Leupold gold ring spotter for sale. I get up at 3:30 am and hit the woods. I have tried everything except sit at camp. Tried to cut tracks by the time I actually find any I'm already 4 miles into it. I'm hunting the same unit and when I thought I had it figured out last year it was time to go home. This year I went to where I figured they would be and not even one track. One of those areas where the ridge starts at over 10k and ends in private. One side you would hike 20 miles to get to or your knees and feet have to be touching the side to get up. That's why I said I have to be the worst Hunter ever. I have a bull tag, cow tag, and mule deer buck tag so far I have seen about 100 mule deer does except the bucks that hang out on private or in town.

I have a Leupold gold ring spotter, 2 Tikka t3 lite, one 300 win mag with a vx5 HD 3-15, one 308 with a vortex don't remember right now. Mystery ranch Marshall in bare dissolve. Vortex 8.5 x 42 binoculars. Vortex Cabela's branded spotter 20 x 60 x 80. Primus Omni fuel stove, marmot 0 degree bag, sea to summit comfort plus insulated self inflating pad, moose country 6 person 4 season tent weighs under 10 pounds. Vortex ranger range finder. Cabela's brand Gators. that's what I can remember off the top of my head.

Elk hunting is not for everyone. It's become this new kick that everybody wants to do because they watch Randy and others go do it on youtube or tv and it looks like so much fun. Which is fine and dandy but the problem is that the majority of people trying it are no where near as mentally tough as you need to be. You better be prepared for failure because it's common. It's not for everyone which is why most success rates hover around 10% on a DIY public land hunt. Quitting gets you nowhere but the reality is that elk hunting may not be for you.

sounds like maybe you need to switch areas or do a little more scouting or escouting and have a different approach. I would encourage you to not give up. you obviously love the outdoors or you would not be out there. have you tried hunting with someone with a little experience, maybe take them to your area or show it to them on onx. maybe they could give you some suggestions. I am a non resident and I made about 4 trips out there before things started to click. now we are seeing elk and deer and having some success. that may all change on our next trip, but hey, that's hunting. good luck.

I hear Call of Duty 4 is awesome. How much for the Marmot bag?

I've got 8 full days and 4 partial days in this general MT deer/elk season. Have laid eyes on one elk on public, but it was over 5 miles away. Have only seen a couple muley does on public.

Where are you hunting? I can't count how many days I've spent in the field this year...with nothing but a little jake turkey to show for it. If you can't have fun just being out there, it may not be for you. Personally, I'd rather go accompany someone else without my own tag, than sit at home and drink beer....and I really like beer!

It's probably the Cabelas brand gators. Get some Kenetrecs and you will find elk. Get some Kuiu's and you will find bucks. Wear one of each and hold on cause something's die 'in.

Reminds me of Rinella talking about wanting to throw it all in and taking up golf after an AK moose hunt.

Took me 3 seasons to get an elk and 22 days straight to get my first solo spring bear... but hey the worst thing that happens is coming up empty handed, I beat the crap out of myself trying to learn 720s on skis, I can't imagine what the learning curve is like trying to learn out to jump on a dirt bike or horse.

It took me twenty years to be able to put it together consistently. Elk hunting is more than just putting on miles, I would suggest you do some research on the animal and learn about them. For example, elk don't like walking through deep snow any more than you do, they will if pressure keeps them up there but they prefer to go where the feeding is easier. They are trying to store fat for a hard winter, and the harder they have to work to feed the less they store.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back