Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1

    Default Pork Fat in Bozeman?

    Does anyone know of any local butcher shops near the Gallatin valley (Bozeman MT) that have pork fat they are throwing away and give to hunters who come in and ask for it for doing their own meat processing? Thanks

  2. #2

    Default

    I couldn't find any a couple of years ago and just ended up using pork shoulder from Costco.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    In the middle
    Posts
    971

    Default

    I'd look for lamb fat instead. Tastier too. But probably not any easier to find.

  4. #4

    Default

    I have got it from town and country a few times.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787

  5. #5

    Default

    Daniels - they dont throw it or give it away, but it is only a few bucks for a lot of it

  6. #6

    Default

    A successful butcher shop sells or uses everything they trim. You wouldn't want what they send to the renderer.

    If sausage is your goal, many recipes use ground pork butt (shoulder) as half the meat with the wild game as the other half.

    Beef fat to add to ground meat is pretty standard. 20% makes a juicy burger.

    I'm a little puzzled by the lamb fat suggestion, and I like lamb. Many people find the flavor off-putting.

    Most supermarkets are buying boxed primals. Very few are doing whole carcass breakdowns. Your best bet is developing a relationship with a Custom cut and wrap place.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In the Sagebrush of Montana
    Posts
    2,768

    Default

    Unfortunately i don't think anyone will give it way...everything costs something these days.

    Costco boneless shoulders are probably the best route unless you can find them on sale somewhere

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2rocky View Post
    Your best bet is developing a relationship with a Custom cut and wrap place.
    This is what I do. August / September (right after the county fair's) is a great time to work with businesses that are processing 4H pigs. I get about 20 pounds of pork fat a year through one here (render lard, use in all of my home processing).

    I'd call around Bozeman to see if they have any - if not the Costco pork butt option will work (for sausages and the like).

    I don't mix fat into my grind. If I'm making burgers, I have some ground bacon ends that I'll mix in while I'm making dinner. I use most of my grind in sauces.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HSi-ESi View Post
    This is what I do. August / September (right after the county fair's) is a great time to work with businesses that are processing 4H pigs. I get about 20 pounds of pork fat a year through one here (render lard, use in all of my home processing).

    I'd call around Bozeman to see if they have any - if not the Costco pork butt option will work (for sausages and the like).

    I don't mix fat into my grind. If I'm making burgers, I have some ground bacon ends that I'll mix in while I'm making dinner. I use most of my grind in sauces.
    ^ Good point.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Bozeman, MT
    Posts
    4,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rustneversleeps View Post
    Daniels - they dont throw it or give it away, but it is only a few bucks for a lot of it
    Yeah, I got some there last year.... over on Griffin

  11. #11

    Default

    Thanks for the tip guys I am only 21 and this will be my second year doing all my own meat processing. Last year I did way too many deer/elk sticks and not enough brats or burgers so this year I will be putting all the grind meat off my 2 elk, antelope, bear, and 3 deer into brats and burger. Last year I did 50/50 on my burger with beef. But this year I will do about 40% beef for my burger meat. The cheapest ground beef I can find is 2$ per lb at Walmart. Anyone know of any ground beef thats cheaper? For my brats last year I did about 40% pork shoulder from Costco. This year I am planning on doing about 20 -25% pork fat for my brats I ordered 100lbs worth of brat casing/seasoning kits from Waltons along with 25lbs of breakfast sausage seasoning. I called around and found a shop in Bozeman that is willing to save their pork trimmings/fat for me but said they could only get me about 10lbs worth so I will probably go to TNC to buy the other 15lbs for the brats. I may have to shoot a few more deer!
    Last edited by Levajo; 11-07-2018 at 01:00 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Bozeman, MT
    Posts
    4,371

    Default

    I wouldn't sully venison with beef. Most just run it straight for most dishes, or mix in a little fat if you are making burgers.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Levajo View Post
    Last year I did 50/50 on my burger with beef. But this year I will do about 40% beef for my burger meat.
    Growing up, we always had beef trim mixed in with our burger. I quit doing that when I left the house and began processing my own. It was an extra expense I couldn't really afford at the time. Now I really prefer nothing added in my burger. You spend all the time acquiring the meat, carefully processing it - it doesn't make sense to add cheap filler that is only going to take away from your product.

    I really don't have issues with the burger falling apart on the grill, but if I do (some animals are leaner than others) - then I add an egg to my mix (or bacon ends if I have it thawed out).

    I've found that just deer / elk / moose / whatever burger stands by itself. My kids prefer my burgers, although it's tough to compete with a happy meal toy.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In the Sagebrush of Montana
    Posts
    2,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Levajo View Post
    Thanks for the tip guys I am only 21 and this will be my second year doing all my own meat processing. Last year I did way too many deer/elk sticks and not enough brats or burgers so this year I will be putting all the grind meat off my 2 elk, antelope, bear, and 3 deer into brats and burger. Last year I did 50/50 on my burger with beef. But this year I will do about 40% beef for my burger meat. The cheapest ground beef I can find is 2$ per lb at Walmart. Anyone know of any ground beef thats cheaper? For my brats last year I did about 40% pork shoulder from Costco. This year I am planning on doing about 20 -25% pork fat for my brats I ordered 100lbs worth of brat casing/seasoning kits from Waltons along with 25lbs of breakfast sausage seasoning. I called around and found a shop in Bozeman that is willing to save their pork trimmings/fat for me but said they could only get me about 10lbs worth so I will probably go to TNC to buy the other 15lbs for the brats. I may have to shoot a few more deer!
    that's an ambitious list! If you're going to run that much beef with it I think I'd buy the cheapest meat at whatever store and grind it myself.

    EDIT I'd also suggest, if you can afford it, to buy some high temp cheese for those brats...cheese makes everything better.
    Last edited by Mthuntr; 11-07-2018 at 01:51 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    345

    Default

    Cheapest I have found for pork butts was $0.79/LB. Almost needed to buy another freezer when I saw the price lol But I can normally find it for .98 or 1.09 on sale. Not sure what prices are across the country.
    What we do in life... echoes in eternity...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Clyde Park, MT
    Posts
    399

    Default

    I bought town and country in livingston out of there pork trimmings on sunday. The butcher was hoping to get some more but he says it gets hard to find this time of year as we start approaching the end of the season. He also had beef suet in bulk 40 lb boxes for sale.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Almost North Dakota, not quite Canada
    Posts
    901

    Default

    I honestly had never heard of anyone mixing ground beef with their venison for burger. We used to add beef fat, but we stopped doing that years ago. We find that the straight venison tastes great and we never have any trouble with patties not holding together. That would save you a significant chunk of change right there that probably would be better spent buying some nice fatty pork cuts (shoulder or whatever is on sale really) to add to brats/sausage. More bang for your buck in the end product IMO.

    Good luck! Sounds like you have an ambitious processing schedule

  18. #18

    Default

    When I was in high school I worked at Daily’s bacon in Missoula. I could buy a 40# box of pork belly trimmings for next to nothing. Those were the days. If anybody knows a Daily’s employee ask them to get you a box of trim from the press.
    “To me, if you don’t eat it, then it’s not a point of pride”. -Matt Rinella

  19. #19

    Default

    Lard is another option, stores better than fat as well.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Three Forks, Mt
    Posts
    1,023

    Default

    Do not mess with straight fat. Get pork belly/pork butt. Pure fat is challenging to work with. I have found the pork butt to be easier 50/50 lean to fat.
    Tough to find locally this part of the fall...buy it from Costco and split the over sized chunk with someone else.

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quackillr View Post
    I have got it from town and country a few times.
    ^this^
    Aim small, miss small.

  22. #22

    Default

    I couldn’t imagine taking some of the leanest, healthy meat you can lay your hands on and adding beef or worse for you yet pork.

    I guess I like my elk to taste like,,well, elk. Oh and not clog my arteries. Something us old guys think about.
    “In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.”

    ― Benjamin Franklin

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Three Forks, Mt
    Posts
    1,023

    Default

    If you want Italian sausage or the like, it takes extra ingredients. If you want an elk burger...pretty simple.
    A balanced diet and eating moderately along with daily exercise is worth a try.

  24. Default

    I just add a little extra olive oil while frying. I'm like tjones. I like elk to taste like elk. After eating so much venison, I actually find all the grease in beef burger offputting.

  25. #25

    Default

    Our burger we normally don't grind any fat with it. If we do decide to do a batch with it we use bacon ends and pieces ground in with the meat 10lbs of venison to 1lb of bacon pieces. We can buy 3lb packages of bacon ends and pieces for $8 a package

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •