NC USFS Draws criticism, for doing what its supposed to do....

TrickyTross

https://wlos.com/news/local/forest-service-proposed-plan-drawing-criticism

Since 2012, there has been a forest plan revision going on for the western most NFs in North Carolina. The plan was supposed to be done in 2014. Its 2018 and we thought the draft plan would be released this winter or next spring.... but this video shows why that will not happen. The proposed project went through the EA and EIS (as mandated by NEPA) as well as multiple revisions by USFS staff. Yet, they follow the rules, mesh what science is telling them into policy and within the confines of law, and they are still protested.......
300 acres (that was clear cut in the 30s, and has actually had 2 additional selective harvest since) out of 19,000 acres (that was also clear cut in the 20s-30s) recommended on a DBH restricted harvest to encourage Early Successional Habitat that multiple game and non-game species depend on.
Some of the groups there who protested are the same ones who advocate for "funding our land management agencies". The irony of it all is the older gentlemen who tells a ranger who has been the steward of that district for year and years "You don't know what your doing. Some of those trees are 227 years old" reminds me of a man in a cowboy hat out west who said very similar things about federal land management while he was being paraded around as a hero....

Reckon one day folks will be allowed to do their jobs and manage a place for multiple use... and wildlife... what a thought

That's a bummer of a deal, disappointing to see the same thing on both coasts. For whatever reason in the last few years we've skirted around these protests in WA by calling them necessary for fire protection. Probably not an issue in NC, but I don't know.

That's a bummer of a deal, disappointing to see the same thing on both coasts. For whatever reason in the last few years we've skirted around these protests in WA by calling them necessary for fire protection. Probably not an issue in NC, but I don't know.

Gatlinburg TN is an hour away from us and if there had been a wind change on Great Smoky Mountains National Park, that could have been a few towns and a few thousand acres of Nantahala NF. The folks who go to these protest think wildfire is a fabricated government conspiracy.... They also think that elk and bison were not here.... Its a wild time man

A friend of mine was there and when he asked the gentlemen in the "circle time" to do some dating of the trees, the guy ignored and acted like he wasn't talking. If I had the resources, I would happily live stream walking through the proposed areas with the older gentlemen, and his supporters. I would be asking them to take me to the oldest trees while asking them to look at the invasive littering the forest floor and understory

It amazes me; folks are all for science until it disagrees with them...

Seriously... left, right, libertarian doesn't matter everyone seems to have that blind spot. I love your idea of leading a nature walk... I have actually taken "hippy" friends into various wilderness areas in CO and shown them how bad it's gotten in places.

Personally, I don't believe the science on alcohol and bacon.

Seriously... left, right, libertarian doesn't matter everyone seems to have that blind spot. I love your idea of leading a nature walk... I have actually taken "hippy" friends into various wilderness areas in CO and shown them how bad it's gotten in places.

Personally, I don't believe the science on alcohol and bacon.

We used to take folks out to a place that was managed for timber with the local Audubon folks. it was awesome to see the light bulb go off when they saw the amount of natives, bio-diversity, and wildlife. But, the right folks complained and then politics came in.... now we have less and less interest. In fact, in that video there is an individual who knows the science, but in order to keep the job they have, must play the anti-management-forest-service-is-evil coin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back