7mm-08 and Barnes TTSX

Brian in Montana

I'm thinking the next thing I might try in my 7mm-08 will be TTSX bullets. Those of you that have loaded this bullet before, would you recommend I start with 120grn, 150grn, or just go with the standard 140grn?

I'm thinking the next thing I might try in my 7mm-08 will be TTSX bullets. Those of you that have loaded this bullet before, would you recommend I start with 120grn, 150grn, or just go with the standard 140grn?

I'm currently loading the Barnes LRX in 139 gn. An antelope and mule deer have fallen to them so far. There are also the 145 gn LRX. In the ttsx, I'd go with the 140.

I dont reload but I use 120 grain TTSX in my 7mm08. This is my first year using it and only an antelope has fallen to it, but it worked very well. If you're going to use it for bigger game, i'd go with the 140 grain.

I am currently working on a 120gn load. I tend to follow the Barnes guidance and go down a weight class from typical - 140gn is the 7mm08 typical so I have gone down to 120 in order to keep velocities up. (and knowing it won't shed weight like a typical cup & core load)

Look at your twist rate and bullet stability, then look at expected muzzle velocity and the range you want to shoot at. 1900 FPS would be my minimum velocity I’d shoot to. These answers will tell you which weight is right for you.

Agree with the above posts....whatever grain weight you decide on, make sure that the minimum impact velocity is above 1900fps.

I would try the 140gr TTSX first then move down to the 120gr.

Good Luck

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back