Lower-end scopes vs higher-end?

GA_HNTR

What are the big differences between lower priced scopes and higher end scopes? What is it that makes a $500 scope better than a $200 scope, or $2000 over a $1000 scope? All advice would be greatly appreciated.

The biggest thing other than what's mentioned above is light transmission and the time it buys you. Good glass might buy you another 5 or 10 minutes at the start and end of the day. The amount of deer, particularly trophy sized deer I've shot in those time frames makes it all worth the extra money for good glass.

From 200 to 500 the optic difference is evident....from 1000 to 2000, IMHO, not so much. YMMV....from 200 to, say 800...yes, definitely evident.

Is there much difference between manufacturers at the 500+ price range?

When you look through a scope look at the edges. One thing that bothers me is that the edges on some scopes get blurry. May not be the end of the world, but it bothers me that the entire thing isn't crisp. I would also opt for lower magnification with better glass than higher magnification with cheaper glass. Reliable tracking is also very important.

I will echo what most others have said. You pay for the quality of the glass and coatings mostly which equals clarity, light transmission, color, etc... In addition to that other quality factors such as tracking, parts, and features come into play. IMO brand is less important, as most reputable makers offer scopes of similar quality at similar price points. However, brand should be considered when weighting warranty and costumer service (should you need it). The popular flavors of the day seem to be Leupold & Vortex. I don't think you can go wrong with either one, and you can probably get comparable products from Zeiss, Burris, Nikon, etc...

Last edited:
Ability to hold zero and tracking are #1. Optical excellence is useless to me without those, whether it's $300 or $2,000. Knowing whether your more expensive scope bought you good internals, good glass, or both is a matter of research and/or many rounds down range with different scopes.

I had a $1,000 scope, I now have a $2,000 scope. The difference was evident with the first click of the turret. Not to mention the $2000 rig has not been back for repairs.

Ok, you guys laugh all that you want. I do have some "better" scopes, however, I do have some lesser scopes. On my two black powder guns I have the "TASCO Pronghorn". I believe that I paid $80.00 many years ago. The point is that they work just fine for my black powders where I limit my shots to 150 yards or less. Taylor the scope to the specific gun.

PS: I believe that the TASCO's have a lifetime warranty. Another note: after 20+ years I have never sent them in..... work just fine.

good luck to all
the dog

You might look into the lower end brands made by the higher end companies. Redfield is made by Leupold and we have some of those fairly cheap scopes on our varmint rifles and they are fine for that.
All good points mentioned above. Lower light is where you will see the difference, and very wet conditions.

Ability to hold zero and tracking are #1. Optical excellence is useless to me without those, whether it's $300 or $2,000. Knowing whether your more expensive scope bought you good internals, good glass, or both is a matter of research and/or many rounds down range with different scopes.

This x10. Clarity is of little use if you can't reliably hit what you are seeing with great clarity. If you plan on dialing ranges and wind plan on spending more as that makes sound mechanicals even more important.

Eye relief is very important to me. Less expensive scope usually have much shorter eye relief. I also like illuminated crosshairs. Less expensive scopes have poorly defined "dots".

I've never looked through a scope costing over $300! Whatever it is I might be missing, I have't a clue. Almost every scope I ever had, a lot of them, have bee trouble free and clear enough for me to shoot anytime during legal shooting hour's. The only scope I ever had a problem with was a Tasco Pronghorn, shot the front lens completely loose on a 25-06. Replaced it with a Tasco World Class and no problem's. Being I've been mostly been a hunter that use's MPBR and doesn't shoot beyond 300yds, tracking is not that important. Just get sighted in and live with it, never a problem. The clarity issue I have just never got. Never seen a scope that wasn't clear enough for me to see well through during legal hunting hours. I suppose it would be nice to tell people I have a $2000 scope but first I could never afford it and next absolutely no need I can figure out for one. I think the most I ever spent in my life on a scope was well under $300! No complaint's.

A $1000 scope or even $500 scope and a $200 scope are just like a $2500 rifle and a $300 rifle. Likely as not they will both shoot a bullet accurately farther than we have to ability to be accurate! And that bullet will preform the same regardless the rifle it's shot from!

Ok, you guys laugh all that you want. I do have some "better" scopes, however, I do have some lesser scopes. On my two black powder guns I have the "TASCO Pronghorn". I believe that I paid $80.00 many years ago. The point is that they work just fine for my black powders where I limit my shots to 150 yards or less. Taylor the scope to the specific gun.

PS: I believe that the TASCO's have a lifetime warranty. Another note: after 20+ years I have never sent them in..... work just fine.

good luck to all
the dog

I have had a similar experience with a Tasco scope. It is the only one I have, the rest are all Leupolds.

I bought a Tasco World Class scope probably 40 years ago and mounted it on a 6mm Remington. That combination has been responsible for dozens and dozens of deer and antelope. Over the years the scope has maintained it's zero and I have shot several 3 shot groups that could be covered with a nickle, some with a dime.

That "cheap" scope has served me well for the decades. Recently I have thought about replacing it. But, I am not sure with what brand, Leupold, Vortex or Nikon have come to mind.

ClearCreek

I got a new Vortex scope for $200. Every time I went to the range the groups were in different spots. I'm sure I can send it back, but I spent $100 in ammo and one gut shot deer before I finally figured out it was a scope issue.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUNT7503
Back