Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I shoot and love the180g accubonds out of my 300...just wish they were cheaper practice-wise

2. Default

Shot a Raven at around 300yds with a 243 and 75gr Hornady V-Max years ago. Looked like black snow falling!

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
    Shot a Raven at around 300yds with a 243 and 75gr Hornady V-Max years ago. Looked like black snow falling!
    I'm pretty sure that ravens are Federally protected birds.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudge76 View Post
    Not true. Local laws vary but there are places they are legal....

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckchapman1 View Post
    I can only afford one rifle..............base caliber of .300
    Just out of curiosity what made you settle on the .300 WinMag?
    "Any fool can create a program that is so demanding that it would virtually kill the toughest Marine or hardiest of elite athletes, but not any fool can create a tough program that produces progress without unnecessary pain. ~ Dr. Mel C. Siff

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Hudge76 View Post
    Crows are protected migratory birds. They are smaller than Ravens.

I've shot everything from whitetail to elk with my .300WM shooting 180grn bullets. I even shot a turkey in the base of the neck once.
    Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly.

Micah 6:8

Use the Barnes 168 TTSX for everything. It will not disappoint.

9. Default

Down range knock down power, has a good flat shooting velocity similar to 30-06 but carries more weight at distance ammunition availablity and I guess being new to long distance 400 max for me more comfortable at 200-250 but I know it’s cheating but using a larger caliber to compensate for poor shooting. I also have a fellow hunter who shoots .300 so I figure I can learn a lot from him and his experience.

10. Default

Down range knock down power, has a good flat shooting velocity similar to 30-06 but carries more weight at distance ammunition availablity and I guess being new to long distance 400 max for me more comfortable at 200-250 but I know its cheating but using a larger caliber to compensate for poor shooting. I also have a fellow hunter who shoots .300 so I figure I can learn a lot from him and his experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckchapman1 View Post
    I guess being new to long distance 400 max for me more comfortable at 200-250 but I know it’s cheating but using a larger caliber to compensate for poor shooting.
    It really doesn't matter what size caliber you shoot if you're a bad shot... Please don't fling lead at something at 400 yards without being confident that the bullet will hit where it's aiming. I will add that the only way to get better at shooting is to practice. And I (a large human) get beat around enough by a 30-06. Just thinking about practicing with a 300 WM has me cringing.
    Old Milwaukee Pro Staff

Quote Originally Posted by oleefish2 View Post
    I use 165 grain on everything and never had any issue. I even shot prairie dogs with them for fun. The 300 is one of my all-time favorite calibers.
    Same here. Either 165s or 180s would be fine for anything. My rifle seems to like 165s a little better.
    John

Chose one bullet weight and stick to it. Each cartridge has one weight that is optimum for the powder capacity. Tinkering is fun, but senseless IMO, and results in nearly undetectable terminal performance beyond the space between your ears...

Note, that going with a light bullet in a 300 will likely ruin more meat rather than keeping it on the heavy end, especially on light skinned game.

There is no such thing as killing something too dead. The idea of shooting small calibers for small(er) game is way over played, IMO.
    "No Kuiu here"

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bambistew View Post
    Note, that going with a light bullet in a 300 will likely ruin more meat rather than keeping it on the heavy end, especially on light skinned game.
    Using a monometal mitigates this effect quite a bit in my experience. I shot 180g SSTs in a .300WM for years, and they did some gruesome things to deer and antelope if you clipped anything solid. Since I've switch to 165g GMXs, I've experienced far less meat damage on similar shots, even though the 165's are moving faster at impact.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12