Yeti GOBOX Collection

.300 Win Mag. One rifle change bullets

I use 165 grain on everything and never had any issue. I even shot prairie dogs with them for fun. The 300 is one of my all-time favorite calibers.

I love my .300 win mag and as others have said, the 180gr is practically the perfect do all for most game.
They are very violent on foxes, coyotes, ground hogs and prairie dogs in my experience.
But it's awfully hard to duplicate the feeling you get seeing a varmit explode up and out in all directions at the same time. That being said, you might want to pick up a .223 or a good .22 magnum for the smaller targets that scurry around out there.

Swapping bullets up and down in the .300 myself for a while, I know the point of impact change creates a lot of rezero time and isn't practical or needed for efficient taking of most all game on the planet.

++1 vote for 180gr. Accubond

Used 30-06, 180gr for Alaska bear, bou, moose for years. Now use 300, 180gr with much better results.

Shot a Raven at around 300yds with a 243 and 75gr Hornady V-Max years ago. Looked like black snow falling!

I've shot everything from whitetail to elk with my .300WM shooting 180grn bullets. I even shot a turkey in the base of the neck once.

Down range knock down power, has a good flat shooting velocity similar to 30-06 but carries more weight at distance ammunition availablity and I guess being new to long distance 400 max for me more comfortable at 200-250 but I know it’s cheating but using a larger caliber to compensate for poor shooting. I also have a fellow hunter who shoots .300 so I figure I can learn a lot from him and his experience.

Down range knock down power, has a good flat shooting velocity similar to 30-06 but carries more weight at distance ammunition availablity and I guess being new to long distance 400 max for me more comfortable at 200-250 but I know it’s cheating but using a larger caliber to compensate for poor shooting. I also have a fellow hunter who shoots .300 so I figure I can learn a lot from him and his experience.

I guess being new to long distance 400 max for me more comfortable at 200-250 but I know it’s cheating but using a larger caliber to compensate for poor shooting.

It really doesn't matter what size caliber you shoot if you're a bad shot... Please don't fling lead at something at 400 yards without being confident that the bullet will hit where it's aiming. I will add that the only way to get better at shooting is to practice. And I (a large human) get beat around enough by a 30-06. Just thinking about practicing with a 300 WM has me cringing.

I use 165 grain on everything and never had any issue. I even shot prairie dogs with them for fun. The 300 is one of my all-time favorite calibers.

Same here. Either 165s or 180s would be fine for anything. My rifle seems to like 165s a little better.

Chose one bullet weight and stick to it. Each cartridge has one weight that is optimum for the powder capacity. Tinkering is fun, but senseless IMO, and results in nearly undetectable terminal performance beyond the space between your ears...

Note, that going with a light bullet in a 300 will likely ruin more meat rather than keeping it on the heavy end, especially on light skinned game.

There is no such thing as killing something too dead. The idea of shooting small calibers for small(er) game is way over played, IMO.

Note, that going with a light bullet in a 300 will likely ruin more meat rather than keeping it on the heavy end, especially on light skinned game.

Using a monometal mitigates this effect quite a bit in my experience. I shot 180g SSTs in a .300WM for years, and they did some gruesome things to deer and antelope if you clipped anything solid. Since I've switch to 165g GMXs, I've experienced far less meat damage on similar shots, even though the 165's are moving faster at impact.

My goal this year was to become a one rifle hunter. I shoot a 300wsm, federal premium 180gr nosler partition. Put 4 whitetail does down this year with that round, ranging in weight from 60-155lbs, at distances from 20-250yrds. The 155lb doe was killed at 20 yards, clean pass through with a fist sized exit, no meat damage. Im not sure how a lighter weight bullet would have held up, but I see no reason to use anything other that load. When these run out i may switch to a monolithic, but I've got a few boxes to burn through first.

Nothing wrong with the 300, and you really could do it all with just a good 165 or 180 grain bullet.

I have happily used my 30-06 with 165 grain Nosler bullets for antelope, deer, black bear and elk. And with one shot kills out to around 340 yards.

Keep it simple works great!

Regards, Guy

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back