Does Anyone Remember Larry Altimus?

so, in reading the article, I'm not sure the guy did anything wrong. He used the system to his advantage. I don't have the time or desire to look up the utah regs to see if there is actually a clause that says "hunters are not to obtain a resident hunting permit if they move to the state for a special or temporary purpose"

I have come across things like this researching Colorado game laws, where is doesn't explain something in the regs, but you dig deeper into the laws and find more. But even if he is a guide, I don't think you can expect someone to do more than know what the regulations say.

so, anyone know if that is explained in the regs?

I know of him but never really knew him. Heard about this deal at the Bozeman sheep show. Sad the lengths some guys will go to to draw a coveted tag.

so, in reading the article, I'm not sure the guy did anything wrong.

The jury obviously felt he did. Juries are notoriously unforgiving of ambiguous laws and regulations. The fact they convicted him tells me it likely wasn't a very gray area.

The jury obviously felt he did. Juries are notoriously unforgiving of ambiguous laws and regulations. The fact they convicted him tells me it likely wasn't a very gray area.

I guess for me, the gray area is that the article doesn't state enough facts for me to judge. If the guy rented a house, moved his stuff there, but never actually lived there, then I agree with the jury. If the state convicted him for getting a tag while working around the system they put in place, then I don't.

Southern Utan is well known to southwest mule deer hunters as a hotbed of poachers, Kanab is the epicenter. With the Kaibab and AZ strip units just across the state line and the Paunsaugunt unit surrounding the town, it's a perfect storm scenario for those who think game laws don't apply to them. Utah DNR and AZ G&F have good ideas who they are, and the locals sure know who they are, often they are relatives. Maybe the residents have decided, enough of this sh*t. Can't have out of staters getting in on the fun. Altimus fits right in, and as an out of stater, no mercy here. GJ

Last edited:
This hit the news earlier in the year; they really threw the book at him. I seem to recall that after he drew the tag (and probably before the hunt) he packed his bags and moved back to AZ, that did not help his case.

Interesting, makes the others who did similar like Liz Cheney or Bill Busbice seem like they got a slap on the wrist for buying resident tags and not meeting requirements.

At the same time if he played by the rules I don't see where he broke the law. If someone moves to Wyoming for a year to get a resident elk tag and them leaves afterwards I really don't see the issue, as long as they waited a year to buy a resident tag.

Must be more to this story.

From the article:

Under Utah law, however, hunters are not to obtain a resident hunting permit if they move to the state for a “special or temporary purpose.” As someone who makes a living helping clients obtain hunting tags, Altimus was well aware of the rules, according to Kane County prosecutor Jeff Stott.

A friend of mine from NC killed last grizzly according to the paper work they sent him. He now lives in on a ranch south of Ennis I am not sure who mounted it for him

I think Larry got screwed on this deal. Did they have a bed check each night to see where he slept?

I think Larry got screwed on this deal. Did they have a bed check each night to see where he slept?

He got exactly what he deserved by violating the Utah requirement that you can't move there for a "special or temporary purpose" and that is exactly what he did just to draw that coveted sheep tag. As soon as he drew the tag he moved right back to his AZ residence and then months later went back to Utah for the hunt itself. As has been mentioned, he makes a living helping others draw tags and knew exactly what he was doing.

Just another cheater and game thief IMO. I'm sure it isn't the first time he bent the rules, it's just the first time he got caught, at 69 he's sure old enough to know better.

I think I met him once, seemed like a nice guy.

Shrapnel, do you remember my avatar?

I don’t. (I’m also not shrapnel). I was just wondering if it was you and Larry throwing back beers on a sheep hunt��

I don’t. (I’m also not shrapnel). I was just wondering if it was you and Larry throwing back beers on a sheep hunt��

Appreciate your curiosity, but I've never had beers with Larry.

I'm curious why Shrap"nobody has killed as many elk as me"nel would care to re-post old news on a number of websites about a former local.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...es-anyone-remember-larry-altimus#Post13254719

Although it's certainly dumb to steal a desert bighorn permit from all the other legal applicants from the Zion unit (including me). It's also dumb to deface petroglyphs such as Shrapnel and family did next to the woman on my avatar.

Last edited:
Larry gamed the system and got caught. If he’d kept his UT residency until after the hunt, he’d been all right or at least had a stronger story in court.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back