Does Anyone Remember Larry Altimus?

If he was legal when the state issued a license, what made it illegal afterword. He had already established residency.

If he was legal when the state issued a license, what made it illegal afterword. He had already established residency.

Read the definition of domicile I posted. He obviously did not legally establish residency if his domicile was only temporary.

Read the definition of domicile I posted. He obviously did not legally establish residency if his domicile was only temporary.

He established permanent residency until he drew a sheep tag, which happened to be the first year he applied! LOL

There is a lot of interpretation in that "special or temporary purpose" statement. Obviously this judge interpreted it one way but that rule was likely written for situations like contractors working in the state temporarily, students, military, NR's with vacation homes in the state, snow birds, etc.. not being able to buy resident tags. It's clear they had likely not planned for this situation. It's also clear that there was likely more to this story than just face value as he certainly got the book thrown at him, or he just had a really bad lawyer. Also seems to be quite a bit of bias in the writing of the article IMO and really only tells one side of the story.

He established permanent residency until he drew a sheep tag, which happened to be the first year he applied! LOL

There is a lot of interpretation in that "special or temporary purpose" statement. Obviously this judge interpreted it one way but that rule was likely written for situations like contractors working in the state temporarily, students, military, NR's with vacation homes in the state, snow birds, etc.. not being able to buy resident tags. It's clear they had likely not planned for this situation. It's also clear that there was likely more to this story than just face value as he certainly got the book thrown at him, or he just had a really bad lawyer. Also seems to be quite a bit of bias in the writing of the article IMO and really only tells one side of the story.

He obviously did not establish permanent legal residency or he wouldn’t have been convicted. My layman’s guess is he didn’t abandon his primary domicile where he actually lived.

I don’t think there is anything obvious about what the judge interpreted based on a newspaper article. Nor is it clear they had never planned for this.

I would consider Larry a friend, it’s a very long story but I gave Larry and Stephanie a ride to the Alder bar late one November night in the late ‘90’s when they were moose hunting in the Gravelly range. They were staying in the Divide Cabin and it burned down that night; we were camped nearby. Later I drew a Rock Creek sheep tag and he very generously came over and helped me shoot a ram.
I reached out to him last year and he relayed his side of the story, it was complex and I don’t feel that I can explain or even remember the nuances, but suffice it to say that he feels he was very much singled out and made an example of because of Utah politics and his prominence.
As he said “, I’ve already shot several desert bighorns, why would I ever do anything that intentionally endangered my reputation and livelihood for another?” I know there are many examples of people who allow greed to override their better judgment but personally I do not think this is one. The jury disagreed.
Regardless, I just feel compelled to say that I think he is a man of extraordinary integrity and a far cry from the wanton calculating poacher some make him out to be.

Last edited:
but suffice it to say that he feels he was very much singled out and made an example of because of Utah politics and his prominence.

Probably a fair bit of truth to this. Hard to believe he didn’t get the DOWs blessings before he made his move.

I ignored the original post - horn freak does something wrong. Big surprise, just another day.
The recent posts piqued my interest for some reason. After reading through, cracked me up.
Here's your sign..............................................

I was referring to the stupidity of putting your signature on one's own vandalism.
But I see your direction........

Get it.

My curiosity is all over the place..

Did the brave use live models? Is that an elk, a bear, or a lion, maybe a saber tooth beaver..

Is that a felony?

I'm sure there's more to the story.

Shrapnel?

Curiosity abounds.
I was wondering about elk numbers being unhealthy where wolves are present.
Upper Madison has lotsa' wolves. The boys (and girls) shot the elk up pretty darn good there recently.
Oops, wrong thread..............

Hey please direct me to the "wolf thread". I'm sure I have some laugh-worthy armchair - not a FWP bio - opinions of little merit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back