Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

hello from Boise

mxapacbe11

hello

this is my first post , moved to Boise from California , love to Hunt and going to shooting range.
what is a good place to start hunting in Boise area? any clubs ?

thanks
Michael

Howdy from another Boisean. Good place to start hunting is really anywhere in Idaho. Not a bad spot in my opinion and I have lived all over this state but have returned to my birthplace in the treasure valley. There is a gun range out towards the prison but quite a few people just shoot on public lands.

Good Luck

Welcome to the forum! I was born in Caldwell, but can't help much with the specifics of where to hunt, we moved from the area in the '70s and Boise has changed a bit since then.

Boise is a great spot if you love the outdoors, prefer not to have a transmission in your front yard and have neighbors with all of their teeth. Many of these "rural" members prefer some elbow room in the smaller towns...

Welcome. Go out in the desert south of the Boise Airport and there are good places to shoot on public.

Hey All,

Just moved to Boise not too long ago as well. Appreciate the insight on where to shoot - I think I found a spot on Google Earth that seems like a decent spot south of the airport like you mentioned twsnow.

Planning on waiting until next fall / winter to get my first deer & elk hunts in, and will look through the rest of the forums for more info on that front, but if any of you guys have any advice or info on how the system works for getting tags / hunts I'd appreciate it! (seems like it's all a lottery system for the different units / zones? I can't just get a tag and go anywhere in the state, correct?)

Look forward to learning more - good luck & happy hunts all.

Incorrect MMRemington. There's tons and tons and tons of over the counter hunting opportunity in Idaho. There's more and more special draw permits for elk, but for deer, it's pretty much a general tag and you can hunt all over the state. I'd suggest picking up a reg book and studying it thoroughly. You will need 6 months residency to get a hunting license, which can be a loooooooong wait (believe me I know.)

Incorrect MMRemington. There's tons and tons and tons of over the counter hunting opportunity in Idaho. There's more and more special draw permits for elk, but for deer, it's pretty much a general tag and you can hunt all over the state. I'd suggest picking up a reg book and studying it thoroughly. You will need 6 months residency to get a hunting license, which can be a loooooooong wait (believe me I know.)

Thanks for the info, and good to know. I'll plan on picking up one of the reg books this weekend and giving it a good read through. Assuming Cabela's would have these? Or are they only available at the F&G office? That's great to hear about the deer hunting throughout most of the state, too.

Thanks for the info & the welcome. Have a great weekend everyone!

Thanks for the info, and good to know. I'll plan on picking up one of the reg books this weekend and giving it a good read through. Assuming Cabela's would have these? Or are they only available at the F&G office? That's great to hear about the deer hunting throughout most of the state, too.

Thanks for the info & the welcome. Have a great weekend everyone!

IDFG has pdf version available online.

Walmart, Fred Meyer, and almost any sporting goods store, including cabelas and sportsman’s warehouse should have copies of the regulations. The books that are on the shelf expire at the end of this hunting seaso (mid June for bears) new books for 2019 and 2020 should be available mid March. Different books are available for upland game, fishing and big three. Welcome to Idaho.

Very cool - yeah I think I found the ones online, and assume a little will change as the seasons do, but great to just read up on it and become familiar. Would rather be over prepared than under prepared! I'll be in Cabela's tomorrow, so will probably grab a physical copy as well.

Really appreciate the warm welcome everyone. Looking forward to learning more & contributing where I can (I'll get there eventually as I gain experience...)

Have a great weekend!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back