Caribou Gear

MT pronghorn 2018

LopeHunter

My in-laws grew up around Helena, MT, then moved to the West Coast after his Korean War service. Way back in 1987, I met my future father-in-law, Bob, and was the first hunter his Los Angeles daughter had dated so he was thrilled. Bob had grown up hunting so suggested we go on an elk hunt in Montana. I had grown up in the Midwest before relocating to CA. I had not yet been on an elk hunt but wanted to since my grandfather passed away prior to taking me to CO which he had done with my two older siblings as they each had turned 18. The largest things I had hunted were whitetails and Eastern turkeys.

I began to do some research for the elk hunt which was not as easy as today now that there are online resources. The next weekend I shared what I had learned and later that afternoon Bob began to call friends from his school days. He had a little pocket notebook with 100s if not 1000s of names, addresses and phone numbers. The first call resulted in finding out a friend had died of cancer a decade prior. The next call revealed his friend was in assisted living. No answer the 3rd call. The fourth call got through to a friend but was on oxygen and had not hunted for years. Bob looked as if he had gotten kicked in the gut. These were friends from high school. Close friends back in the day. Our adventure had hit bump in the road.

Bob's wife pulled me aside after dinner that evening and said I should drop the elk idea as Bob was too old to be climbing around the mountains. He smoked two packs a day. He liked his vodka in evenings. Carried a bit of extra weight. Had not shot a rifle in 25 years.

The elk adventure was revisited off and on but never got off the ground. We did make three summer family trips to Helena to visit with friends and relatives but never hunted together. I began to draw some tags for Western hunts and Bob would cheer me on as we discussed the details.

Bob passed away 20 years later having not fired his rifle for the prior five decades. His wife passed away a year ago.

I drew a MT pronghorn tag this year for unit a couple of hours north of Helena. I passed though Helena during the drive. I was thinking back to those summer visits to Helena and wondered how old I was back then and how old Bob was. I realized I am the age now as when I met Bob. Dang, how did that happen in a blink of an eye?

Season had been open a couple of weeks in the unit and had 3 hours before sunset so I decided to go check out one of the unit's Block Management parcels. Once I left the paved road to travel up from the south along Birdtail Road there was a crest. The downhill side of the hill was slick due to the frozen road being partially thawed so I slid a bit this way then that way until got to the bottom where was boggy and rutted. Not much fun but did not get stuck and never got to look around the Block Management parcel that evening. Imagine this sort of road.

Mud not good.PNG

I knew things would dry out but for now needed a Plan B for the morning.

Last edited:
" I was thinking back to those summer visits to Helena and wondered how old I was back then and how old Bob was. I realized I am the age now as when I met Bob. Dang, how did that happen in a blink of an eye?"

Maybe not Helena and also not Bob but i've been having a lot of similar occurrences and thoughts lately. Looking forward to the rest of the story. Thanks!

That evening, I looked over the various Block Management parcels that were along paved roads and some of the state lands. I had earlier made a reservation at one of the Block Management parcels that requires that process. The parcel was along a paved road so no mud driving involved. I could hunt there in the morning. Plan B was ready.

I headed out before sunrise and then at first light drove along the paved road stopping over each rise to glass. I eventually spotted a herd of about 20 pronghorn. Did not even check if there was a buck. I am not a trophy hunter so if there was a mature buck then I would fill my tag. If there was not, would hike around a few hours as was a large parcel. I headed to the designated parking area and got my backpack and rifle. Was a mile or so north of the herd. Brisk. Blue sky. Light pack so would be easy hiking rolling hills. A few small snow patches remained.

IMG_0430.jpg

I hiked so would be further north of the road than the pronghorn herd. During the 20 minutes of hiking, a herd of pronghorn was on the move from northwest. They never got within 200 yards of me and were on edge. I continued and when was about to be able to see into the area where the pronghorn should be there came a string of pronghorn towards me from the southeast. I popped open my cow decoy since no cover otherwise. Three bucks were in the group and one was a bit heavier. Under 200 yards. Not nervous. Broadside. Boom. Flop. Tag notched.

IMG_0434.jpg

A bittersweet moment. Bob had hunted throughout this basin as a kid. I like to think Bob and his wife would smile if I could send him the picture with those mountains in the background.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the old memories relived, the new memories created and a nice buck!

But what's with this "way back in 1987" stuff? That wasn't that long ago, unless I'm getting ........ old:confused:

Last edited:
One of the best write ups I've read here in some time. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Amazing write up and congrats!
Did you end up with Bobs rifle??

I have all of Bob's guns and the rifle was originally Bob's father who bought the Model 54 in .30 Government 06 new after serving in WW1 in France. Unfortunately the 54's barrel rusted in a few spots including inside at some point over the decades. My brother says is not easy to put a low profile scope on a 54 even if I decided to replace the barrel. I could use the action to make a rifle though do not need another rifle. I have a nephew (Bob's grandson) who is a Major in the Marine Corps and hunted prior to enlisting so I could use the 54's action to gift him a custom rifle.

I have all of Bob's guns and the rifle was originally Bob's father who bought the Model 54 in .30 Government 06 new after serving in WW1 in France. Unfortunately the 54's barrel rusted in a few spots including inside at some point over the decades. My brother says is not easy to put a low profile scope on a 54 even if I decided to replace the barrel. I could use the action to make a rifle though do not need another rifle. I have a nephew (Bob's grandson) who is a Major in the Marine Corps and hunted prior to enlisting so I could use the 54's action to gift him a custom rifle.

What a great story. So much is lost to time as we spend the most of our time trying to make a living and pay bills. I think of my life, living in Montana and having the ability to hunt/fish year round. Now at retirement age, I realize that the "Bobs' in our lives may be a father, brother or son and we need to take every opportunity to share those experiences. After all it isn't about horns, it is about the tracks we make...

Great reflections here sir it reminds me of what Randy’s friend told him, something like “hunt as much as you can; you’ll run out of time before you run out of money.”

You ever thought about having that Model 54 rebored? You could have a nice 338-06, .35 Whelen, 9.3x62, or .375-06!

Good buck. Congratulations on a good experience in crazy gorgeous country!

I am thinking about a worthy manner to get the 54 out and hunting. Might reuse the action. Could rebarrel. I really only use 2 rifles for big game and 2 shotguns and 1 handgun and shoot them each enough to know what they can do in various situations. I do not need another rifle but maybe my wife's nephew does. I would let him decide and I would pay for what it takes to make it happen.

Back