Copper projectile options

Aussie_hunter_JD

Hi all,

I had another thread looking for suggestions on projectiles as I couldn't get barnes here (4 months of back order with no indication they would come any time soon).

Wondering how people have found e-tip and gmx as a comparison? Any similarities or key differences from the ttsx or are they all essentially the same regarding accuracy and performance?
Cheers,

The gmx and E-tip are made of gilding metal while the ttsx is pure copper. Gilding metal is slightly harder and slicker than pure copper. It usually gives less copper fouling and pressure. It has been used for decades in all cup and draw conventional bullets. Some rifles like them better than others. Try them to find out. GJ

Not sure if they ship out of the US but checkout hammer bullets or cutting edge for some awesome lead free options.

Yep, Hammer. Just saw some Hammer's in action last week. Plus, the guy that makes them answers the phone. mtmuley

So being gilding metal they won't open up at as low speeds as a pure copper pill like barnes?

I think it depends on the design of the hollow point and cavity beneath it. After all we've been using cup and draw conventional bullets for decades and have never had an issue about them not opening. We always hear about them over expanding and "blowing out" whole shoulders or hind quarters. Try them and see how your rifle shoots with them. GJ

I think it depends on the design of the hollow point and cavity beneath it. After all we've been using cup and draw conventional bullets for decades and have never had an issue about them not opening. We always hear about them over expanding and "blowing out" whole shoulders or hind quarters. Try them and see how your rifle shoots with them. GJ

I'd love to but when all copper prohectiles are over $80 per 50 I can't afford to buy all of them just to try. That's why I'm trying to figure out the best bet or knock out some first.

These guys (monometal bullets) are longer than standard conventional bullets. Faster twist rates are often required to stabilize them. I wish I had a better answer other than take a deep breath and buy 'em. GJ

Good expansion at lower speeds, a number of options, and the company is small and will care enough about a single customer.

I’m working on some loads with E tips right now. They don’t foul any less than Barnes or Hammers.

Barnes are remarkably easy to get to shoot well, as are Hammers. In my limited experience, the E tips seem a little more picky for load development.

Pay attention to twist for the bullet. Not all copper heavies need a super fast twist. Use the Berger stability calculator and check the bullet you are looking at for your gun. Back off the lands by .050” and watch your pressure.

Copper bullets perform best when they are pushed fast.

If you’re going to pay through the nose for shipping I’d go with Hammers.

So being gilding metal they won't open up at as low speeds as a pure copper pill like barnes?

They advertise expansion at 1800. I think Barnes is 1600. I can’t recall what Hammers was. I think it was 1800ish?

A pure copper bullet needs velocity to open and expand well. My personal limit is 2000fps with copper or mono bullets.
The hammer bullets are a different design and it’s reported they open more reliably at lower velocity. I haven’t used them yet so can’t say for certain but I trust the reports from some guys that have used them.

Good expansion at lower speeds, a number of options, and the company is small and will care enough about a single customer.

Another benefit is that Hammer will custom cut a bullet for guys that want something not offered. Try that with the big manufacturers. mtmuley

I've been reloading and hunting with the Nosler E-tips for about a decade now. As long as you use Nosler's recomended load recipes, it works as good if not better than factory ammo, better still if you use compressed loads. I've had zero luck with barnes, too many failures there, both in accuracy and terminal performance. I've killed deer, elk and hogs with the them, most DRT. Your mileage may vary.

Im handloading for a 7x57 with a 1:9 twist. I was originally set on 150ttsx just couldn't get them. Don't think hammer are readily available here

Im handloading for a 7x57 with a 1:9 twist. I was originally set on 150ttsx just couldn't get them. Don't think hammer are readily available here

To my knowledge, Hammers are only available direct from the company. Pretty fast twist, if you can get E-tips they are worth a try.

To clarify, I’d still order the Hammers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most bullets, yes even your ole cup & core bullets, are advertised to expand at 1,800 fps.
The exemption being the Nosler Accubond Long Range, which is supposed to expand down to 1,300 fps.

All copper options would include the Cutting Edge Raptor ER, and the MTH ( Match, Tactical Hunting) that will work for your caliber and twist rate.
Be aware however that the Cutting Edge bullets perform as the original Barnes X bullet, in that 4-8 petals break off and the base ( with it's ragged edge) continues through the game.

Back