When shots are too far for you it doesnt matter what caliber you are toting

These threads are interesting to say the least. The last five years I became involved in Black Powder Rifle Silhouette. I average about 2000 rounds during the season. The ranges are chickens at 200 meters, pigs at 300 meters, turkeys at 380 meters and rams at 500 meters. You get 10 rounds for score at each range plus sighter rounds The time is 7 1/2 minutes for the first 5 animals and 5 1/2 minutes for the next 5. The chickens are shot off hand and the rest prone using cross sticks. In Butte they allow guys to shoot along side the Black Powder rifles with scoped centerfire rifles. Yes there are several 6.5 manbuns :) and 308's with some quality glass. They also use the same positions but use ammo cans and a sandbag for support instead of cross sticks. It is eye opening that the wind and mirage can cause so many misses under known distances. Once the range gets beyond 300 meters misses are normal when the conditions are changing during your string of fire. Also keep in mind each shooter has a spotter and there is constant communication going back and forth. Knocking down all 30 lay down targets happens but it's the exception not the norm. If you can find a silhouette range near you give it a try you might learn your limitations and have a lot of fun doing it. Then you can get a better idea of your personal limits of shooting at game.

Dan

My main problem with long range shooting is time of flight with a Rifle and a lot of them take 1 second to travel 750 yards. Now do you know when a feeding or standing animal is going to take one step yes one step. Time your self how far you can travel in 1 second and any game animal is over double the speed of you.
That chest shot you took, just turned into a gut shot in 1 second.
I have always woundered on these videos showing ultra long range shots how many are wounding game and never know it. I would bet they are well edited also.
Have Fun and Good Hunting.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back