Mid-2018 Hunting Recap (Pic Heavy)

Back for an update, One of my best friends drew a Rifle Breaks tag with one point, up to this point he had never shot an elk. All in all, we spent over 20 days scouting this unit prior to the season starting. Prior to archery season starting we had a couple bulls picked out, with a few others not far behind. Sorry about the quality of these first couple, they looked far better on my phone.

NrS3CUh.jpg

Knowing this area, we were aware some of the bulls would leave during the rut but we held out hope they would return afterwards before winter set in. My buddy was a real poor planner and had his third child due for November 17. The closer he got to the season, I could tell he was getting more and more antsy about finding a good bull and not having to worry about the end of the season.

Back for an update, One of my best friends drew a Rifle Breaks tag with one point, up to this point he had never shot an elk. All in all, we spent over 20 days scouting this unit prior to the season starting. Prior to archery season starting we had a couple bulls picked out, with a few others not far behind. Sorry about the quality of these first couple, they looked far better on my phone.

One point lottery winner! Grats on the draw for your friend! Best of success to him - great to have the quality company for scouting / hunting to maximize the opportunity of a lifetime hunt! Look forward to following along. Cool pics! Curious how those tipi tents hold up in wind. Amazing to have such open ground to glass!

Edit: Holy Shnitz!!! That bull is massive! I was posting while you were tacking onto your thread. Amazing bull! Mucho grats! I would have to build a new living room to mount that in my house!

Last edited:
Man, you are doing it right! Congrats to your buddy. A child's birthday in November will be both a blessing and a curse the rest of his life!

Curious how those tipi tents hold up in wind. Amazing to have such open ground to glass!

I think the tipis do amazingly well in the wind. The night that picture was taken wind gusts were over 45 and we didn’t pick a spot out of the wind in the least bit. I think people get in trouble thinking of a tipi as a 4 season tent. When that stove is going things are great but it cools down in a hurry after the stove is out. Definitely still need to pack a sleeping bag that can handle the temperatures.

Schaaf, those are some fantastic bulls. I dig the twist on your buddy's bull. And that photo inside the tent by the stove--beautifully captured moment. Thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back