Caribou Gear

Light weight, compact, warm sleeping pad recommendations

WildRHK

What's everyone using to fit this bill???

I am using my old closed cell foam mat, which I've had since the late 80's - as far as reasonable comfort and R-value, it works pretty good...But I really would like to improve the packed size factor (anyone that's used these know they are not compact). I recently used a blow up type that I borrowed and I had two issues with it: 1) it was not very warm in colder weather and 2) I couldn't find the sweet spot between comfort and being over inflated and sliding around on the dang thing...I suspect that may have been in part based on the fact that it is a cheaper model and not the better made high end mat.

However, all that aside, I really don't want to waste 80 to 120 bucks on something that doesn't perform better than what I am currently using. Any suggestions, thoughts or experience worth sharing?

Thanks.

I rock the Big Agnes insulated core, it weighs about what my old thermorest weighed but is way more comfortable and warmer. One thing I'd recommend is feeling it before buying it. One of my hunting partners has one that is noisier than a lays potato chip bag, it drives me crazy.

I use a Sea to Summit ultralight insulated. Pretty compact and light. Definitely improves warmth. I have the uninsulated version for summer and I can tell there is a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by wllm1313 View Post
Thermarest neoair xtherm; ultralight and super warm
Same for me. There are lighter, but for a fall/winter/spring pad this one hits the sweet spot for my needs

Xtherm all the way. Buy it from REI and if you dont like it, return it. That's what REI stands for "return every item"

Klymit insulated v. You can compare the specs with the others. I doubt it gives up much if anything to versions costing much more.

^^^ Purchased (and not yet used afield) on our very own Dinkshooter's recommendation.

The un-insulated Klymit version has given me many comfortable nights sleep in a tent.......as much as a night in a tent can be "comfortable".

Klymit Static V is a damn comfortable pad. My favorite by far. But the Xtherm is lighter and warmer.

Like others have stated, I recommend the Klymit Static V Lite. I have used it the past two years on our hunting trips, including a couple nights down around 12 degrees. It's comfortable, light, has a good R-Value and is reasonably priced.

Definitely test them out. A back sleeper will love something someone else won't, and those that have issues with noise will need something else completely. I have been impressed with both Thermarest and Klymit over the years as well as Big Agnes, so find something that fits the design, weight, and $$$ and get out there with it.

Side sleeper here and I love my Klymit Insulated Static V. If I was going to buy another one Id get the wider one (deluxe version) and soak up the weight penalty.
+1 for the Klymit!
CamoFire has them on there at 50% off on a regular basis.
Also their sit pad is pretty nice.

I upgraded to a Big Agnes Insulated AXL earlier this fall from a Therma-Rest ProLite. Slepted on it for two weeks during the Idaho B tag season in Unit 22. I'm a side sleeper; it was very comfortable that way, but it isn't the warmest pad in the world. It'll work great for spring, summer, and early fall, but I'll be looking another direction for late season and winter camping. Deflated it rolls up and is smaller than a can a beer, and weighs in somewhere south of a pound. I like it, just as I said, not overwhelming on the insulation side.

I've had really good luck with Exped sleeping pads. I have a synmat 7 that's 8 years old and has accrued a countless nights, and has never leaked. I also have a Synmat HL that is my lightweight pad. I haven't used it nearly as much as my synmat 7, but it hasn't leaked yet. The thermarest xtherm is a great pad too, but it's more crinkly and loud than the exped, so I returned it.

I've used big agnes, rei, and klymit as well, and they've all leaked. Might have just been bad luck, but again, never had an issue with my Expeds.

Back