PEAX Equipment

Leupold BX-5 vs Zeiss Conquest

CForest

Now that the full line of BX-5's have been out, I am curious how they stack up against the competition?? Such as the zeiss conquest or similar. I've been running the 10x42 conquests for a couple years, and really love them for the $$. BUT I just got off an elk hunt where I got to use some swaro slc 15x56, incredible glass and I spotted more game than ever. The 15s are a bit more than I would like to carry all the time, so I am looking at going to a set of 12x50 as a do it all set of binos. I can get a killer deal on some leupolds which is why I am asking how they stack up to the competition. I know their warranty and quality control are top notch. But does the glass compete finally???? Thanks!!

I believe the bx-5 has the Abbe-Koenig prism which is somewhat rare.

Here is a list of other models which have that type of prism to give you an idea. This came from a star gazers site, as you can see they know their stuff.

- DDoptics Pirschler 8x56 (identicl with Vixen New Foresta, see below)
- DDoptics Nachtfalke 10x60 / 12x60
- Docter 8x56 ED/OH

- Optolyth Royal 8x56 / 10x56
- Optolyth Royal 9x63 / 15x63
- SIG-Sauer Zulu 9 (9x45 / 11x45)
- Swarovski SLC 8x56 / 10x56 / 15x56
- Vixen New Foresta 8x56 (identical with DDoptics Pirschler, see above)
- Zeiss Conquest 8x50 / 10x50 / 8x56 / 10x56 (out of production)
- Zeiss Conquest HD 8x56 / 10x56 / 15x56

- Zeiss Dialyt 8x56
- Zeiss Victory Fl 8x56 / 10x56 (out of production)
- Zeiss Victory HT 8x42 / 10x42
- Zeiss Victory HT 8x54 / 10x54
> Maven B2 and B4
> Nikon WX 7x50 IF and 10x50 IF

As far as magnification more power is not always better. You give up FOV and brightness with more magnification. That's why I recommend looking at binoculars with larger objectives than 56 if you are wanting to go to higher magnifications. I am not able to hold anything more than 10x still free handing with binoculars so if it's more than that it needs to go on a tripod for me to see. But everyone is different.

Last edited:
Some good feedback thanks! That is interesting on the prism that they use. Somewhat rare, but good company it looks like to me!!
I was actually very surprised with how well I could look through the 15x free handed. Not that I would want to for very long but really wasn't too bad for me. A quick look here or there I could manage just fine. More than that and I "should" have time to set up the tripod anyways...
I really think I could run just the 15x and be more than happy, but they are BIG!! The swaros were fairly sleek for the size, but the luepold 15x just look huge!! That said I haven't looked at many options in person.

Some good feedback thanks! That is interesting on the prism that they use. Somewhat rare, but good company it looks like to me!!
I was actually very surprised with how well I could look through the 15x free handed. Not that I would want to for very long but really wasn't too bad for me. A quick look here or there I could manage just fine. More than that and I "should" have time to set up the tripod anyways...
I really think I could run just the 15x and be more than happy, but they are BIG!! The swaros were fairly sleek for the size, but the luepold 15x just look huge!! That said I haven't looked at many options in person.

That prism type allows more light transmission but as you mentioned the downside is they are slightly bigger and heavier. Good company indeed, I'm curious about some of the brands that are not popular with hunters. Most people prefer something in the 8x - 12x range for a primary bino you will notice that the 15x is not terribly popular with only a few models available but if it works for you that's all that matters. Just keep in mind that much like the prism there is always a downside to more magnification which limits FOV substantially.

For example the BX-5 15x56 has a FOV of 231 ft.
12x50 is 272 and 25
10x50 is 304 with a 22.4 twilight factor.

You would think that Leupold would have good specs on the website but they are lacking as can be. 8x42 does not even list FOV in ft or meters. 15x56 does not have a twilight factor.

It's much easier to understand looking at a chart with all the data and models listed side by side like this. Take note of the FOV differences, and twilight factor, brightness, light transmission, eye relief, prism type, etc.. as there are subtle differences.
https://mavenbuilt.com/b-series-binoculars/
https://mavenbuilt.com/b-series-binoculars/

Are those industry standard ratings?? Like the twilight factor for example??? Totally agree on the leupold site lacking some important info, my guess is that it is a new line and just haven't got it up to snuff yet. But shame on them ha! I may not pull the trigger until next summer anyways, unless i find a buyer for my zeiss first.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back