"Unleaded" bullet performance

Here's a 30-06 150 gr e-tip I pulled from the offside gristle plate on a 150 lb hog.

IMG_20181119_105109000.jpg

I've not had a lot of luck with Barnes...it seems either your rifle loves them or you can't hit dirt.

Last edited:
Those bullets stay together a lot better than the 150 grain ballistic Winchester silvertips.... Thats a fact.

Between my daughter and I, we’ve shot 3 good sized bull elk and 1 deer with Barnes 165 GR TTSX out of my 30-06. She shoots that gun great even being small (it has a muzzle break). Only found one bullet so far but only had to track one elk...and it went about 65 yards. Everything thing else died within a step or two.

The deer she shot this year was a brutal clean pass through both shoulder blades and half the spine.

This was the quartering away exit on the bull I shot. Entered a couple ribs behind the crease (on the right side).
65181ECF-F3E0-47B1-B37A-F5A10078BD4E.jpg

Last edited:
I've been shooting 150gr barnes ttsx this year out of my 300wm. Took two deer so far and they have performed excellent. No bullets recovered yet both animals quarter to.

I have been shooting 150 grain TTSX in my 30-06 for about 10 years now. They shoot really well out of my gun and have performed excellent on game. I have shot numerous animals over that time with most being pass throughs and all being short recoveries. Below are the few that did not pass through. The three on the left are slightly recessed in a picture frame so they appear shorter. Starting from the left, the first two are on a bull moose at 65 yards. One though the shoulder and one through the hip as it went out of view. Both were recovered on the opposite hide. The third bullet was from an elk at 245 yards on a downhill shot and was recovered in the chest cavity. The fourth was from a muley doe that was quartering away at a little over 300 yards and I shot too far back. The bullet was found in the hide on the opposite front shoulder. The fifth was from last week on a muley buck at 140 yards. The buck was quartering toward me more than I would have liked and I put it through the front shoulder. Fount the ballistic tip in against the front shoulder blade and the bullet just about all the way through the rear quarter. Damage some meat on the front shoulder but minimal loss on the rear quarter. The last bullet is from my wifes 7mm-08 from a deer last year that was also quartering.

The speed of the bullet definitely plays role in how far down the bullet expands. My dad has recovered one from his 7mm Rem Mag and it had sheared off one petal. Overall I have been very happy with them in ever gun I have tried them in.

Bullets.PNG

Here is the top view but the order is reversed.

20181120_151844.jpg

Attachments

• 20181120_151757.jpg
    20181120_151757.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 147
Being from California inside the "Condor Range," I've been using non lead bullets for over 10 years. I've had nothing but good luck with them on deer, pigs, and antelope. This year was my first elk with non lead.

230 yard frontal (and slightly downhill) shot on a cow elk
180 Gr. TTSX out of a 300 Win Mag.
Bullet entered just inside of her shoulder and a bit high on her left side. It was recovered against the hide on her right rear hind quarter. She took about 4 steps and fell.

While the bullet did its job, I was surprised by how much it appeared to have lost. I didn't weigh it, but I figured there would be more petals peeled back.

i-7fsrLJW-L.jpg

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zjzeuske
Back