Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

"Unleaded" bullet performance

Redman

20181024_145036.jpg
Well my first use of non lead bullet was most impressive.
.308 Win 150 gr. Barnes TTSX 2744 fps (muzzle velocity).
341 yds mule deer buck quartering towards me. Hit just behind the shoulder and lodged just under the skin on the rear quarter. I will be using this load on everything from antelope to elk!

similar performance using Nosler 180 grain E-tip traveling approx 2920fps in my 300WSM...didn't recover the bullet except for a 4 grain piece...minimal meat damage.

I have always been a Nosler fan, but I was having trouble finding e-Tips in stock anywhere.

I have always been a Nosler fan, but I was having trouble finding e-Tips in stock anywhere.

No kidding I finally got my hands on 6.5mm caliber e-Tips, I called around and they aren't carried in any stores and midway hardly ever has them in stock... with all the hipsters out there I can't believe they aren't carried in cabels, basspro, sportsmans, etc.

I am shooting 165gr TTSX out of my 300WSM this Fall for the first time. Haven’t had to shoot yet but I hope to see similar results on a bull elk in the near future!

I think you'll continue to be impressed. My latest victim to the 130 grain ttsx in 270 WSM was a mature mulie buck quartering to me at 244 yards. It was an uphill shot. The bullet busted the lower front leg, went directly through the center of the heart, and exited high at the last rib. He took about 5 steps toward me and went down hard. Meat loss on the front shoulder was minimal but, unfortunately, the heart was turned to jelly. The more I use copper, the more impressed I am with them.

I think you'll continue to be impressed. My latest victim to the 130 grain ttsx in 270 WSM was a mature mulie buck quartering to me at 244 yards. It was an uphill shot. The bullet busted the lower front leg, went directly through the center of the heart, and exited high at the last rib. He took about 5 steps toward me and went down hard. Meat loss on the front shoulder was minimal but, unfortunately, the heart was turned to jelly. The more I use copper, the more impressed I am with them.

Same here. TTSX is the real deal. Ive shot several mule deer and one elk with a 270 WSM and have never had to look for one. Great ammo.

Did your.308 not like the 130 grainers?

I didn't try the 130gr. I was looking for a bullet that I would feel comfortable with on any big game animal with the exception of the grizz. Not saying a 130gr wouldn't just saying that is my preference.

I didn't try the 130gr. I was looking for a bullet that I would feel comfortable with on any big game animal with the exception of the grizz. Not saying a 130gr wouldn't just saying that is my preference.

10-4. Just curious, everybody I know that shoots Barnes in a 308 swears by the 130s. However, they ain't shooting nothing but whitetails.

Congrats on the buck.

I shoot .308 with.165gr. for deer and elk,perfect all around setup.:cool:
P.S. splatters Javelina all over the hillside.

I just picked up a Browning X Bolt in 7mm Rem Mag. I think I'm gonna run either the 139gr. LRX or the 140gr. TTSX, assuming the gun likes them.

I just picked up a Browning X Bolt in 7mm Rem Mag. I think I'm gonna run either the 139gr. LRX or the 140gr. TTSX, assuming the gun likes them.
My .308 is a Browning Hells Canyon Speed Rifle. It shoots them great.

This Barnes 150 TTSX was shot out of my 7mm RM, 3000fs. Cow elk shot in it’s bed a 95 yards quarter away. Located underneath off shoulder. Elk never move from its ned.D44A0B86-58D4-47F6-AF67-B1E15F105E47.jpgD44A0B86-58D4-47F6-AF67-B1E15F105E47.jpg

Nice shot on the mule deer!!

Very cool to recover the bullet and see the performance.

I was able to harvest a bull at 300 yds using a 145gr Barnes LRX from a 280 Ackley. The hole was approximately double the diameter through the shoulder and passed through.

elk shoulder.jpg

I've been shooting Barnes TTSX's out of my .30-06, and .308 for the last three years, but I have yet to put one in an animal. I have a friend that has shot a couple of caribou with the TTSX's, and he likes them. My .308 and .30-06 shoot them great, but my WSM and .300 WM do not shoot them well at all.

Back