First time load for my 7mm08

Scarey

I am looking to work up a load for my 7mm08. I am loading Hornady 150gr ELD-X or Nosler 150gr BT. I am stuck between loading Varget for this load or H-380. The Nosler reloading guide #8 is saying that the h-380 is the most accurate powder. I am curious if anyone has any experiences loading with these powders and I am open to any helpful advice with this cal.

I never tried H380 but I used Varget and H4350 trying to get 150 ELD-X to shoot in my 7-08. I could not get anything resembling accuracy at all. With both powders - the higher the charge the wider the group. I kind lost interest in ELD-X at that point. Maybe H380 is the ticket; Varget certainly was not, in my experience.

Varget does very well in one of my 08s with Nosler Partitions. I haven't experienced very good results with the 150 eldx yet using a few different powders. I got some big game powder to try, which I've heard does well.

H380, and Varget are both good powders.
Butttt.....
I would use neither of them for shooting a 150gr bullet in 7mm-08, especially for a hunting load.
Better choices would be H414, or Alliant Power Pro 2000, or one of the 4350's.
You'll get better case fill, and higher velocities.

When manual says "most accurate powder tested" it really means nothing to us. It is for that bullet/powder/barrel on that given day.
Your results will vary. Also i think it unlikely your shooting a 7mm-08 with a 26" barrel.

4350, 414 would probably be highest...I'm working with RL16 which resembles 4350 in my 7mm-08. My initial stages of load development with the Eitp suggest a loads above or near max.

H380, and Varget are both good powders.
Butttt.....
I would use neither of them for shooting a 150gr bullet in 7mm-08, especially for a hunting load.
Better choices would be H414, or Alliant Power Pro 2000, or one of the 4350's.
You'll get better case fill, and higher velocities.

When manual says "most accurate powder tested" it really means nothing to us. It is for that bullet/powder/barrel on that given day.
Your results will vary. Also i think it unlikely your shooting a 7mm-08 with a 26" barrel.

Agreed, I'm shooting a 22" barrel. I understand that things will varry with different barrel lengths, temperature and all. I appreciate that I don't necessarily need to follow the " most accurate powder tested" quote. That is why I am asking before I try to work up any loads. I am a firm believer in peoples personal experiences as well. Thanks

I've found that the "most accurate " load listed by Nosler has been spot on in 5 cartridges and as many rifles.

I'll agree with Beanland on the Ramshot Big Game. 4007 was good also, but alas has been discontinued.

And sorry, but i'll disagree with N2trkys. I do a ladder test, and let the rifle tell me most accurate. Usually not close to "published most accurate".

4350, 414 would probably be highest...I'm working with RL16 which resembles 4350 in my 7mm-08. My initial stages of load development with the Eitp suggest a loads above or near max.
I also have some RL 22 that I was planning on using for my .280 Rem, do you think it would be too fast for the 08?

Thank you all for the advice. I am thinking I will take my time working up some loads after hunting season ends, meantime I'll stick to factory loads. I will also look into other powders.

Someone correct if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Nosler list the 'Most Accurate' as the load that produced the lowest Standard Deviation during their load development. I doubt that they have the time to have someone actually sit at a range and measure groups.

Aside from that, I used a 150BT for a decade out of my 7-08. Worked Great!

Actually I have found that either Varget, or RL-15, will work well with a certain bullet, but so far, not both. Can't explain it.

If all you have is Varget & H-380 I suspect that Varget is going to be your best bet. Or.....get a can of RL-15.

I really don't know what the deal is with 150 ELD-X except that maybe my rifle just doesn't like them. I've gotten some good loads using 140gn Accubonds and Interlock BTSPs with both Varget and H4895. I've heard some people say those ELD-Xs are pretty awesome.

Ive been using varget with 162 eld-ms in my long action 7/08. Getting 2730 fps out of a 22in pipe and .5 moa accuracy. Puts the thumping on critters too.

H414 will get you some velocity, but it said to be temperature sensitive.
I've found Varget and RL 15 work pretty good in my 708.

While not what your asking, it could prove helpful if the 150eld x route doesn't pan out....I tried to find a load with 150 gr bullet in my sons 7-08. In my case I tried partitions and accubonds with H4350 and Varget. I couldn't find a combo it liked. I switched to 140 grain and got sub 1" with both powders.

I’m getting great accuracy and 2870fps with Big Game and 140 grain Partitions out of a 20” barrel.

Back