Yeti GOBOX Collection

Weird performance Nosler Partitions?

AvidIndoorsman

I shot a buck last night with 140grn partitions, out of my .264 win mag. Muzzle velocity 3100fps, buck was 90 yards broadside

My bullet went in and out the same side. Never seen anything like this not sure what it hit or how it could have happened? I shot A-Frames for 4 years and they always went clean through on shots like this, I haven’t shot a ton of different bullets so I wasn’t sure what to think.

5E99A481-5CA5-4A33-A2EB-07BFD60072EF.jpg

39495C40-B183-4587-9BCF-BA019F62EFE2.jpg

Other side of cheast
06BCFF16-A7E7-466D-B749-BBE3EABF1714.jpg

I saw this happen this year as well. Derek’s cow elk was shot with a 140g Accubond out of a 6.5 Creedmoor. Holes were two inches apart. Did a complete necrosis and couldn’t find ant evidence of a hit on the opposite side. Bullet went in thru the lung, then liver, into a full stomach of grass. It did a 360 turn and exited the same way it went in. Should of taken pics, no one believes me when I tell them.

Have seen pictures of a pig hit by a 115gr 25 cal Ballistic Tip.
In at the "shield" , turned, went up the neck, and exited through same side ear.

Like auto racing, strange things happen.

You 100% sure the entry hole is the actual entry? I’ve never seen a bullet punch through a rib like that without shattering it.

Shot a whitetail buck about 4 years ago went in through right hind found in right flank area, the bullet did not mushroom instead the bullet just kind of flattened.

My guess is the big hole is entry and the others are schrapnel.

If you go watch tracers at night on a training range, you'll see them bouncing around and leaving the target in every direction.

I had a 165gr Accubond blow up on 150lb whitetail at about 225yds. The shot was slightly quartering away and hit about the 5 inches behind the shoulder. No exit but straight up wrecked his lungs and he only went about 5 yards. I found probably 10 fragments in the gut pile. It was the Nosler 165gr 30-06 trophy grade factory load. I have killed 5-6 animals with this load and it's super accurate out of my rifle. I'm sticking with it for this year but am considering going all copper next season.

I just shot a whitetail buck about 120 yards Saturday afternoon with a 280 and the 162 grain nosler partitions. Shot went in quartering to me at the right shoulder and I found the bullet in the offside ham. It wrecked the right shoulder making it unusable and the buck went 30 yards and crashed. I shot a cow elk this year with them and she didn't make it too far either and I didn't make a great shot on her. Bullets seem to like my gun.

Friends wyoming antelope this year was shot with 270 wsm. 130 gr accubond. Dead center the shoulder and dropped him. It didn't kill him though. 1 hole out the neck and 1 straight out the bottom . He was alive when friend got to him so he put another one in him

It does not make any difference which bullet that you start talking about, at some point, they are all subject to doing weird things. It really is odd that it did a complete turnaround, though. I have never had a bullet do that. I had a Sierra bullet shot from a .308 at close range, enter and travel the length of the spine on a mulie buck and when recovered, was flattened lengthwise. There was zero expansion on the bullet.

I agree with JLS.

With that said, I've seen a couple bullets do some crazy stuff.

My wife shot an antelope buck broadside with a 25/06 and 120 grain nosler solid base at about 125 yards. I saw the bullet impact tight behind the shoulder through my binoculars and within a few steps, I could see blood coming from the entrance side. I was sure the buck would die, and it just kept going...I also noticed blood on the same side near the hind leg.

After about 400 yards, the buck bedded and died shortly there-after.

The bullet went in, hit a rib and turned about 90 degrees and exited the same side out the middle of the hind quarter, never breaking any other bones. The bullet got far enough into the rib-cage to hit one lung and nicked the liver.

In literally several hundred animals I've seen shot, its the only time I've seen a bullet turn that much. I think its more common than people realize to have bullets veer off course some while going through bone, muscle, tendons, blood, etc. but usually not enough to realize.

I have seen many hundreds of rifle wounds to deer. I too agree with JLS.

There are no guarantees in bullet performance as the out come has a million variables. Dead is dead.

My guess is the big hole is entry and the others are schrapnel.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense... I had only ever used swift A-frames before I got these partitions so I'm not used to a bullet exploding like that.

Back