T/C compass rifles

MThuntr

I think this has been brought up several times but I'm looking for experience from the crew on T/C Compass rifles. Cabelas has them for $299 with a $50 rebate. A friend is looking for her first rifle and doesn't have much $ to spend. I've been pushing her towards Savage but saw the flyer so thought maybe that would be an option too. Reviews are promising.

I know a few people who bought them for a "truck gun" so to speak but they all claim really good accuracy out of them especially with handloads. If you look up "johnnys reloading bench" on YouTube he has one in 6.5 that he does a ton of testing with so that can give you an idea of potential accuracy. I wouldn't be afraid to jump on one for that price.

Thanks, I'll take a look at his channel. The reviews look great. I'm glad I put myself on a one in-one out system for rifles otherwise I'd buy one to fiddle around with.

Check out kentucky gun company, I deleted their email but I think they had them even cheaper.

I have a Compass in 300 Win Mag. Topped with a Nikon Monarch it shoots great. It has made the rounds with my sons, a buddy and me. So far that rifle has accounted for a half dozen tags filled. Everyone likes it just fine.

If you can't find Kentucky Gun Company, they have an ad on youtube for the Compass's right now. If I wasn't on a contract working out of country at the moment, I'd buy one. I've been kicking the idea around the last two years to buy a Compass and never have.

I actually watched their video last night and the others from Johnnys reloading bench. Looks like a solid beginner rifle and Kentucky Gun Store has a scope combo for a decent price...might have to get a second 6.5 Hipster or 7mm HuntTalk for loaner rifle.

Last edited:
My buddy bought one in 30-06 and just killed an antelope with it. We get consistent 1.5" groups with it. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy one if I was looking for a first rifle. It's been reliable and nobody would feel bad about a scratch or two on it. I believe he ordered it online somewhere as well. I think you could get it shipped with a Vortex scope on it for a little over $300 from one sight. And that's before T/C's rebate they were running.

The things aren't polished and perfectly finished. The bolt isn't smooth, the safety is clunky, the clip seems cheap, the entire rifle has the same finish as some paintball guns that I've owned. But the thing does shoot accurately and reliably.

I got one on this deal. Couldn’t pass it up for $250. I already got my rebate from S&W.

Like others have said, it’s an unrefined rifle. Should be decent and reliable. Good enough for a beginner or a backup or a truck gun. The actuon is sloppy and the bolt closes stiff. The threaded barrel leaves no shoulder so it’s essentially a useless gimmick. The trigger breaks clean but is heavy. I bought the aftermarket spring kit. It really dropped the weight but risks drop Safety. I couldn’t slam fire it but you can’t test it enough under all conditions to say it’s safe for sure.

I want to get it on the range. I’m sure I’ll be impressed for $250. But I’m already impressed how inexpensive these rifles are.

Maybe my brother just had bad luck. He bought one in 300 win mag last year. First round down the pipe loaded fine and shot just couldn't get the bolt to open after the shot. Finally got it open thought it was a fluke. Second shot same thing. Got a different bullet tried that same thing. Took it back to the store he bought it from and 8 weeks later they sent a new gun.

My wife won a Compass in a raffle. I went to pick it up and opted for a .308, then put an inexpensive Vortex Diamondback scope on it for $149. There's no doubt that it's an opening price point rifle. That said, the Compass has worked perfectly with zero issues whatsoever. No complaints here. Here's a pic of when i sighted it in two years ago. I've since shot better groups with it.
Compass.jpg

Edit: Not sure why pic rotated. Apologies

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back