Accubond mushroom

Dougfirtree

Well, the silver lining of power outages is that I sometimes find myself with leftover water jugs. So, I decided to test my current hunting load and see how it performed. I'm posting because, well, who doesn't like looking at a cool bullet mushroom and filing it away for future reference. This is a 140 grain, 7mm accubond, fired from a 7mm-08. Impact velocity is around 2700fps. The final weight of the bullet was 104.6, or almost exactly 75% weight retention. It was recovered in the 5th jug. Hard to beat a bullet that is so accurate, has such a high BC and balances the expansion/penetration dilemma so well. The next time I have a few jugs lying around, I'm going to load one down to 2300-2400 and see how that compares... Hope everyone's having a great time out there!
IMG_2281(1).JPG

Last edited:
it's so you can imagine the bullet in flight and at impact...

I am reworking loads for my 7mm-08 and the 140 E-tip...promising velocities from RL16 in the initial testing stages.

I'm going to play with that bullet this winter, I believe. I've never used RL 16, but good to know. I'll probably play with H 4895 and Big Game as well.

Keep us posted on the RL16. I started with it but ditched in favor of H4350 for better consistency. The RL16 shot almost 100fps faster but I would get random flyers I couldn’t explain. With the H4350 no flyers.

I have a box of 140grn Accubonds and a pound of Big Game I'm planning to experiment with in my 7-08 ONCE hunting is over for the year. I've done some good stuff with H4895 too but that's pretty unrefined at this point.

Nice to see a good mushroom from the bullet I'm using. I've only shot an antelope with it so far. It put him in the dirt fast but I didn't recover the bullet.

47 grains of Big Game with the 140 AB nets 2,890 FPS out of my 22.5” 7mm08. I’m still shooting up my factory 140 E-tips for now.

I am very happy with the results of accubonds on paper and on game with my 270wsm > 140grn and my 300winmag 180grn.

I've had good luck with accubonds, I find they are becoming my go to bullet for 90% of my loads because they shoot and perform so well. I load them for my 7x57, 30-06, and 9.3x62. I also like less bloodshot meat around the wound channel from the bonded bullets.

Accubonds work fantastic. This is from a 6' bear that was shot straight on in the chest at about 100'yards with 180Gr. It went through the entire chest cavity taking out lungs, heart and destroyed everything else, and we found the bullet against the hide on his rear quarter.

Accubond 2.jpg.
Accubond 1.jpg

I've been shooting them since they came out in the early 2000s. Great bullets IMO. The only thing that has me wanting something different is the lead/meat studies that keep coming out.

I've got a jar of ones I've recovered, they all look the same. I think I caught two this year, one from my 308 and one form my 280. The 280 was impressive... frontal shot on a mule deer buck, found it while cutting steaks off the hind quarter. Had a similar instance with an elk and 7mag, 3+ feet of penetration.

I've tinkered a bit with E-tips but haven't got the results I want yet.

You didn't state the distance to your jugs. The Accubonds are great bullets! I tested Accubonds, Partitions, and E-tips from 25-100-200-300-400-500 yards. They all penetrated and expanded just like I would expect them to and it was a lot of fun and great practice getting jugs lined up and bullets into them at 500 yards. I loved it! Don't load her down, just extend your range if you can shoot away. I lined up 7 each time just to make sure I would catch them down the line. I also would put a row of 1 gallon jugs on each side of the row I was shooting just in case one took a slight deter that it would be caught. It's satisfying to center punch the jugs at those distances on your first shots. Helps build confidence too!

David

I've only shot them for a few years, but the bullets I've caught have been beautiful mushrooms- no core separation, even after traveling through bones or at shorter ranges.

Just make sure to keep them under 3200 fps. I've been shooting the 140 grain Accubonds out of my 7mmRM at about 3250-3300 fps with relatively explosive results. There is such a thing as too fast!

The heck you say!! Lol

Ok, so i have 2 questions..
1) How far away were the jugs from you?
2) You said impact velocity, but did you mean muzzle velocity?
3) If it was muzzle, then what was impact velocity?

Ok, so it was 3 questions... Lol

Too bad you didn't have some pork ribs, or a shoulder suspended in the water.

Ballistics gel, water jugs, wet newspaper, clay, are all neat. But it's not living tissue.

The heck you say!! Lol

Ok, so i have 2 questions..
1) How far away were the jugs from you?
2) You said impact velocity, but did you mean muzzle velocity?
3) If it was muzzle, then what was impact velocity?

Ok, so it was 3 questions... Lol

Too bad you didn't have some pork ribs, or a shoulder suspended in the water.

Ballistics gel, water jugs, wet newspaper, clay, are all neat. But it's not living tissue.

Me and my hunting circle have killed a lot of living tissue. Accubonds work. mtmuley

I haven't used them a lot. I started loading the 200 gr Accubonds for my 30-06 Ackley for feral cattle. Generally it takes multiple rounds to bring down a big bull. I am finding with a high lung shot, the bulls drop. I shot 1 cow at 640 yards and she dropped too! I have never recovered the bullets, but, from the effects, the gotta be good!

I’ve been using them for years. My favorite bullet, hands down. Recovered an 8mm/200gr one from my bull elk this year. Looks good (like all the rest have).

Back