Caribou Gear

2018 Moose Trip

BearFoot

Phone Scope Moose.jpg
The big bull was on the move, the second bull much smaller, followed behind. Over the first couple of days, we spotted nearly two dozen bulls, most young or less than 50", but this guy was looking good. Two miles out, we could not confirm legality, and watched, as they moved into the trees. Another clear sunny September day was appearing. It rained most of August. The months traded places this year. As the day grew warmer, and the bugs woke to rejoice in our presence, we decided to chase that bull.
Hiking toward the big guys last known location, we hoped to call him out. It was a gorgeous beautiful blue sky day, with cackling ravens and a few caribou. Spent hours in that area.

Bou 2.jpgBou 3.jpg

Later in the day, Kyle spots a nice bull, briefly, a mile and one half behind us. We watched as he walked into a finger of spruce trees. The hike was on! Up and down ravines, brush filled creeks. Arriving "In the zone" we settled down and scraped, bull grunted roughly every 45 minutes. After three hours he presented himself. Showed little interest in our manly moose grunts, just feeding and occasionally looking our way. Brush being very thick, all we could make out are bits of antler. As we advanced slowly, he faded into the brush. Naturally we followed up, and found this guy had bedded down. Not knowing yet if he's a legal bull, we moved in slowly scraping, to pop him up. Turns out one lucky moose! We played and danced with this guy at 6-7 yards for several minutes.

Moose 1.jpgMoose 2.jpgKyle 2.jpg

Evening was coming and we arrived back at camp just after sundown. Shirts, underwear, socks, all soaked. One hot sweaty day! As we are putting on dry clothes, cracking beers open, I see a caribou running full out across a ridge below. Kyle scanned the area for a reason and found, a very large bull moose was moving straight toward our camp! Thinking the day was done and caught totally off guard, we scrambled in our crocs and flip flops to unpack and set up the scopes. It was getting dark, this bull was on the move. Across a beaver pond, he turns and stops broadside, 120 yards out. Looking through my scope in poor light, he was a shooter. As Kyle was setting up a shot, I held up a moose scapula to hold his attention. Instantly this moose rose up on two hind feet, rotated 90 degrees and bolted at full run down the hillside. We watched this bull run full speed over a half mile until gone. Looking at each other "what the hell just happened?" Appeared to be the bull we had first chased early in the day. Dark out now, and back to the previously cracked opened beer.

One morning while glassing, a young caribou hops up the hill next to us, then goes back down. Not unusual, but soon we hear faint "wooing" sounds. Kyle spots a wolf and we swing around to scope area. They were moving in and out of the brush on a hillside. I quickly went to camp to get my AR for opportunities like this. Alaska allows the taking of ten wolves per day. Getting as close as possible, they were across a ravine about 200 yards. Roughly a 15 wolf pack. They moved a lot, in and out of the brush. I had an arctic hare distress call and hoped to entice them closer. The pack went silent and faded into the brush. Soon we heard the "wooing" and moved quickly to that location. Kyle says "I see one". Scanning the area, I find two, one standing the other sitting. Kyle gets off the first shot and my guys bolt. I got two shots at a running wolf. More wolves were moving up the hill 500-600 yards up. We hiked down to verify whether we had one or not. What was found where two caribou kills. A cow and her calf. The calf we saw earlier, apparently while his mother was being shredded to bits. Eye sucked out, chin chewed, neck ripped open. Examining the calf closely, I was curious how it was killed. The only broke skin was on the ear. Clearly the throat was latched onto. Blood on the calf was likely from its mother, still wet on wolves teeth & jaws.

Wolf Kill 1.jpg

Wolf Kill 2.jpg

Searching carefully, looked like we missed our marks. The next day the wolves returned and left very little of the cow, just scattered fur. The calf was not touched for the remainder of our time there.

Days stayed warm, with clear skies. Moose were not moving around much. A group of ten guys rolled into our area on atv's. Their style was to drive around a lot. We packed up and moved on.

Critters seen along the trail. Ptarmagin, geese.

critters.jpg

After nearly getting blown off hill tops, two nights in a row, camp was moved again. Love a fresh setup.

camp.jpg

Bull.jpg

A large bull is working his way slowly up a distant hillside. Looks like the same guy we have been chasing the past few days. We hiked the last hour to close the gap, but he was still moving higher. It was later season and I let out a long cow call. He stopped and stood still for a good 15 minutes. He swung our direction and was coming down! As this bull entered the trees, he slowed down and appeared to be preparing to bed down. I let out a shorter cow moan. Instantly he continued his advance. As he broke out of the trees before us, a second bull was spotted coming in. I scraped brush and bull grunted, added a cow moan. Both bulls came into the open, looking our direction. Then they began a sparring match. Who's gonna get the girls.

Phone Scope Moose 2.jpg

duel.jpg

Moose 3.jpg

Loving the pictures, but man it's hard to wait for the next post! If you're not done before Christmas I'll come knock on your door when we drive past and get the rest of the story! ;)

Nice pics and story so far. Hope we get some pics of your rigs if you used them on this trip.

Hey, thanks for making me homesick even more. :) Nice pictures, Come Thursday we can start applying next years draw hunts. I am coming home for good just before the season starts next August. I might be flipping burgers for a living come next September, but I'll be back at home doing it.

Loving the pictures, but man it's hard to wait for the next post! If you're not done before Christmas I'll come knock on your door when we drive past and get the rest of the story! ;)

I,m waiting for a plane so will try to wrap it up.

This hunt did not happen in a day! Patience grasshopper

I,m waiting for a plane so will try to wrap it up.

This hunt did not happen in a day! Patience grasshopper

Fair enough! Still might have to swing by and shake your hand in a couple of months. Maybe get a first-hand look at those trucks you have!

Sitting in shade of a spruce tree, we patiently watched the show. Finally they break apart, giving Kyle a clean shot. Perfect! Low just a few inches behind the front shoulder. The bull jumped and moved about 25 yards, where Kyle put a second round, two inches from the first shot. Hooves up.

Moose.jpg

Moose hoist.jpg

Alaska Moose hoist.jpg

Moose Buggy loaded.jpg

Warm and very buggy this year. We called in another nice bull that came in when it was to dark to judge. Encountered more wolf, spotted three gizzly. Best of all, we camped, hunted all season. A lot of boot miles.

Very nice! You sure take some beautiful pictures. When you head out into the bush, how long are you out there?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back