Caribou Gear

Opportunistic vs "intent" wolf hunting

One heck of a post, JCS. Thanks for sharing a bit of insight into hunting wolves.

I've been out twice specifically for wolves, no elk, etc since the original post. Between the funny farm, hubby to-do list and work, that's the extent of wolf hunt opportunities I've had, unfortunately. I may need to bump my 3 year objective a bit if it keeps at this rate though I'll keep at it.
Didn't hear any both occasions though came across some scat and tracks... Week or more old. Off the bat it seems a challenge as they move around quite a bit each day. When hunting other wildlife they let me know they're there... Hunting them? Not a peep.

I'm liking this challenge.

Fire season must be over; hunting season has begun. The mantra of "log our way out of wildfires" has changed to "log our way out of excessive wolf proliferation".
And we need to punch in roads so we can run them over in our mini-van.

As the old saying goes......... "the harder I work, the luckier I get".

If you keep after it, you will have success.

Good hunting. JCS

FYI, for any interested, Dec 1st is the required wolf trapping certification course. It filled for the Missoula location. Still some open seats for the Kalispell one. https://register-ed.com/programs/montana/102-montana-wolf-trapping-certification-class Edit: Should add... "required" if you plan to trap wolves (or try... :) ) 2018+. No need to cert again if already completed - I think that includes a reciprocal agreement with Idaho, if you have an ID wolf trapping cert.

Just a rookie with the trapping so I don't have any answers - throwing this out there in the event anyone else is interested.

Last edited:
The trapping course was pretty informative though for sake of trapping, it's not very practical. The wolf biologist, who has extensive experience was very informative as well as the Warden who traps himself and the gent who, if I recall correctly, is a contract trapper.

The portion(s) that really bit with relation to Americans that seek to do their part with action versus simply share the frustrations regarding wolves:

1. Trapping begins Dec 15th. This alone makes snowmobiles a much needed necessity.
2. Must check traps every 48 hours.
3. The trapper himself admitted to trapping a total of seven wolves... as an experienced trapper.
4. No snares permitted for wolves.
To make clear:
1. I certainly understand the reasoning... to minimize bears from being trapped as they should be hibernating by that time and to reduce domestic dogs, etc from getting trapped.
2. I certainly understand the reasoning... for obvious reasons. mostly for the PR factor - to humanely put down a wolf.
3. Experienced trappers explaining the hard truth... trapping wolves is a highly skilled activity and the wolves intelligence continuously develops regarding identification and avoidance of traps, etc...
4. While I understand the reasoning behind no snares - seems Idaho is effective in the legal use of snares for wolf trapping. W/o snares that % to trap a wolf is dramatically reduced for a "part time - trapper".

The certification course was a great experience though not something a 40+ hour working person would be able to maintain solo. For those not making a living trapping, this really requires multiple side job trappers to work together as the 48 hours are able to be combined, so long as each person has their tags on the same traps. This is a requirement for dispatching a wolf in a trap. It's not required to have other trappers tags if only to comply with 48 hour inspection however, w/o a trapper's tag included, they would have to contact the trapper(s) whose tags are present to dispatch the wolf. It's illegal to dispatch a wolf if you are not tagged on the trap, common sense.

The trapper explained, it took him roughly 72 days to trap his last wolf along the same trap line - checking every 24 hours (He suggests 24 hours). He said a snowmobile is essential and time to check traps, set traps - reset traps, release others caught in traps, etc is very time consuming and pretty much a full time job in itself, if done effectively.

In the end, trapping is out for myself. It is not practical based on time available. For others, I wish them the best, as would be obvious. Regardless whether or not trapping is for a person or not, the course was well worth it's time in learning about wolves - from a starter's standpoint. I plan to hunt these %$#*&$'s and will keep with my original objective of 3 years - say, January of 2022 to tag a wolf. The key area of interest, frozen lakes where elk, deer, moose, etc sign is present. NW MT is too thick versus SW MT. This is based on the professionals shared experience at the trapping certification. My .270 is dialed in and ready to play ball. I may look into a used snowmobile to reach a few of the locations shared.

This sounds like an enjoyable experience and as TR shared, "Complaining about a problem without proposing a solution is called whining".

Cheers all. I appreciate the PM's, etc. Thanks for your information - I'll post as events transpire.

Last edited:
I took the course a few years ago. Learned a lot about wolf behavior. The guy that taught our class was a USFWS trapper/hunter from Idaho. He had some interesting stories dating all the way back to the first wolves re-introduced to Yellowstone. mtmuley

Sytes, In regards to the snaring of wolves, by-catch is a major problem. There is no releasing of moutain lions snared over bait piles. My guess is that if Idaho is keeping count of by-catch it isn't being reported.

Sytes, In regards to the snaring of wolves, by-catch is a major problem. There is no releasing of moutain lions snared over bait piles. My guess is that if Idaho is keeping count of by-catch it isn't being reported.

I understand snares are relative to catching lions as their shoulder height is relative to wolves. Would be a good way to assist regulating lions, instead depending on hounds and opportunistic lion kills... Though I know very little about lions other than direct experience while hunting elk/deer and those occasions are few.

I would support a time frame as shared below to check snares if snares were permitted. This would be a manageable opportunity with "part-time" trappers...

Anyone know how this panned out for Idaho?

F&G seeks comments on proposal to extend check times for winter wolf snaring in two units

The proposed rule would extend the time period by which any person must visit every snare placed for gray wolves to not exceed 192 hours (8 days) for that portion of Game Management Unit 7 including and upstream from the Gold Creek and Mosquito Creek drainages, and in Game Management Unit 9.

If approved, the proposed rule would only apply between Jan. 1 and Feb. 15. Snares are set with the intention of being quickly lethal to a captured wolf. The proposed rule would not apply to foothold traps.
Edit added: https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/fg-see...end-check-times-winter-wolf-snaring-two-units

Last edited:
Lions numbers are relatively easy to control with hounds. Opportunistic kills are negligible in affecting population.

Seems, at least according to this Field & Stream article, houndsmen are holding back. Withdrawing from activity due to hounds killed by packs of wolves...
Speaking of hounds, lions and wolves.

Henderson and Morris walked down toward the treed lion. When they'd closed about half the distance, they saw seven wolves--five black and two grey--rush the tree from the west. Sadie was so intent on the treed cougar that she never noticed the wolves until one charged in, grabbed her by the neck and shook her for about five seconds.

Hunt said he, too, hears houndsmen talking about quitting rather than putting their dogs at risk. He thinks wildlife agencies in Idaho, Montana and other states inhabited by wolves should at least acknowledge the problem, document it and play a proactive part in seeking ways to minimize contact between hounds and wolves.

Really interesting article. W/o houndsmen hunting lions, lions will increase their elk take, least that is RMEF'S take on the Bitterroot area.

Reference: https://www.fieldandstream.com/blog...-lion-hounds-attacks-rising-montana-and-idaho

Yeah, those wolves are sneaky buggers. If the wolves have left any elk for a hunter to gut, a fellow would sure want to keep a close eye out for safety sake.

Most houndsmen have not quit hunting because of wolves. They are just a lot more careful about where they turn out and will refrain from chasing cats in an area with fresh wolf tracks. An area with fresh wolf sign today might not be revisted by those wolves for a week or more. It's not like they live in just one drainage.

My guess is that those guys chasing cats kill as many or more wolves on average as a guy that only hunts wolves in the wintertime. If you think about your last sentence, it would be a good idea for duck hunters and grouse hunters to shoot a couple of birds and then go kill wolves instead of playing chase the ducky all season.

I can't speak for all areas, but our lion kill has been steady and rising for the past ten or more years with quotas being increased instead of lowered. Comparing lion and wolf management is not even an apples to orange comparison in terms of controlling populations. Here in the NW deer and elk have always had a high number of lions and their populations remained stable.

Wolf numbers are much harder to control as it is tenfold more difficult to kill a wolf than a lion.

Last time snares were brought up for wolves the houndsmen fought it big time. Not only because they feared lions getting caught in snares but they also said they thought their hounds would get caught in wolf snares while chasing a cat. Not sure if its ever happened but that was one of their points to FWP.

I'd like to see a wolf tag added to deer/elk combo licenses. That would up the opportunistic harvest a bit. I thought about getting a tag this year, but had to draw the line somewhere. Wolf, bear, cougar, turkey... Didn't see any of 'em, so it didn't matter this time.

I'd like to see a wolf tag added to deer/elk combo licenses. That would up the opportunistic harvest a bit. I thought about getting a tag this year, but had to draw the line somewhere. Wolf, bear, cougar, turkey... Didn't see any of 'em, so it didn't matter this time.

I am with you 100% a Wolf tag should be included in a Big Game License for free.

I personally feel not many wolfs would be taken but it would help.

When hunting Idaho up by Salmon ID I cut fresh Wolf tracks every day but never saw one.

Want a interesting view on Predators take a Look at Les Johnson on his video on Predator Quest and what he experienced in Wyoming.

Gives a good explanation why Mule Deer are in trouble throughout the West as well as Antelope.

MT raised $380k from wolf license sales. I would support it as part of a package if it maintained that necessary funding. If they studied this from an increase of wolf tag sales by reducing the tag(s) price if incorporated into combo big game sales, all for it.

Edit to avoid additional post:
Had planned to sit on a frozen lake I scouted earlier... Wife reminded me we had a symphony to attend. Yay! (Actually, an enjoyable symphony... Though thought I'd be hunting woofs!)

IMG_20181216_145921.jpg

Last edited:
A great refresher and figure with the recent Wolf 60 minute show - for those interested with Randy and Matt's take on wolves - well, cheers all.

[video=youtube_share;NblwZ6RKjoY]https://youtu.be/NblwZ6RKjoY[/video]

Part II

[video=youtube_share;gfDG9EvNXq4]https://youtu.be/gfDG9EvNXq4[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back