.243 85gr TSX & .223 55-62gr TSX

WoodsQuest

I have a 20in barrel .243 and I want to start reloading for it. I’m moving to all copper bullets and I’m not sure what kinds of load data I should look at. I put some Federal Power Shok copper over a chrono and was averaging 2820fps, which is a loss of 95fps per inch of barrel. I really like the foot print of this rifle, but I’m not sure of a few things.

1) Will I be able to push the velocity of an 85gr Barnes close to 3000fps with a 20in barrel? If so, which powders should I start working with? I’ve read about RL15 I think and few others that some people were claiming to load to 3100fps from a 20in barrel.

2) I have an 18in 5.56mm that will spit 55gr bullets out at almost 3100fps. I’ve never shot an animal with a 55gr or 85gr TSX, but my suspicion is that 23-30grs of bullet weight and .5mm larger diameter won’t have much of a terminal performance difference if they’re both moving at about the same speed. I’m hunting in areas that don’t offer much over 300yds of shooting distance, most less than 150.

I’m a whitetail deer hunter. I may dabble in coyote hunting as well, but this is mostly for deer. If these two projectiles will provide similar terminal performance I was thinking about having the rifle rebarreled to .308 and working up some 130gr TTSX loads for deer hunting and 165gr TTSX loads for bigger critters. I know I could buy another rifle for the cost of rebarreling but then I have an extra set of glass to buy and I’m not made of money. Looking for some opinions and any experiences anyone has with either reloading a .243 or the performance of these projectiles. Thanks.

I load the 85 grain Barnes in my .243. I haven’t shot it over the chrono, so I can’t speak to velocity other than its fast. Based on drops I’d put it around 3100 from a 22” barrel. I have used IMR4350 and am currently using SuperPerformance.

The 5.56 will be pretty lethal on whitetail deer. Be mindful of your shots.

Everybody I know that shoots Barnes bullets in a .243 uses the 80 grain TTSX. Seems to be a bad little dude.

Fwiw, Barnes recommends Superformance powder for the 80 and 85 grain loads.

RL16 and RL26 might be worth a try, as well.

Last edited:
I use magnum primers, it made a significant difference in accuracy.

80gr TTSX and superformance is a good combo. Hybrid 100v is another good choice. IMR4955 seems like an interesting powder to try also.

Is there a large terminal performance difference between the 55/62gr TTSX and the 80gr TTSX? Would I be better off putting a .308 barrel on this rifle so I’m not basically duplicating capabilities with two separate rifles?

Well, dead is dead. All 3 of the cartridges that you've mentioned will kill deer. I don't know if you or the deer will know the difference.
You just have to decide which one you want more.

I have used 85 TSX out of a 20" 243 and killed deer. I use Ramshot Hunter and get over 3000 fps. I have also used H4350 with good results. The 223 with ttsx bullets will kill deer just as dead. As to barreling to 308 a good barrel is 300$ and another 300 to put it on. You can buy a 308 and scope for that just a thought.

I can get it made and installed for just under $350. An ER Shaw, so nothing match grade, but definitely well made enough for hunting purposes.

My daughter and I have shot 5 deer with 62 gr TTSXs in a 223. They have all been one shot kills, the bullets all exited, and there was significant internal damage. Two of the deer dropped in their tracks - one a neck shot so that was expected but the other was a heart/lung shot right behind the shoulder so that was not really expected. The farthest was just over 100 yards. I would probably stretch it out to 150 yards but it is a small bullet and it loses its oomph quickly so I would personally feel better keeping my shots with it to 100 yards and under.

Another option is to have the barrel you own rebored. I had my .270 win. rebored to 338-06 by JES Reboring. I am not sure if they can rebore to .308 but it would be worth a call. They did a great job on my barrel and the gun shoots sub moa with several bullets. It will cost you less than $250 to get the barrel rebored.

Last edited:
What brand of rifle is the 243?
I’d suggest sticking to the 243 but if you’re going to rebarrel the 260,7-08 are great choices also.

Might try the 90gr. Nosler E-tip in the 243 also. Great little bullet. My son has killed deer, antelope, and his first cow elk with that bullet. His cow as 350 yards. One shot tight behind her right shoulder and the bullet went through the middle of her left shoulder and exited! The cow made it 20 yards and tipped over! He was using a 6mm Remington Ruger MKII with the 22" barrel and H100V powder. If I recall the FPS is about 3150.

I shoot the 85 and have had good luck with the superformance powder. I also have had good patterns with imr4451, I might switch to that after I play with it a little more.

It’s a Ruger Hawkeye. I forgot about the E-Tip. If I can get 3000fps from this rifle I’ll probably stick with it. Thanks for the recipie input! Keep it coming!

Load the 80gr TTSX over Superformance, hybrid 100V or hunter and you will easily get 3200. Might not be your accuracy node but that’s why I like to try a few powders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back