Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

.243 85gr TSX & .223 55-62gr TSX

I use the 80gr. TTSX from Barnes over Superformance powder and getting 3200fps. from a 22" tube. I'm nowhere near max load either. I've had good look with H4350 as well.

Another option is to have the barrel you own rebored. I had my .270 win. rebored to 338-06 by JES Reboring. I am not sure if they can rebore to .308 but it would be worth a call. They did a great job on my barrel and the gun shoots sub moa with several bullets. It will cost you less than $250 to get the barrel rebored.
I talked to him last year and he told me he could rebore to a .338Fed. I’m not sure I want to do that because the barrel is so skinny and every other reboring place wanted more thickness at the muzzle to prevent the barrel from being too thin.

I talked to him last year and he told me he could rebore to a .338Fed. I’m not sure I want to do that because the barrel is so skinny and every other reboring place wanted more thickness at the muzzle to prevent the barrel from being too thin.

My .270 was a Smith and Wesson, which is the same barreled action as the Howa 1500 and is a pretty stout barrel. If you measure your muzzle thickness and give him your findings he will be able to tell you if it is doable. Jesse is a great guy and knows his stuff. I would trust his judgement on whether it would be a good idea or not. The 338 Federal would be fine for deer and a good elk caliber at reasonable distances with Barnes 185 grain TTSX or Nosler E-tip.

I shot an antelope at 254yd with the 62ttsx out of my AR. He was drt. the shot was quartering and the penetration was impressive.

I load the 80gr TTSX for my friends 243 and the 62gr TTSX for my 223 and 22-250. They all kill deer very well.

I have a 243 that the kids have been killing deer with using 85grn nosler partitions.

My experience with the 62gr TSX from an 5.56 AR was minimal blood trail on a deer that fell just out of sight. My daughter shot it quartering to, through the onside shoulder and out just behind the offside shoulder (textbook perfect) at about 30yd. Small exit wound and sparse blood trail. Little shock value, as well.

I’m told that the 55gr TSX behaves better due to the higher velocities, which are needed for monos, and give much better blood trails.

My best 5.56 performance came from 65gr SGKs, which Sierra designed for deer sized game.

I’ve had good luck with the 85gr TSX in my .243 Win. I have a warm load of IMR4064 and seated to mag length. Been a very accurate load for me and has done well for half-dozen or so deer and one pronghorn. My wife has been using it with good luck this year. Hit the pronghorn just over 200 yards with a good exit, and she went about 20ft and fell over from the heart-shot. Then she shot a whitetail doe a bit high and tight behind the shoulder on a slightly quartering-to shot. Shot missed the shoulder and exited through the last ribs on the opposite side. Expanded well but didn’t bleed that great due to how high she hit it. Chest cavity just didn’t have time to fill up I guess. Shot was at 80 yards and the doe went maybe another 80 yards and was done. I have been impressed with this rifle/load combination.

I have been wanting to try the 80gr TTSX though and might be the bullet I try first out of my wife’s 6mm when we get it all set up. It’s nice to hear everyone’s experience with both of these bullets for the .24’s!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back