Smoker vs Dehydrator

rustneversleeps

What does everyone prefer for jerky? I have a pellet smoker (Green Mountain) and also a dehydrator. Was planning on making a small batch in each and doing a side-by-side test, but wanted to know what everyone else preferred? Im leaning toward my Green Mountain...

Dehydrator is easier. Smoker tends to have more pliable jerky and more smoke taste. Both are good. I do whatever the mood suits me.

I have used a dehydrator for ever. I got a pellet grill a year ago. Last time I made jerky I didn't have enough space in the dehydrator so I put the rest on the Jerky. It was substantially better for sure.

I cold smoke mine for an hour and then finish in dehydrator at 160 for 5 hours. Fantastic.

I like the smoker, to me it seemed the jerky from the dehydrator was saltier, while the smoker tamed some of the saltiness.

I have used both and vastly prefer the smoker. Much better flavor and I can fit a lot more volume into my smoker. Also, with my smoker, I can get the internal temp of the meat to the right point, then turn it down. With the dehydrator, I had to first get the meat up to temp in the oven, then transfer to the dehydrator (total PITA). The only issue I run into with the smoker is it doesn't totally dry the meat, which for me, gives it a better texture, but I end up having to put that jerky into the freezer for keeping, and then I put it in the fridge if I am going to take a few days to eat a batch. Otherwise it will mold. Dehydrator ends up with something a bit more shelf-stable, if that matters to you.

I use my green mountain, a dehydrator and oven as i usually make large batches. i like the smokiness but all 3 methods produce incredible results. Have fun.

Definitely prefer it out of the smoker better taste and not as hard. I would think using the dehydrator instead of the smoke may help preserve the meat longer but it never last long enough for that to be a problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back