Yeti GOBOX Collection

Custer Gallatin help

brenth72

I'll be hunting the Custer here in the next 2 weeks and wanted any info/tips when it comes to mule deer. We'll be camping on the Custer south of Broadus that way we don't burn time driving every morning/night.

I would look towards the rough stuff but sometimes they can also be in the non rough stuff so look there too! Also, look towards the alfalfa fields but then also look towards the non alfalfa fields. Sometimes they can be on public land but then also look towards private land. They like to drink water so make sure you look towards water as well.

I would look towards the rough stuff but sometimes they can also be in the non rough stuff so look there too! Also, look towards the alfalfa fields but then also look towards the non alfalfa fields. Sometimes they can be on public land but then also look towards private land. They like to drink water so make sure you look towards water as well.

Solid advice right there! Lots of truth in it.

X-2 But don't forget to look where you don't think they would be.

The only way to kill a big buck is to drive the roads with everyone else. Walking into areas is pointless.��

The best advice is to search this forum. Type in Custer Forest, Region 7 and Ashland Mt and you should come up with a few days of reading material.

Last edited:
Iv'e heard rumors......

Starbucks drive through at Diamond Butte.
New microbrewery in Otter.
Quietus Loop becoming a strip mall.

Best advice I can give you: Tell us about yourself, maybe a picture or two, offer some help to fellow members and then, only then, ask and expect help. How'd I do Cush?

I'll be hunting the Custer here in the next 2 weeks and wanted any info/tips when it comes to mule deer. We'll be camping on the Custer south of Broadus that way we don't burn time driving every morning/night.

Good luck little buddy. Post some pics and hopefully you shoot something older then 3. Then when you return next year to our fine state don't be one of those nr res guys I saw last week with 21 people in their camp. Then down there road another camp (of nr people) with 14. With deer stacked for days. We don't have a issue though there's plenty of spikes and 3pts to go around. Oh yeah bring bear spray too lots of bear in there.

Last edited:
Camping south of Broadus. Going to put you close to that cup of Cappuccino at Diamond Butte.
And make sure that you wear blaze orange from head to toe. This year with all the doe and cow tags the goal seems to be to turn the Custer into a Pumpkin that can be seen from space.

Thanks for the "advise".

No problem. �� You got some great advice if you know how to read it. You’ll be camping at the Moorehead campground with several other around you and lots of people driving down from Broadus. Most are going to be cruising the roads dreaming of 180” 4x4’s and shooting 2 1/2 year old three points after two days. If want the best spot around hike up above camp a half mile and sit beside that dead juniper that overlooks the three acre meadow. You should be able to choose between the 165” drop tine buck that comes through at three pm or wait for the clean 174” 4 point that shows up @ 5:15. Don’t tell anyone else about the secret spot I call the killing meadow. Post pics when you get your buck.

No problem. �� You got some great advice if you know how to read it. You’ll be camping at the Moorehead campground with several other around you and lots of people driving down from Broadus. Most are going to be cruising the roads dreaming of 180” 4x4’s and shooting 2 1/2 year old three points after two days. If want the best spot around hike up above camp a half mile and sit beside that dead juniper that overlooks the three acre meadow. You should be able to choose between the 165” drop tine buck that comes through at three pm or wait for the clean 174” 4 point that shows up @ 5:15. Don’t tell anyone else about the secret spot I call the killing meadow. Post pics when you get your buck.

I thought we weren't talking about the killing meadow? That was our little secret.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back