Bison Calber

Bowhunter60

I've got a Winter Bison tag for Northern Arizona. I am looking to use my .300 WinMag with 180g TTSX or 165g Nosler Accubonds. Does this sound like a reasonable caliber and bullet choice for Bison? Do I need to go bigger, say a 200g bullet?

Thoughts from the group would be appreciated.

Personally I wouldn't go lower than 180gr. Bison are massive animals. I've seen bison here in Jackson that are as big as my lady's Subaru.

I shot a cow bison last year with my 300RUM with 180 gr Barnes TTSX and worked great. I lucked out and drew a West Yellowstone either sex bison tag this year in MT and will use the same setup again.

You don't need to go bigger but you really need to study the anatomy of Buffalo. It is different than deer or elk. Use what you and your gun are most comfortable with. Put it in the right spot you will be fine. Also study the hair on Buffalo. A big shaggy hide can hang down several inches of the actual body itself throwing you off. Even if your 1st shot looks perfect keep shooting until he is down. They are very tough and can take a bullet like nothing else. Best of luck

You'll be good. I'd use the Barnes to get through all that hide and muscle. A friend of mine killed one with a 7mm mag with a barnes bullet. I think it was 140 grain. I'm pretty sure he shot a cow.

I’d use the 180 grain load. I don’t see any reason to use a 165 over a 180 for bison.

Your weapon is more than adequate....

What will be more important than a few grains or fps is your shot placement.

Many will shoot too far back or too high.

The spine runs surprisingly low, and the diaphragm is remarkably forward when compared to our other ungulates.

From a true broadside, Tight and right above the elbow... hit the heart and watch him twitch like lighting struck.

Then open it up quickly. That huge stomach will bloat so fast....

I'd worry more about where the vitals are located than the caliber. I would think some google searching should show where the heart and lungs are located on the bison.

I have been along for 6 buffalo hunts now.. they are extremely strong animals, and with their huge lung capacity they can take a fair amount of lead before they die. We have shot them with a .300 WSM and 45-70. I have seen them die instantly with a single shot to the neck (dumb luck), and I have also killed my own which required 7-8 rounds through the lungs with the 300 WSM. This is my theory... you need to pray you hit bone as you enter their lungs, you need as big of an entrance and exit as possible. A "cleaner" lung shot will quickly be sealed by their fat and their lungs won't collapse. Just my theory after watching how our hunts went, some died quick, others died very slow.

Best advice, shoot straight and keep shooting.

I'll echo shot placement and going through their anatomy, either bullet will work. I would go with the TTSX as well. I have only taken 1 bison and used a 210 gr TTSX out of a .338 WM. First shot was perfect broadside, mid-lung and got hardly any reaction. I thought the bison was going to drop, but after waiting a minute or so I put 1 more into it and held tight to the heart.

First shot was a pass through. Second lodged in the off-shoulder. Bullet performance was excellent. I am sure the first shot was fatal, I just didn't want it to go anywhere.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back