Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Son's first deer

• Thread starter Deleted member 18333
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18333

School, sports and other tags equaled not much time for deer. But after a positive parent teacher conference and ending the football season a perfect 8 and 0 I thought the boy earned a couple days out of school. We left the day after his last game and hunted a unit I had not been to before but friends had and they gave me a few solid locations to start. We hunted the last evening of the general season. Monday and Tuesday would be a youth only hunt. That evening we saw a lot of deer and a lot of hunters. All bucks spotted were spikes and forkys, of which he wanted no part. Monday morning we spotted a very good buck shortly after leaving camp. However, a few does and fawns that we jumped alerted the buck before we could get into position for the shot. Before heading back to camp for lunch we checked one more canyon. About 10 minutes into glassing we found a good buck that he wanted to try for. He looked like he had a limp but was still climbing just fine. We watched him go up the opposite side of the canyon hoping he would bed on top. He did not. We worked our way over to the other side but could not turn him up on top or on the other side of the canyon. We did see a group of does and fawns busting out in the next canyon so we worked over to that one. From the next ridge we were able to glass him up again. He finally bedded which allowed us to work to a finger ridge that put us 250 yds from the buck. One shot and the boy had his first deer. The buck never got up from his bed. He was shooting the 7mm-08 I got from my BHA membership.
IMG_1924.jpgIMG_1925.jpg

The buck was limping from a prior shot to its left front leg. He had been hit in the elbow joint. It didn't break any bones but tore the skin, muscle and tendons all to hell. you can see the dried blood on his lower leg. I suspect it happened a few days earlier and was starting to turn punky. After getting back to the truck we got visited by G&F warden. She had dispatched another buck that had been called in earlier that day. This one had been hit in the leg as well and had a bullet through the brisket. She was able to salvage the hind quarters and one front shoulder for a needy family.

The boys first year of hunting has resulted in antelope and mule deer bucks. It took me longer than I care to admit to get those two under my belt. He gets better grades than I did and is a better football player than I. So either his mother and I are doing a good job or he gets it all from her. Either way we are now on to elk.

Congrats to both of you!

That buck reminds me of my first whitetail at age 15. Mine had also been shot in the same leg in the same spot, and we lost a portion of meat on that leg due to infection.

Good luck on the elk..

Sounds like a great family adventure, thanks for sharing.

Oh and I will vouch that he must get all of his talents from his mother :)

Great kids usually come from great parents, nice work gang!! and a beauty of a buck!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back