Caribou Gear

Supplements? Worth it or not?

Don't go here for health and wellness advice. None of the post so far are from educated people in the field of supplements. It is a evidence-based fact that supplements are effective. Now which ones and what desired effect you personally seeking is the hard question.

I highly agree with fwagner. I have used them in the past, as a college athlete and can say that some work very well. That being said, there is a strong thought in the fitness industry that you should worry about calorie consumption, macronutrients, micronutrients and then supplements in that order. I'm not an expert but have spent a fair amount trying to educate my self. Long story short, if you arent to the point that you are regularely tracking your macros and adjustiing what you eat accordingly then I would start there.

^^^^^ Best response so far. If you want to perform at your best, it requires a very conscientious effort to put the best things in your body. The improvements in athlete performance over time don't just happen by chance. Most supplements are not a magical pill that will do the work for you. Rather, they assist your efforts so you can work harder, such as opening up blood vessels for more efficient oxygen movement or helping heal muscles so you can work out more often. I personally take a few supplements and they have helped me (I workout aprox. 2.5 hours per day), but I do take a "fast" from them every few months to reset my body.

I think the answer is in the name. They can supplement your efforts in achieving a goal; which is going to came primarily through hard work and discipline. Too many people read supplement, and hear shortcut....

As for the hunting specific brands, they are just overpriced versions of what you can find much cheaper and of better quality through fitness focus suppliers.

I personally haven't tried any of the Mtn Ops stuff, but have dabbled in supplements through my college football life. Supplements make it a little bit easier to have a high calorie and protein diet than just eating plain foods. I do know that they'll help a bit with muscle growth and slightly with recovery. That being said, you probably don't need to use these things if you're just going on a hunting trip. I personally will bring a bit of high calorie protein powder (muscle milk) along with me in order to boost my calorie intake for very little weight in my pack, but this all can be done with bringing nuts/gummy bears/candy bars (I've never done a full backpack hunt, just regular long backpack camping trips).

If you're a weight lifter that doesn't have time to make protein rich meals (you're a hunter... so you should be), then it may be worth trying something. If you're not, then don't buy it. If you're a body builder or strength trainer that's counting calories and trying to get swoll, jacked and tan, this probably isn't the best place to ask your questions.

One thing that may be worth it is their energy drink stuff. If you don't want to mess with coffee then that powdery stuff can be a pretty good waker-upper in the morning. Again, haven't tried that brand, but have tried others.

Last edited:
For the last 10 years I have been using the Wilderness Athlete Multi-Vitamins, Hydrate & Recover, and Altitude Advantage Pills. I have to say that they really have helped me on my Hunt at elevation (Chama, NM). Before I started using them, I just drank a lot of water, but the altitude and grueling walks on my Elk hunts at elevation really took their toll.
Since I have been taking the supplements, I seem to tolerate the high altitude better, catch my breath quicker, and nighttime recovery is great so I don't fight to get my butt out of the bed for the morning hunt. Might be just a placebo effect, but this will be my 30th year heading to Chama. Obviously we are all getting older and older (I turn 66 in July), and it is harder and harder to keep up with the guide, but I seriously think the supplements make the difference for me. YMMV

Last edited:
I know quite a few tough, badass hunters. None of them use the supplements. mtmuley

I see nothing wrong with taking certain supplements to help get in shape in the off season. Just don't take some pills at the truck before your hunt and expect a big difference on the trail.

Unless it's meth. With meth you would be able out hike any guide. Plus your pack would be crazy light. No need for food, you won't have teeth. And forget a tent and sleeping bag, meth heads don't sleep.

H
For the last 10 years I have been using the Wilderness Athlete Multi-Vitamins, Hydrate & Recover, and Altitude Advantage Pills. I have to say that they really have helped me on my Hunt at elevation (Chama, NM). Before I started using them, I just drank a lot of water, but the altitude and grueling walks on my Elk hunts at elevation really took their toll.
Since I have been taking the supplements, I seem to tolerate the high altitude better, catch my breath quicker, and nighttime recovery is great so I don't fight to get my butt out of the bed for the morning hunt. Might be just a placebo effect, but this will be my 30th year heading to Chama. Obviously we are all getting older and older (I turn 66 in July), and it is harder and harder to keep up with the guide, but I seriously think the supplements make the difference for me. YMMV

Not trying to say anything other than what I’m saying here. Do you really think it’s the supplements or have you kept better tabs on how in shape you are? I find that if I’m in great cardio shape altitude doesn’t affect me much at all.

I wouldnt take advise from hunters on a forum. Especially not about nutrition or finances.
Talk with a nutritionist, Dr or personal trainer.

H

Not trying to say anything other than what I’m saying here. Do you really think it’s the supplements or have you kept better tabs on how in shape you are? I find that if I’m in great cardio shape altitude doesn’t affect me much at all.

As stated, could even be a placebo effect. I try to get in shape every year, and usually hit my target weight of around 200 (I'm 6'0 tall), and do some cardio. Living at sea level, the altitude certainly kicks butt for the first couple of days. One of the reasons I get up there a week early, is to try to acclimate. Could be a combination of several things. My opinion only, and your YMMV. I will continue to take them.

As stated, could even be a placebo effect. I try to get in shape every year, and usually hit my target weight of around 200 (I'm 6'0 tall), and do some cardio. Living at sea level, the altitude certainly kicks butt for the first couple of days. One of the reasons I get up there a week early, is to try to acclimate. Could be a combination of several things. My opinion only, and your YMMV. I will continue to take them.

Definitely fair enough. I think if used correctly, the stuff can definitely help. But if someone thinks they're going to be able to be in mediocre shape and hit the mountains with some supplements, they're in for a world of hurt.

The only supplements I take are a Centrum Silver and a couple of fish oil capsules per day under the advice of my doctor. Been doing that for several years and my blood work has been coming out perfect every year.

I'm a big fan of the blue diamond. Gets me pumped up to lay the wood to a hog. Just be careful if you're sharing a tent or herding sheep.

Back