Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Supplements? Worth it or not?

Chuckchapman1

I have been listening to and seeing tons of commercials and podcasts about all these pills, drinks powders etc what I am curious about is it worth the investment. Does it actually help with hunting performance or is it just hard on the system. I see Randy Newberg just about keel over on tough hunts and is it a side effect from years of supplements or freeze dried foods?

I'll let BigFin speak for himself but I believe his liver condition plays hell on him on tough hunts.

Long story short most of that stuff you see is just a way to separate you from your money.

EDIT: I fell for the Mtn Ops Weight Loss Challenge thing a few years ago. They had just formed as a company and the prices seemed reasonable. The end result was I took a bunch of pills and drank some sort of shake and after 60 days lost 15 pounds or something like that. Most of that was a result of actually doing some physical activity and cutting calories. Had I just done that I think the expensive blaze orange pills would have been moot.

I've lost 115 pounds in the last 18 months with the eating healthy and staying active strategy and the only supplement I've taken was some protein to supplement a weightlifting program. I don't even take that anymore.

Last edited:
Personally if you are eating a balanced diet then often supplements are just creating expensive pee. That being said replenishing electrolytes when you are working hard is important, but honestly most you are likely getting everything you need from what you are already eating. Ultra-marathoners and endro-riders will often take salt pills but generally that is only necessary if you are working really hard, in the heat, for extend periods of time. Personally I have never used any supplements and never will.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2010476/truth-about-endurance-athletes-and-salt

Randy has a chronic liver condition that has nothing to do with supplements of freeze dried foods.

Also I 100% agree with Mthuntr... if you are a guy that doesn't want to work and just wants to hunt all the time convincing a bunch of rednecks they need "the secret stuff" is a great way to finance your lifestyle. #firebull #mountainathlete #keepgrinding #givemeaf-ingbreak

secretstuff.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think they really help, but I sure don't think they hurt anything.

If you have a poor diet they probably do help, but 99% of the time you get everything you need from the food you eat.

I just ran a 31 mile trail race Saturday and I drank gatorade, water, ate a few m&m's, grapes and some mini-pretzels. I was sucking pretty hard at the end but I don't think it was because I didn't suck down some high priced supplements.

My 2 cents.

I'm a back to basics guy... no supplements at all.

Wild meat, fish, berries, fowl, big garden now too and plenty of wild mushrooms. I figure we didn't evolve eating processed and marketed crapola. Give me something REAL.

At the end of a hard day, I’ll dump a packet of Emergen-C electro mix into my bottle of water. I feel like it helps keep the calf cramps at bay. They are cheap and I don’t get tired of the taste. I’m so sick of the marketing of most of the supplements that I wouldn’t be seen drinking it for free.

I don't buy the pills and shakes, but I'm a huge believer in the Wilderness Athlete Superman.

I'll also throw in an Emergen-C packet if it's been extra tough.

I'm a big fan of whey protein, but that's about it. That's really just to make sure I get enough protein in every day which can be hard from eating clean. I weigh 190 so 190 grams of protein is a lot to eat. Getting 25g from a shake takes the pressure off eating so much food.

Last edited:
Don't go here for health and wellness advice. None of the post so far are from educated people in the field of supplements. It is a evidence based fact that supplements are effective. Now which ones and what desired effect you personally seeking is the hard question.

It depends on which ones you take & what you're taking them for. I take Vit D (work midnights) and a joint complex (too much running in poor quality footwear (boots)). I can tell in less than a week if I run out of the joint complex. Shooting pains in my hips whenever I don't turn just exactly right!.

So, YES....They can help, but it needs to be issue specific.

Don't go here for health and wellness advice. None of the post so far are from educated people in the field of supplements.

^ Best response, he's right talk to your doctor or someone extremely knowledgeable about the field.

Supplements can help given you are taking the right ones for your specific needs. I agree that many are just marketing and gimmicks but there are some that do contain helpful products to rehydrate and replenish your body. Advocare is a very good supplement company.

Gunner- what joint complex do you take?

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back