Family Trip? 2019

huntinsonovagun

Hey guys, new poster; long time snooper here. I’ve been wanting to do a pronghorn hunt in WY for some time now and finally said enough is enough, I’m planning this thing.

My wife LOVES to travel and has grown to love the outdoors. I meantioned this trip to her and she said “let’s make a family trip out of it!” On the inside, I’m super excited about tat thought. The kicker is, we have 3 small kids. In a year from now, their ages will be 4, 2, and 1.

I had thought about pullling a trailer out and dropping it. I am very concerned about leaving my family in the “wilderness” of Wyoming while I drive my truck off to hunt for who knows how many days, popping in and out. I would prefer to park the truck and trailer and basically hunt from camp. Is that a dumb idea or pretty feasible? I’d like to find a spot that maybe had some trees and a creek for the kids to play around so their not board out of their mind, but I could TOTALLY be wishing for something that doesn’t exist. I have absolutely no idea of what to expect. If enough people chimed in and said “wait for the kids to get a little older before dropping them in the vastness of WY” I would probably take their advice as well.

I should stop there before I ramble on much further. Looking forward to what you guys think!

Welcome!

I have 2 and 4 year old boys and can't even imagine taking them on a hunting trip! Let alone adding in a baby! I would definitely do a trial run somewhere near your house for a weekend and see how it goes. Your wife is one hell of a keeper if she is willing to take care of the kids in a camper for a few days while you're out hunting!

Most antelope units have very little in the way of trees and creeks. Yea there are some but for the most part, it's just wide open country. Finding a group of trees to camp at takes some looking. Thus, I feel like your boys might get awfully bored. Plus I'd be worried about them running around and finding a rattlesnake.

I would just go solo or get a friend to go if I were you. Then take your wife on a vacation somewhere else.

This topic came up the other day on a first time antelope hunt. https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?285468-2019-First-Time-Antelope-Hunt
I posted some links in there to prior similar threads. Check them out and they might help you with the overall hunt.

I say go for it. This is exactly what I did this year. Albeit, I only have one child. My wife, three year old son, and I pulled our small enclosed trailer out to an area of the National Grasslands which bordered BLM. We set up the trailer about a mile off the main road and stayed there all week. There were numerous camps right off of that road, and we met some really nice people. I was lucky enough to tag out early on the first day about two miles from camp, so I didn't feel pressured to hunt tirelessly. When the animals spread out we made several short jaunts in the truck and scanned additional public land in attempt to fill my wife's tag. We had plenty of toys with us and brought our UTV as well, so there were plenty of things to do. Early on in my son's life, my wife and I decided that we are not going to adapt our lives because we have a child. We include him in the things we like to do. You could waste a lot of precious time if you are always waiting for the time to be right.

I say go for it. This is exactly what I did this year. Albeit, I only have one child. My wife, three year old son, and I pulled our small enclosed trailer out to an area of the National Grasslands which bordered BLM. We set up the trailer about a mile off the main road and stayed there all week. There were numerous camps right off of that road, and we met some really nice people. I was lucky enough to tag out early on the first day about two miles from camp, so I didn't feel pressured to hunt tirelessly. When the animals spread out we made several short jaunts in the truck and scanned additional public land in attempt to fill my wife's tag. We had plenty of toys with us and brought our UTV as well, so there were plenty of things to do. Early on in my son's life, my wife and I decided that we are not going to adapt our lives because we have a child. We include him in the things we like to do. You could waste a lot of precious time if you are always waiting for the time to be right.

100% agreed! I take my kids everywhere.....
Matt

Pronghorn aren't deer. You're going to want to be mobile. Hunting from camp probably isn't going to happen.

That being said, I think your idea of setting up in a "fun spot" for the family, and then driving out to hunt, is doable. Pronghorn hunting can be pretty relaxed. If you've got more than a couple of days, you don't need to be out there pre-dawn until after dark. They're visible and huntable all day long.

More importantly, do you have any Wyoming preference points for antelope (pronghorn) ? That's going to limit where you can go.

As others have said in the prairies where you'll find the majority of the antelope there are not many trees to park near, however your plan can be accomplished anywhere. Bring the trailer, find a spot, and you can drive around and hunt. Hell you can bring the kids in the truck at times too. I just went to unit 7 with my wife and kids (10, 6, and 3) and the first day they drove around with me for hours looking for antelope. My kids did get a little stir crazy but with all the sight seeing we were able to do it is a trip they wont forget it.
Again like others have said, find a unit you can draw with 0 preference points (check toprut for that, you can also see harvest % and how much public land is available in the unit) like I did, get onto OnX maps and find areas you can camp and hunt and make it happen. You will enjoy the experience and it will be great family memories.

I did this during August in CO this year with an 11 month old and my wife. It wasn't easy for them, but it worked out. Wasn't successful with my bow, but fun nonetheless. Hunting to me is family oriented, so I try to involve my family when it makes sense.

7Hpxxoz.jpg

I think antelope are one of the easiest critters to do a hunt with family/kids on. I have been going antelope hunting since before I could remember, and it usually entailed one parent in the pickup with us dropping off the other parent to hunt and watching at a distance with binos. If your wife is ok dropping you off and staying with the kids in the pickup and picking you up at arranged places, it should work fine. Often times she could be able to watch you at a distance stalking and come out to meet you after the shot. My wife and I had to babysit our nephew yesterday who just turned 4 and hasn't been hunting before this season (dad doesn't hunt so he didn't grow up in it) and he went mulie hunting with us all day, including on stalks and did fine. We kept it interesting for him and carried him a bit, but he was happy to go. Having binos to look through and seeing lots of deer and coyotes made him pretty happy

Definitely doable with the right expectations, you can't go into it with the mindset that you need to harvest something to be successful. If you decide to take the fam it needs to be a family camping trip that might include some hunting, not a hunting trip with the family.

I would probably get doe tags... just because I know that if I had a buck tag I would be tempted to look for a good buck rather than just take the first legal animal I saw. With pronghorn you could probably find a decent camping spot and then load up the whole family in the truck and drive BLM roads until you found an animal and then jump out for a stalk.

Definitely not a trip for all families... but my parents took my sister and I on backpacking trips when we were that age, I have a family photo of me 3 miles in as 6 week old.

Make some memories, but don't let expectations get the better of you.

Wow you guys are awesome! I didn’t expect this many responses with me being a new member...that says a lot for the community here.

You guys have given me a lot to think about for sure!

I have no kids but when my wife goes out with me, we usually stay at a KOA. She is a big fan of the hot running water and real bathrooms. If there is one near where you plan to hunt, that may be an option. Most, if not all have Wifi and they wouldn't be 'stuck in the middle of nowhere'. You would have to drive a bit to hunt but likely not more than a half hour or so to get in to some antelope. You'll be surprised at the cell reception in many areas and would be able to text/call your wife to check in and vice versa.

If you are in a decent area and aren't picky, you can make a pronghorn hunt go as quick or last as long as you like. Pick a good unit and you could probably fill your tag in an hour or 2 and spend the rest of the week fishing, sightseeing, and relaxing around the fire. It's just up to you whether you want the hunting portion of your trip to go so quickly, or if you think the rest of the family can endure a longer hunt.

I would definitely bring them if the wife showed legitimate interest, I would just go into it with a different plan and different set of expectations than if I were solo. I think it's a great thing that you both want to get the whole family involved.

Great advice guys. I was just leery of leaving my wife vehicleless and possibly without cell service while I’m out hunting. I’ve got two curious boys and I just worry about the things that “could happen” while I’m out and she would be basically stranded. She mentioned renting another vehicle for a few days when we got there which may not be a bad idea...

Great advice guys. I was just leery of leaving my wife vehicleless and possibly without cell service while I’m out hunting. I’ve got two curious boys and I just worry about the things that “could happen” while I’m out and she would be basically stranded. She mentioned renting another vehicle for a few days when we got there which may not be a bad idea...

You could just have her drop you off in the morning and meet back in the afternoon, or hunt on foot from camp. This year we parked our cars at camp and didn't move them for 3 days, everyone tagged out (leftover unit).

https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?285370-The-boys-head-to-WY&highlight=boys

wllm-

That would be my ideal situation right there! Looks like you found the ideal spot too. And you all three got NICE bucks...now all I need is the coordinates :p looks like it was a great hunt. Congrats!!

Does looks like the perfect spot though. I need to read up on their site because I don’t understand ya leftover tags thing. I was under the impression that most units sold out or just simply didn’t have the public land available to support a “decent” hunt. I also feel like I’ll know MUCH more just after making the trip out there.

Last edited:
Took my kids along on a doe hunt and gave them a few hours at the Dinosaur Museum at the University in Laramie. They loved it and still talk about those Dino’s. I think they were 6 & 4 back then. Antelope hunting is pure fun. No need for long hours or brutal pack outs. And...if you do blow a stalk or shoot over one....there’s always another herd just over a ridge or 2.

I say Go for it!

I was under the impression that most units sold out or just simply didn’t have the public land available to support a “decent” hunt.

When it the WY website says "This unit contains limited public access" what it means is " You may actually have to get out of your truck to hunt." For instance unit 25 has 50k acres of public land in it, but it's only accessible from a couple of points and you have to walk. That unit is typically a 2nd Choice unit that you could hunt every year.

Usually not much need for the antelope hunt to last more than a day. Kill the goat and then go see the sights.

When it the WY website says "This unit contains limited public access" what it means is " You may actually have to get out of your truck to hunt." For instance unit 25 has 50k acres of public land in it, but it's only accessible from a couple of points and you have to walk. That unit is typically a 2nd Choice unit that you could hunt every year.

Good to know! That’s more of what I’d prefer anyway. It may sound dumb to some, but I want to experience the drainages, the sage, the rocks, native grasses and tracks in the soil. If I wanted to drive around and see animals I’d stay on the pavement.

Usually not much need for the antelope hunt to last more than a day. Kill the goat and then go see the sights.

That’s kind of what I have in my mind, but then I hear of guys hunting for a week struggling to find anything “decent” and then shooting a 6” buck....I guess I just don’t want to go to a unit and be like “shoot...not nearly enough animals here to hunt” or “well...I can only access 200 acres in this entire unit- wish I’d have done more homework”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back