Let me copy your muzzleloader process.

To clarify, Sabots are not illegal to hunt with in Montana unless you are in a weapons restricted area.

This is true...I've had luck with casting my own Lee REAL bullets for weapons restricted areas though getting them to engage the rifling at first can be tough.

My load is 100 grains of BH209, 50caliber nitro card, 250 grain Lee R.E.A.L. with a Federal 209A primer.

I'm working on a non-lead load for my Lehigh Defense bullets but am struggling to get them to shoot so I'm locked into 100 yard shots until I have time to tinker...81.5 (by weight) BH209, Knight Bloodsport (aka Lehigh defense), Harvester black sabot, and Federal 209A primer.

After cleaning, I fire 3 primers then squib load like 20 grains under a 50 cal nitro card. I actually prefer to fire one or 2 rounds at a target then load for hunting.

Last edited:
I've got a CVA Accura; here's what I've settled on: Barnes TEZ 250 gr/blue sabot; 2 discs of 50 gr White Hots, CCI magnum primer. Clean barrel - dry patch - fire 2 primers (to assure barrel is dry of any grease or cleaning fluid) before loading. I've decided that firing a "group" after cleaning the barrel between shots doesn't mean much, so I shot the first shot through the clean barrel, then load and shoot a 2nd shot without any cleaning or even dry patch swabbing. That just seemed more realistic to me for hunting situations. Two shots within an inch or a little less at 100 yds was my result. Successive trips to the range have confirmed zero and accuracy.

I've got a CVA Accura; here's what I've settled on: Barnes TEZ 250 gr/blue sabot; 2 discs of 50 gr White Hots, CCI magnum primer. Clean barrel - dry patch - fire 2 primers (to assure barrel is dry of any grease or cleaning fluid) before loading. I've decided that firing a "group" after cleaning the barrel between shots doesn't mean much, so I shot the first shot through the clean barrel, then load and shoot a 2nd shot without any cleaning or even dry patch swabbing. That just seemed more realistic to me for hunting situations. Two shots within an inch or a little less at 100 yds was my result. Successive trips to the range have confirmed zero and accuracy.

I may go this route since I'm trying to move away from lead.

I have the same gun.

I run Hornady XTP 240 grains with a 100 grains of 777 pellets. I know you can get much better accuracy out of the loose powder but I have had good luck and it has never been an issue.

If the gun is getting shot for the first time after a cleaning I always run a dry patch and then fire off a primer. If I am at the range I will run a wet patch after every 3rd shot. Then I run a dry patch and fire off a primer.

Always clean after range time before hunting and start the same process. Never leave a fired muzzle loader without cleaning. If I load my muzzy but don't end up shooting I will always leave it in the truck or garage. I made the mistake of taking it in and out when I started and the temp changes can cause condensation. I missed a doe and watch the bullet fall out the end of the gun.

The above process is almost identical to mine. I have a CVA Kodiak, 28 in. barrel. I shoot a 250 grain Barnes Expander MZ with 100 grains of 777 pelleted powder. As a P.S.A, mark your ramrod!

I find my particular ML strings shots out the dirtier the barrel gets, so I spit patch and dry patch after each shot when I am targeting shooting. If I need a follow up in the field, which has happened, I don't use a patch between shots as the string from shot 1 to shot 2 is negligible, and there is usually not time for a patch. The spit patch in between shots also seems to help the cleaning job at the end of the day. I also clean it the same day it is shot. As such, I hunt with a clean barrel.

To add to the effective range discussion I can say this...before I owned a rangefinder I took a shot I felt comfortable with. It was lethal but not as immediate as it should have been. After buying a rangefinder years later I ranged that shot, 183 yards. Never again with that combination I told myself. I feel better at 150 strangely, but in MI all but 2 shots I have taken with it were under 125 yards and I am extremely confident with it at that range.

Thanks for the replies! Going to revive the thread to ask another question.

Those of you using loose powder...do you unload by taking out the breach plug or firing a round? I don't want to waste too many expensive bullets (not to mention creating excess noise) but also don't want a mess to clean up afterwards. If you leave a load in the gun, how long before you fire/unload? Especially if you live in a humid climate. Thanks again!

I’ve done both. Now we will just leave it secured in a cold place so there is no condensation. Our season is two weeks and we haven’t had an issue with it not firing when we needed it to. If it has to go in a place where it’s warm than you have to empty it one way or another every night.

I always take the breach plug out and hold a baggy under it to catch the powder and bullet. I push them out using my cleaning rod form the muzzle end. That way I don't waste any thing and no mess.

T/C Triumph. Dirty barrel. 100 grn charge of BH209. 250 grain Thor tipped. CCI209 primer.

Love the Thor bullet. Doesn't kick the snot out of me. Be sure to get the sizing kit to get the right diameter. I have two TC rifles, each use different diameter bullets. Otherwise it's the same load of powder and bullet.

Both rifles were also very accurate with 370 grain MaxiBall and 460 grain No Excuses, and 348 grain Power Belts.

Tried a similar concept today. 250 grain tez with 2 triple 7 pellets and Winchester primers. Accuracy much improved and seemed less sensitive to dirty/clean barrel. However, they did get harder to load with a dirtier barrel. We'll see how it does over a few trips. Thanks!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back