Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Sheep or deer sign - How to tell the difference?

Paul in Idaho

The past few years, I have been searching for mule deer in an area where bighorn sheep share the same habitat. I have seen sheep far more frequently than deer, and am working to decide from tracks and scat whether deer or sheep are using certain spots that seem like good buck habitat. I'm hoping those of you who hunt sheep can help point me toward some characteristics that separate sheep from deer sign.

Here's one pile I found earlier this season in a high basin. I saw 2 rams a few hundred yards from here, but also a small rubbed tree nearby. Do you think this was more likely left by a sheep or deer, and what do you base your identification on?

IMG_3486.jpg

looks more like deer. At least do not see telltale pointy end common to bighorn scat. Nor indention on opposite end. here is bighorn scat.

Attachments

• 5142180A-13CE-4823-BD79-0347B21A8B4A.jpeg
    5142180A-13CE-4823-BD79-0347B21A8B4A.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 276
I found a nice skeleton and head of a buck in that country years ago when I was on a sheep hunt. I think the deer don't real get in there until later in the year. I saw very few deer on my hunt. Amazing country, though.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back